It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:17 am

Free Newsletter

Ignorance is not bliss!

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Ignorance is not bliss!

Postby Mrsdizzichick » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:15 pm

Hi everyone,
My name is Deeny and yesterday I had an appointment with my Dr. to remove an Implanon. ( Hubby and I are contemplating adding to our little family ) While there she explained my recent blood test results.
The words "Pre-Diabetic" came up, along with "higher than normal cholesterol".
I'm still in a little shock. Though I have no reason to be shocked at all.
I'm nearly 37yrs, 161cms and 92kgs. I don't exercise at all and I eat terribly. (Especially when others aren't looking)
What was I expecting? Yes, I'm fat, but pre-diabetic?? I know some diabetics, and it's not something I have been aiming for. I have lost and gained weight (mostly gained) for nearly 20 yrs now. This is my first weight related health scare, and it has quite honestly scared the crap out of me!
My mother has been severely overweight as long I can remember. She has high blood pressure, asthma, terrible digestive problems, sleep apnoea, depression, anxiety and she is in constant pain from the 70+ kgs on her 155cm frame. I have watched her get worse and worse over the years and have somehow blocked out the fact that I am leading myself straight into the same life she now has.
I have 2 young girls who adore me (and their grandma). Up until this moment they have had two obese women as their main women role models. I don't want this cycle to continue, it can't continue. My girls deserve a healthy mum and to be in the right environment so they can live a long and healthy life. And I want to be right there beside them!

So last night I got online and started trying to find a way to document my weight loss and find some online support. This site looks great and the few posts I have read in the forum make me feel hopeful and less alone. I've started writing down everything that passes my lips and using mynetdiary on my iphone, which is great. Who knew cornflakes were that bad!!

I look forward to getting to know a bunch of you while I start living my life the way it should be lived. I have a supportive husband, but he works away from home 2 -3 weeks a month at the moment, so he can only help so much. Any advice will be welcomed. Is there a particular post you can log in weekly to do a weigh in or anything? Haven't been on a weight loss forum before. Still negotiating my way around.

Best wishes to you all. Thanks in advance

17/2/12 92.3kg starting weight
8/4/13 65kg Goal weight
27.3 kgs to lose
Mrsdizzichick

Re: Ignorance is not bliss!

Postby SugarandSpice » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:31 pm

Hi and welcome!!

Yes, sometimes it does take a Dr or someone else to make us truly look at who we are and where we are heading!! Hopefully you will get everything under control through diet. I know I had been sent for numerous diabetes tests and always came back fine - then the last one - I went straight to "you have type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, liver problems etc..." - they all come with the diabetes unfortunately - but my Dr did say if I lost weight the issue would probably resolve itself - so here's hoping!

You can start your own thread in the personal progress section and update that as often as you like, I normally try for daily - that way I feel I am accountable to someone/something for my day..lol.

If you read through some of the other posts - you will get some good ideas regarding meals and exercise...

Take Care and good luck

Vicki
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
SugarandSpice

Postby Mayden » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:36 pm

Welcome to the forum, it is great that you are changing before falling pregnant. I have all the high blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, I ate pretty good, but added junk, so all that has gone and now I drink at least 2 litres of water a day, well I try, it is hard when out and I have to keep finding a loo. I am a lot older than you and certainly do not want to become pregnant, oh wait I could make a lot of money, lol it would not be worth it.

Good luck with the baby start, I am finally going to be a grandma around the 15.8.2012, I cannot wait, But it is very stressful, she has had 2 miscarriages and was actually at her first IVF appointment but did not know she was already on the way. I got a portable cot the other day, think it is a little early to set it up at the end of my bed LOL

Keep in touch.

Dee
Goals
30th April 77 Kilos I am so determined to get to this goal
Mid June 73 kilos
Mid August 69 kilos
November 68 Kilos
Mayden

Postby Mrsdizzichick » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:35 pm

Thank you Vicki and Dee for such a kind welcome.
I'm feeling pretty good about my descision to finally say "enough is enough". I'm trying to drink more water and cutting my portions down considerably. So far, I'm not actually feeling extra hungry, like I though I would. But, I was over eating to the point of feeling yuck at times. So, my body is probably saying a silent "Thank you" for finally giving it a break!

Dee, you will LOVE being a grandmother. My mum spoils my girls rotten. She would have NEVER let me stay up till 11pm when I was 6 yrs old!! I hope everything goes well for your daughter and her bubba.xx

All the best to both of you on your "weight loss journey"

xx
Mrsdizzichick

Postby hummingbird01 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:16 pm

hi- just dropping in ! we have the same start weight ( i am 92kg and 164 cm ) so thought we could encourage each other? I'm a 38 year old mum-of-two. my goal weight ( for now! ) is 75 kgs. hope to share some of the journey! :) :D
hummingbird01

Return to Introductions