It is currently Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:10 pm

Free Newsletter

New guy

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

New guy

Postby tryinginqld » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:42 am

Hi there guys. My name is Jamie and I'm 26 years old. I'm about 179cm tall and between 100-110kg (honestly not too sure, haven't got scales). I do very physical work (working in a warehouse, lugging furniture all day) and, while I do try to watch what I eat, nobody's perfect. Generally, I don't eat breakfast in the morning so I'm guessing that would explain why when I finally do sit down to eat, I'm ravenous. I've already taken a few steps towards a better me, but I'm still missing something I suppose.

Unfortunately, I was not blessed with two things - a fast metabolism and an overabundance of self control. Whenever somebody at work goes out to get something for lunch, be it Subway, KFC, even just going over to the local bakery, I always get something. I'm trying my best to stop doing that, not only because of my weight but because it's really bloody expensive. As unloading trucks, putting away furniture, carrying mattresses and moving consistently keeps me active, the downside is that when I get home I'm generally too tired to prepare a meal or exercise, or do much of anything honestly. Due to this, I live a fairly sedentary life. I don't exercise, and when I eat, it's not when I should, or what I should.

I am trying to change, because I know if I don't, I'll continue to be unhappy. I see the people that I'm friends with going out all day, starting new relationships, hell, even just going out and doing things together, but my weight has kept me from doing these things. I've never had a problem with confidence (or at least, giving people the impression that I'm confident), but I know I've got very low self-esteem and I think that losing a lot of the weight I carry would help change things. I understand that there's no "magic bullet" when it comes to weight loss, but I'm trying.

The steps that I've initiated so far:

1) Cut down severely with the energy drinks (at one point I was drinking two or three cans of Monster/Red Bull a day - full of sugar, caffeine and god knows what else. I normally have one in the morning now, but trying to kick that habit completely).
2) Trying to stop snacking during the day on bad foods (chocolate bars, chips, easily accessible junk food).
3) Started drinking a LOT of water instead of the aforementioned energy drinks (some days, especially in the past few weeks with the sweltering heat, I've been drinking upwards of 5-6 litres a day. Big difference considering two months ago the only water I was consuming was in the food/drink that I was putting away).
4) Cutting down on my smoking. I was smoking at least 25 16mg smokes a day about two months ago, and while obviously it's still a bad thing, I've cut down significantly from that. When I'm at work, I'll generally have less than 6 a day, with 4 or 5 at night.

I have a few questions, and I figure the first one will be the most controversial so I'll get it out of the way.

1) I'm guessing you guys have heard of (and seen the ads for) QuickSlim. For those of you that haven't, it's apparently a "snacking alternative" that works by introducing a superfibre that expands in the stomach and makes you feel full, so you don't eat as much. Or, I suppose, can't eat as much. I've heard several different things concerning it, some people raving on about it being a godsend and helping them lose so much weight, but others saying that it's just a fad, and it's actually not good for you. Any thoughts or ideas on it would be greatly appreciated. Would it be worth incorporating something like that into my daily routine to help curb my appetite?
2) Is it actually dangerous to consume as much water as I have been lately? I know the human body is something like 70% water, but sometimes I just feel like it's not a good idea to drink as much as I have been. In the past three to five hours, I've consumed about 4 litres of water.
3) I know that, as I've said before, I work in an extremely physical environment, but despite this I'm assuming it would be a good idea to start doing some exercise in the morning before I actually go to work. Are there any particular exercises that help to increase weight loss? I am, quite honestly, a noob when it comes to fitness and health. I don't own any exercise equipment or have any idea about exercise, so be gentle with me haha.

If I think of any more questions, or you guys would like to ask me a few in return, then I'd be more than happy to oblige. Also, if I'm missing anything absolutely vital (wouldn't surprise me, I am extremely new at this), then by all means let me know.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to talk about myself at length. Sometimes that helps I suppose, just being able to put down your thoughts and ideas so other people can interpret them.
tryinginqld

Re: New guy

Postby SugarandSpice » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi and Welcome!!

The things you are doing now sound great - you have made some good changes!!

As for your questions...

1- Do you feel hungry?? Do you think that something like this which supposedly makes you feel fuller would help you to limit your food intake? Or do you eat just because you can and it's there and there's nothing else to do and the million other reasons we all come up with - lol? It is only my personal opinion, but if you are feeling hungry and think this may work I say give it a try....???

My first suggestion though would be to go to a site like http://www.kriskris.com/how-many-calori ... eat-a-day/ - work out what calorie intake would be good for you and look at what you can eat in that range. then join a site like myfitnesspal and input what you eat and try and stick to the limits set??

2. Excessive water consumption can be dangerous - however if you are physically active and sweating, then replacing your fluids is also important. I just read this "The majority of adults can lose up to 2.5 to 3 litres of water a day, so it is important to replenish it, as the body can’t store water. Most people need about two litres of water a day, and possibly more on a really hot day or if you are exercising a lot. The rule here is to balance what you drink with how much you sweat. You get a lot of your body’s water needs simply from the foods you eat though. All food, even dry-looking food, has a certain amount of water, but there are foods that are water-rich, such as lettuce, cucumber or fruits." From what I have read the concern is that when you drink excessive amounts of water it lowers the sodium content in your body - which is what can make you ill...??? I don't know much more than that sorry - would suggest googling or asking a Dr if no-one else gives you an answer to this one...

3. Maybe some cardio? Going for a walk/jog or swimming or bike riding? Something different to the type of exercise you get at work.

Good Luck

Vicki
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
SugarandSpice

Postby Mayden » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:17 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum,

That does sound like a lot of water, but as you are active then I am not sure what is too much. I have trouble drinking a litre some days.

Take fruit and a salad to work, and try not to be tempted by the others going to the shop. You will eventually lose your taste for that food anyway.

Try at least a shake for breakfast, an egg or beans on toast for breakfast.

There are a lot of pre cut vegies and things in the supermarket for the busy person these days, so it may be an idea to go that way for a while. Make sure you have frozen salmon pieces in the freezer and packets of frozen vegetables, that is such a quick meal. Have a lot of fruit at hand, I find it stops my sweet cravings.

Don't be too hard on yourself, do not try and do everything overnight. Try and make better choices, like the subway, select the low fat version. If you really want to break out, have a much smaller piece that you normally would.
Good luck.
Denise
Goals
30th April 77 Kilos I am so determined to get to this goal
Mid June 73 kilos
Mid August 69 kilos
November 68 Kilos
Mayden

Postby sarahlovesjeff » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:12 pm

It sounds like you are already making some good choices with changing your lifestyle.

I know how hard it is with temptation coming from family members to people at work, and I still have the want to just take one chip or just have one or two bites, but truthfully when I haven't and I think back about my day, I feel great that I didn't kick in to temptation.

All the best,

Sarah :]
๑۩12 WEEK CHALLENGER۩๑
Currently: 109.8
Start: 109.8
①: ②: ③: ④: ⑤:
⑥: ⑦: ⑧: ⑨: ⑩:
⑪: ⑫:
Pledge for week 1: Eat more fruit and veggies
sarahlovesjeff

Postby Vulshock » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:02 pm

For you and anyone else who is interested. Get your hands on a copy of Allen Carr's The Easyway to Stop Smoking. Just reading this book and following what he says in it will completely turn you off nicotine. It will be the best investment you ever make!

Vul.
Vulshock

Return to Introductions