It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:05 pm

Free Newsletter

Hello All

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hello All

Postby Jodes77 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:51 pm

My name is Jodie. I am a 34 happily married Mum of 5 children... I want to loose a lot of weight, I was diagnosed with PCOS two years ago and has made the process a little harder... I did loose weight a year go, after my doctor put me on duromine and was told I had gallstones... As the gallstones dont affect me to much they want me to try and loose weight before the operation as my weight can cause complications in surgery... I was on a good track to we shifted and with the stress of that and settling the kids into a new school, I went off track and now weigh more than ever... I have anxiety and slight social phobia due to my weight and not feeling good about myself... I know my well being and health is more important and I need to act now before its too late.. I am hoping joining this forum i will help

Looking forward to being apart of this forum :)
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Jodes77

Re: Hello All

Postby SugarandSpice » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:16 am

Hi Jodie and welcome!!

I hope this forum does help you with your goals. I know it is helping me with mine!!

I can relate to the anxiety - I have social anxiety, I feel like I am being judged all the time and always negatively. A lot of that has to do with my weight, but some also relates to childhood, when I was always extremely shy and hid behind my mother. This then turned into being shy and basically hiding behind my husband, now I have no-one to hide behind it is very daunting. I don't often leave the house alone, one of my kids comes with me - even if I have to beg and bribe lol. I feel like their is safety in numbers for some reason? Well my kids are all teenagers and are really getting sick of it - so it is something I have to overcome as well and I am sure that losing weight will help give me back some confidence - hope it does the same for you!

Vicki
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
SugarandSpice

Postby Jodes77 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:36 pm

Hello Vicki, Your post was like reading my story.. Except I am remarried and have a great husband that is very supportive and helps with my anxiety alot..

It is time for me to stop hiding behind him and the kids and loose this anxiety and social anxiety by loosing weight, feeling good about myself and being more confident..

I have approached my doctor as I have had swollen feet a lot and now fear it could be serious.Waiting on results from tests. In the mean time she wants me to try face my fear by calling someone to say hello, go for a walk on my own, say hello to a stranger in the street and say hello to another Mum at the kids School...

My Doctor has also booked me int to talk about these anxiety's further and maybe go see someone to talk about my anxiety and fears...

I have started a Food and Exercise Diary to help track my process...

Thankyou for the Welcome :)
Jodes77

Postby SugarandSpice » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:51 pm

Haha... your response is like reading my story lol.

My feet swell really badly all the time - the Dr told me - there is nothing wrong with you it's just from your weight!! I had heart scan (can't remember what it was called) and all good, I also have type 2 diabetes, severe sleep apnoea and high blood pressure from the excess weight - so need to shift some!!!

I hate speaking on the phone, and where possible e-mail everyone... other than that unless I know it is someone I want to talk to I let it go to voice mail lol. Very strange as I was not like that when working - only when I'm 'me'. I used to be a bank manager and dealt with the public a lot, I have worked in shops etc and volunteered to do Christmas wrapping at shopping centre for charity - all of this I am OK with as it is the 'business' me - not the 'me' me. - if that makes sense? Although I haven't worked for a while and being stuck at home doesn't help....

If you want to talk any of it through with anyone just give me a holler...

Good work starting the food and exercise diary :D

Vicki
SugarandSpice

Postby Jodes77 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:47 pm

lol... Its good to know i am not the only one out there :)

I am really hoping its from my weight... I wore sneakers for the first time in ages while walking and my feet have not swelled at all today.. Weird?
When your doctor mentions it could be nothing, or your heart, or kidneys.. you mind starts to wonder and fear sets in. Especially more since my mum was diagnosed with heart failure two years ago.

I have previously had the blood test for Diabetes and it was negative. I re had the blood test again for it today, with many other blood tests.. Hoping they come back clear... My doctor did say my blood pressure was high yesterday but she said that could be due to anxiety... I was very nervous, had cold prickly feeling sweep over me. A the same time I was really hot and my hands were sweating. I always get this feeling in any social situation or when scared...

For the last two nights has been at its worse but i know it is because i am anxious about blood test results...

I loving my new doctor, she is very friendly, kind and full of encouragement. As hard as it was to admit my anxiety and social anxiety, i am feeling a little sigh of relief and hoping at the next appt we can find some way of coping with the anxiety.

I have always been shy and overweight since i was in highschool... I was 20 when i met my first husband and he slowed sucked me in and made me believe no one loved me, you have to me skinny to have friends, kept putting me down. Slowly withdrawing me from the world into his world .... I had 5 children to this man in the 10 years we were together.. I was physically and mentally abused, controlled, not allowed outside the front unless he was with me. Not allowed to have my own purse, bank card, money nothing..

One day it all changed, he accidentally left his phone home while picking up the older children from school and I got the courage to call my parents to come and get me and the children. The sad thing is and i did not realize this until we left, I lived a double life for ten years and my parents did not have one clue this was happening. I was 30 when i left... I had to learn everything,buying my own clothes to paying bills and looking after 5 children on my own... The oldest three remember a lot and 2 of them have been through counselling... The younger 2 were too young to remember. My oldest son is Autistic ( High Functioning)... it does not seem to have effect him as much thank goodness..

Must be hard having diabetes, I have seen what it has done to my mum. I dont have any sleeping problems luckily...

I understand what your saying that when its business it is different.. I could not do any of those things, I fear i would embarrass myself or do something wrong.. Being stuck at home does not help at all.. I only have one friend that lives around the corner my other close friends live to far away.. the only person i talk on the phone to is my mum. Besides my friend, my husband and our parents i dont socialize with no one and i know that is not healthy and really need to find ways to chat and talk to people...

