It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:09 am

Free Newsletter

Looking for support and motivation!

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Looking for support and motivation!

Postby 60kg2go! » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:31 pm

Hi There!

Im not new to wanting to lose weight, but am new to this forum :)

Im a mum of 2 gorgeous girls eldest is 10yrs old and my baby is 4 months :) Im still breastfeeding so cant do anything too radical :) Im 28, currently on maternity leave. I have a massive 60 kg to lose (I am 118kg) :( 25 of that is baby weight. Unfortunately Im not one of those lucky people who leave the maternity ward looking like they've never had a child, nor am I one of those lucky people who shed the baby weight just by breastfeeding! Sooo, long hard emotional road here we come!

I'd love to be able to go to the gym, but with a breastfeeding teething 4 month old there is no routine other than bedtime, so I try to exercise for at least an hour a day doing yoga, pilates, low/high impact aerobicsor dance aerobics (am yet to try zumba on the Wii!) or going for a 3km walk - all depends on my day :) I try to mix it up a bit. My Dr told me I need to walk at least 5km 7 days a week to see any sort of change which angered me! As long as I am doing something daily for at least an hour that should be enough right?

Looking forward to getting to know you and hearing of your success!

Re: Looking for support and motivation!

Postby lmffph » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:01 pm

Hello and welcome.

There's a few of us here in the 60kg+ club.

Not sure where your doctor's getting their information from. My doctor told me to start with 30minutes brisk walking 3-4 times a week. Building up to an hour exercise 3-4 times a week. It might be worth getting a different opinion.

As for dieting while breast feeding - no idea!! Might be a question for a nutritionist. There's probably some resources available on the interwebs as well!

Good luck!
Short term goal

SW - 131.5kg on 2/1/2012
New SW - 125.1 on 19/11/2012
GW - 70-80kg

125kg - 19/11/2012
120kg -
115kg -
110kg -
105kg -
100kg -

Postby babylove » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:09 am

Hi! I'm a mum of three who exercised thru pregnancy, after the births and while breastfeeding. You have higher calorie needs to keep making good amounts of milk, ohhhh and lot s and lots of water!
84Kg starting weight
78 kg current weight
65 kg goal weight
Inches lost
Bust 3
Waist 3
hips 1
Thigh 1
Bicep 0.5

Postby 60kg2go! » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:40 pm

Thanks Ladies. I agree Fiona - I think the drs opinion was quite inconsiderate and rude. Thanks baby love. I tried to get some form of exercise in whilst pregnant but I was so exhausted all the time. Once I came home from work I slept. Not fair to my other child though! Am struggling to stay motivated :/

Postby Mayden » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:32 am

Welcome to the forum, I also thought your doctors advice was a bit harsh, mine was happy with 20 minutes per day. You are doing an amazing job, just looking after the kids. Eat healthy and drink plenty of water, bubs will be fine. Good luck.
30th April 77 Kilos I am so determined to get to this goal
Mid June 73 kilos
Mid August 69 kilos
November 68 Kilos

Postby 60kg2go! » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:40 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I thought I'd come and update my thread (nothing worse than a thread not being updated!)

I joined Curves and am doing Curves weight management. I have lost 10kg and feeling MUCH better about myself. Still have a way to go ... but I know I'll get there!

Postby mrsdavegrohl » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:18 pm

Hi and welcome

Great job on the 10kg you've already lost, that is a big achievement, just use it as your motivation to lose the next 10kg, and bit by bit, you'll get there. I also have a fair amount of weight to lose, started well, but am just treading water at the moment, I'm hoping it's people like you who will inspire me to push harder!

Postby Metalcharm » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:41 am

Congrats on your losses so far.

Exercise: an hour a day is great but make sure you're getting your heart rate up. Stretches, yoga and the like are great for toning but for weight loss you need to get the heart rate going.

Weight loss is more about diet though than exercise.

You will need more calories while feeding but make sure you eat the RIGHT things and loss will happen.
Making breast milk requires extra energy ... I found this that might help.

An exclusively breastfeeding mother, on average, needs to take in 300-500 calories per day above what was needed to maintain pre-pregnancy weight. Since the recommended added calories during the last two trimesters of pregnancy is 300 calories/day, an exclusively breastfeeding mother will typically need either the same amount of calories she was getting at the end of pregnancy, or up to 200 additional calories per day. That’s the equivalent of adding 1-2 healthy snacks per day.

I think the key word there is HEALTHY snacks. ... es-fluids/

good luck!

Return to Introductions