It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:21 am

Free Newsletter

My Story about myself!

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

My Story about myself!

Postby phillip94 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:31 pm

I have always been chubby child all my life, ever since the start of grade one. I didn’t like it at all, I always was the last kid to be picked for sporting teams because I was the chubby one left over. Which really I knew my capabilities back then, I know id beat some of those kids back then in some of their favourite sports, however I just didn’t have the confidence to stand up and prove it to them, I have always been shy through my schooling life and I still am and I just finished year twelve, im fully graduated. Since grade ten a TV show opened on up called Sea Patrol which gave me important knowledge into the Royal Australian Navy and what role they play throughout the Australian Defence Force, I absolutely loved this TV show. This is what encouraged me to start getting fit, I wanted to join the navy.

I knew I wouldn’t make it in at my fitness standards I was at, so I had to take action regarding my health and fitness. When I first weighed myself I knew I would be shocked at my true weight, I knew it was going to be bad. Now just remember this I was in grade 10 at the age of 15, so I weighed myself at the gym and weighed in at a massive 116kg’s, now let’s see that about 40-50kg’s overweight for my age group.

I stopped going to gym because I had no workout buddy, I couldn’t convince any of my friends to come with me at all, and up to today there still to lazy even just go jogging with me. I respect that they have jobs unlike me (I use to also, quit due to bad management) but just 1 hour of exercise isn’t going to take up your whole 24 hour day.

When I quit going to the gym I started exercising at home, this would include 5am wake ups before school and going jogging, sit-ups, and pushups. I never had access to gym equipment until one year later when I brought a exercise bike and a home gym, I still have those today.
Throughout those 5 months of waking up early I lost a good chunk of weight equal to 16kg’s, I could of lost allot more with the knowledge I have today, but really I didn’t know much about losing weight back then.
T
hen came the time to make my dream of joining the navy come true, I applied last year in fact, I made it through my YOU session then went onto my assessment day which included a medical examination and 2 interviews, psychologist, and a current officer. I was failed on behalf of the psychologist because I was deemed to have low self-confidence(shy). This explains why iv’e been shy throughout my schooling years. I had worked so hard and failed, I even lost another 6kg’s for it, I will apply again in 5 months.

However to date now i have gained 8kg's since i failed my defence for interviews, i am not proud of myself at all. This is why im sharing my story about myself with people on this website to hopefully gain support and maybe even knowledge from others, to support me throughout my weightloss over the next 5 months.

Throughout these five months i want to get down to the fitness standards for the navy, which is my goal of 77kg's. It will be a hard, sweaty, emotional journey but i don't want to give up, and im not going to. Starting as of 11/03/2012 i will be back onto my weightloss journey where i will blog each week, and record my results. I may even share my workouts of the week on here!

Thank you everyone, remember that date i start! Iv'e recently just started eating healthier this week.
P.S- i also have my starting pictures/weight up on my other thread.
phillip94

Re: My Story about myself!

Postby SugarandSpice » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:55 pm

Hi Phillip,

Good luck with the weight loss and your dream of joining the navy.

Can I ask if you are doing anything in particular to address the issue of low self confidence?

Vicki
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
SugarandSpice

Postby phillip94 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:22 pm

Well it was suggested at my interviews that i volunteer for the local SES which iv'e been doing for 4 months now, and also as i start to reach my goal i will be gaining more self confidence just by losing weight, and as i lose weight i also hope to hit the gym every now and then. Which will also show self confidence also.

Back to SES, it also helps because im working with boats/ropes/wires/knots etc what is also used in the navy and there's sometimes where you need to step up as a team leader or simply just speak about something for 10minutes or so.
phillip94

Postby CronicBadger » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:52 pm

Hi Phillip

It sounds as if you're on the right track. Self-confidence isn't something that will magically appear, but is more of a habit that has to be learned, or re-learned. I look forward to seeing your progress over the next few months.
CronicBadger

Postby Mayden » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:10 pm

Welcome to the forum Phillip, you sound like you have a great incentive to real your goals, please know that there are members here that will support you when you need it. The best of luck with your journey.

