It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:18 am

Free Newsletter

Desperately need to lose weight

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Desperately need to lose weight

Postby desperatetobehealthy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:44 am

Hi I am new to this sort of thing but am hopeing it will help. I am 29 & used to weigh 60kg & thought i was "FAT" now that I am a smidgen under 100kg 60kg dont look so bad.. I used to horse ride but have a busted tailbone so makes it difficult, I cannot afford a personal trainer or to join a gym, or even to join anything like weight watchers. I am gluten/lactose intolarant.. My job involves farming so I am on the move ALOT. I just dont know how to loose the weight, all i have to do is look at sugar & i gain 5kg :/ ,,,,, PLEASE if any one can help or have an idea OR if you have found a not so expensive weightloss group PLEASE PLEASE help me, my weight is affecting my health & my abillity to have children!!

Re: Desperately need to lose weight

Postby babylove » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi and welcome! Is it possible you've gained weight as a result of depression, its very common after accidents...
I encourage you to join in here, maybe join my fitness, and start making small changes. Increases in mobility like walking, and switch up some food choices. You can do this. Good luck.
84Kg starting weight
78 kg current weight
65 kg goal weight
Inches lost
Bust 3
Waist 3
hips 1
Thigh 1
Bicep 0.5

Postby desperatetobehealthy » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:50 am

I still walk/run, I am a shearer of sheep/goats/alpaca's & getting the alpaca's ready for shearing (flipping them) is a very physical job.... I am garanteeing 4-5 years ago when i used to eat strawberry dounuts like there was no tomorrow is when i gained the weight, I dont eat alot now BUT I am unsure as to how to merge to a beter meal plan (esp. when I live with my skinny husband who could do with a few more kg's lol & my mum + am on a tight budget). With healthyier eating I am sure I would loose weight, my body would have less "kinks" in it, I would feel better & would probbly loose more weight. I broke my tailbone 1 year ago, in-ability to have children has depressed me but IF i can loose the flab i may just fall pregnant :D

Postby SugarandSpice » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:51 pm

Sounds like you are probably burning off a few calories during the day with the shearing lol.

The trick is that to lose weight you need the intake to be less than the output. So if you eat 3000 cal a day and only burn off 2000 - you will put on weight. if you do 3000 - 3000 - you should maintain weight, eat 1500 - burn off 2000 = lose weight. Hope that makes sense?

What sort of meals do you eat at the moment? Can you increase the vegies on your serves?? try to set your plate up = 1/4 protein (meat/chicken/egg/cheese etc) 1/4 carbs (potato, pasta, rice, bread etc) and 1/2 plate vegies.... and you can always use a smaller plate than your hubby??

If you join up to one of the other calorie counter sites you will find they will work out a rough guide for how many calories you should eat per day to lose weight. You can also enter all you eat and the exercise you do so you can see where you are each day.

I think it can go either way - you can get annoyed at having to measure and count calories or you fall in love with it. I suppose it depends on the individual.

Hope that helps
Good Luck
Created by - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Postby äirly » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:36 pm

Another good site that few people on here have used is (make sure you add the 'au' - there is also an American site which is NOT free - but the aussie site is :wink: )

Doesnt cost anything but your time, but there is options to input your stats (weight, height age and so on) and level of activity and it'll tell you how many calories you need to eat to lose weight each week. There is also a food database where you can see the calories of food - so it takes awhile but you can calculate how much is in your current diet and where changes need to be made.

You must be very fit, and im sure your actually very healthy with that amount of exercise, but the main point is your definitely eating too much. To lose weight you'll need to create a deficit, which means either eating LESS overall, or eating different foods (ie, less calorie dense stuff). To lose 1 kg you need to create a 7000 cal deficit. (Thats basic terms anyway - one thing ive learnt over the years that losing weight is a LOT MORE than just maths - the more you look in to it the more complicated it gets!).

If you arent one to look at the nitty gritty, and just want some basic advise, really its just about eating more fruit, veg, healthy meat sources (if your not vegetarian) and eating less refined carbs (bread, pasta) and sugar.
HW: 84kgs (2011) got down to 67kgs (2012)
SW: 74kgs - (2013) post baby!
CW: 68kgs (Updated 6 May 2014)
GW: 62-64kgs (size 10)

Return to Introductions