It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:28 pm

Free Newsletter

Hi, my story and plea for goal advice.

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hi, my story and plea for goal advice.

Postby let it shine » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:33 pm

Hi everyone! I'm happy to find a social support network on this journey that doesn't require a financial or set day/time commitment.

I am in my late 30's, only around 158cm tall and am pushing guesstimately 80 kg. Most of my 20's I was an average weight and had a very small waist measurement to make me feel fine about the way I looked and always thought I wasn't vain enough to care as long as my health was in tact and I could actively achieve all the things I wanted. Then when I hit 30, I started to get a stomach and suddenly started to care, so I went on the first diet of my life. I never believed in fad diets, low carb or any of the other 'fake' techniques and simply ate and exercised the way I knew I should. Within months, I was a size 8-10 and I maintained it for 3 years. Then I got a desk job high in stress, discovered little time for the gym and a lot of corporate lunches and morning teas, had a 3rd child, went through a marriage breakdown and ovarian cancer plus a second cancer scare. All 'plausible' excuses to let things go but now I am no longer working in the high stress job, am cancer free, have dealt with a divorce over 3 years ago, love being a single parent of 3 amazing children, enjoy my studies and the truth is, I just got lazy and let myself keep slumping in the matter of looking after myself.

My goal is about health, not kgs or dress size. I have reached a point where I feel stodgy and lazy, my skin, hair, mood and general health all show that I am not living the best way and it is time to change. However, looking at this forum, I see setting a measurable goal is all a part of the successful formula. Although I did not even own a set of scales last time I lost weight and maintained it, I must admit I did wish I could have answered all of the questions about how much I lost as many looked admiringly at me, wanting to know what 'magic secret' I had used.

So, for that reason, I am going to buy a set of scales tomorrow to officially start off on my new health kick and to weigh myself once a week and would like help setting a goal. I have heard the best starting goal is to lose 10% of your weight to begin with. The other I see quoted over this forum in 0.5-1kg per week. I also see getting the ideal height/weight ratio and setting that as your goal is popular. What does everyone suggest?

Thanks.
let it shine

Re: Hi, my story and plea for goal advice.

Postby SugarandSpice » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:01 pm

Hi let it shine and welcome :D

I think it is great that you are making changes to improve your health.

Goals are tricky... I have set myself a reward for every 10 kg's I lose (I have a lot to lose). Other than that I will be happy to see the numbers on the scales getting lower each week. I have no specific goal for weight loss each week as I am just hoping that making these changes like you will mean I am healthier, the weight loss is a positive side affect!!!

Good luck!
Vicki
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
SugarandSpice

Return to Introductions