Jodie

We all live a different life now full of love, freedom, respect and encouragement... The kids lives have changed dramatically and all are doing great in school and are all confident and bright... They love my second husband and call him Dad...
Jodes77

Postby SugarandSpice » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:27 pm

Hey Jodie,

wow - you went through hell from the sounds of it, unfortunately this happens far too often :(

I am glad you have a new life that is positive and full of love and your children are doing well and it is great that your family are close still. Unfortunately for me it was my mother who started all the self doubt with me... your too fat (at the time I was a size 8), she made me believe I was not worthy of much at all and so I married a man who treated me the same way. I lived like that until one day about 4 years ago I realised he was treating the kids the same way and I asked him to leave - do what you want to me - but mess with my kids and you are history!!! lol A few years later I had to also remove my mother from our lives as she was having a very negative affect on the kids also - especially my daughter who was just heading for her teens.... So I have a sister who is really young (25) who lives near but rarely see her as she works shift work, my Mum is now allowed to visit but we only see her for a cup of coffee a few times a year, the kids dad visits them for a few hours every two months or so.... I have 1 friend and see her maybe every fortnight for coffee?

I have 2 new puppies - so my daughter and I are taking them to dog obedience - hopefully I will be able to meet people there? We had our first night and I basically stood around with my dog whilst my daughter flitted around meeting new people and new dogs - lol, but it should pretty much be the same people every week and I have my daughter with me so should be fine. At the moment I basically live my life through facebook lol. Are you comfortable with talking to people online like that? There is a group called carer for carers - has a lot of families with autistic kids involved? If you are interested in joining (you don't have to post) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/340571189297667/

It's great that you have found a Dr you are comfortable with!! Has your Dr spoken to you about seeing a psychologist at all for your anxiety - it may help? You can get a mental health plan for up to 10 subsidised visits per year - may still have to pay something - depends where you live and what psychologists are in the area??

To be honest I think I am still in denial about the diabetes - I never test my sugar levels, although I am on medication and eating properly so hopefully they are ok? I know that is bad - but the Dr did say if I lost weight it would probably go away - so am crossing my fingers for that.

Good luck with all your results, chat soon

Take Care
Vicki
SugarandSpice

Postby Jodes77 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:40 pm

Hey Vicki,

Must of been hard growing up with a Mother like that. I was always was close with my Mum and still am today, I could not imagine what it was like for you.. having two daughter's of myself, I always encourage them and always there for them.. Sorry to hear your Mum had a negative effect on your children, her loss though. Your Mother is missing out on so much...

I have two brother's, both younger then me and like you I never see them hardly. They both have a broken marriage with Children, which is hard because I miss my nieces and the kids miss their cousin's..

We also have two dogs. Gizmo is a pure bred Shitzu and is nearly 2 and Storm is a pure bred Husky and is nearly a year old.. They get on like best friends and love sleeping together on their beds.. I am the same as long as I have someone with me i feel a little better... Good luck with Dog Obedience, sounds like fun!... What breed are your two pups? I am more a dog person then a cat person. Although we do have a cat too, her name is socks she is burmese. A lovely natured cat :).

Thank You for the Facebook link will go and have a look and join... I am not usually comfortable talking online to people but I am am pushing myself out of my comfort zone. It would be good to find a local group, one that meets once a week. A walking group, a support group, or even group that meet for coffee.. At least it is getting out and talking to people.

Yes I have spoken to my doctor she wants to see me in 2 weeks time for a 20 minute appointment to discuss my anxiety further and if it would help to see a Psychologist... Thank you for the information about the Mental Health Plan, I never knew existed... If my doctor does not mention it I will do so..

My good friend around has Diabetes too, she was in denial for the first few years but now has to go on insulin. Now she is taking it seriously... I have been very supportive and been there for her through it.

Hoping your Diabetes goes away with weightloss that would be great :) Fingers crossed for you...

Talk Soon and Take Care

Jodie
Jodes77

Postby Mayden » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:07 pm

A big welcome Jodie, you girls are just amazing, I only see you as strong and courageous. Where can I start, I know I have 2 dogs as well, and a horrid cat. lol

I do not see me losing much in the next month or so, I have to spend all next week at the computer, then away with the folks for a month, hubby has to stay and look after the dogs.

I seem to have given up all junk, I feel I look a lot better, but the scales are not changing much. I will try and exercise more when away, so I will see.

Cheers

Dee
Goals
30th April 77 Kilos I am so determined to get to this goal
Mid June 73 kilos
Mid August 69 kilos
November 68 Kilos
Mayden

Postby Jodes77 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:20 pm

Hello Dee, Thank you for the Welcome... I wish i felt strong and courageous but thank you :) .. Maybe you could exercise while your at the computer, is typing a form of exercise lol.

You must be looking forward to going away for awhile, Hope you have a great time.. Aww poor Hubby, at least he has the dogs and cat to keep him company.

Thats a great start, keep going :) I am sure the results will show soon. Stay positive.

Jodie
Jodes77

Postby SugarandSpice » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:24 pm

Hey Jodie,

Hope you found the link helpful - lots of shared stories there...

My dogs are Sugar - bull arab x (14 weeks) and Spice - staffy (12 weeks)... we also have 2 cats and they all seem to get along most of the time..

Take Care

Vicki
SugarandSpice

Postby Jodes77 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:25 pm

Hello Vicki,

Yes i did thank you :) I had a read through last night, very interesting..

Hope your having a good weekend

Take Care

Jodie
Jodes77

Return to Introductions