Denise
Goals
30th April 77 Kilos I am so determined to get to this goal
Mid June 73 kilos
Mid August 69 kilos
November 68 Kilos
Mayden

Postby Mayden » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:12 pm

"reach" your goals, hey where do you edit posts in this forum? LOL
Goals
30th April 77 Kilos I am so determined to get to this goal
Mid June 73 kilos
Mid August 69 kilos
November 68 Kilos
Mayden

Postby phillip94 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:06 am

Thanks, im going good so far this week, can't wait untill it ends though. So i can get my final results, and yeah i hate how you can't edit!
phillip94

Postby katie-marie1991 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:12 pm

Hi Phillip!

Sounds like you're heading in the right direction! Best of luck with your weight loss and goal of joining the navy. I just thought after reading your first post I'd share my personal experience in terms of weight loss on your own. In 2010 I signed up for a gym with my fiancé, who with the best intentions promised to go to the gym with me and help me reach my weight loss goals, however, with his work hours it was always going to be a difficult ask and after less than a fortnight I was going on my own. After that, my motivation went out the window and with no self confidence I found going to the gym on my own a daunting task and eventually I stopped going. However, since December last year I have so far lost 12kg as I decided to sign up to a gym on my own and be my own motivation! What I'm trying to say is I have no doubt your friends would love to help you out but sometimes people have their own pressing things they need to do or maybe they just aren't ready to undertake that journey themselves yet - So don't let that get in the way of your dreams and goals as at the end of the day your journey is about YOU! I personally found just by adding music to my workouts with high BPM, that I could push myself so much more and it made the whole process a lot less tedious!
katie-marie1991

Postby phillip94 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:27 pm

HAHA i just remembered first time i went to gym, weighed in at 116kg's. Didn't go back because the same cause i had no one to go with. Maybe when i manage to lose abit more weight ill start going to gym to burn the last amount of kg's off.
phillip94

Postby tinkerbella » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:17 pm

hello Phillip,
My son finished year 12 last year and is heading in the right direction,my gf's son also finished year 12 last year and hes going into the navy soon,just a bit of info for you,but i too was very very shy girl,i was teased that bad that i went into my shell,i also was always the last too be picked..
When i started my first job i was the red light girl at k-mart,talking over a loud speaker,i had too go and hand my notice in i just couldnt do that,lucky they found me another job in the shop..Do you have a job???
I got better and now at 42 i dont come of as shy but its still in me..
I'm sure it will get better with time,but you must work on it.....
Dont forget your dreams,work towards them and it will come true,dont wait too long keep heading in the right direction....
Good luck....

You really can do it!!
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby phillip94 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:49 pm

Yeah i currently don't have a job, i have people telling me i shouldn't have quit my previous work. For everyone that's wanting to know i worked at mc'donalds, when i applyed i also applied at other places.. i wish i picked them instead of mc'donalds. So i kept at maccas for 3 years ever since it opened and we kept on getting new managers coming and leaving. It got to the point where we had all foreigners as managers mostly Asian. Im not racist at all infact i have some funny Asian friends but these ones really couldn't manage the store and it was affecting my own personal life. The poor management from the managers was having an impact on me, i put up with enough slack asses, people being talked about(this was coming from these managers also), dis-respect from managers(one of them called one of my best friends fat), NOT FOLLOWING WORKPLACE HEALTH AND SAFE LAWS, and one last thing that really pissed me off: i wasn't getting my breaks on time etc one time i worked a 9 hours shift and only got my break 8 hours in?!!?!?!? when they told me to go on break i didn't come back, seriously oh they were also short staffing to save money!!
When we would have these important people come check out our store making sure were following procedures and policies what do the managers do?!? the complete oposite what i stated above, they put loads of staff on, do a massive clean up of the store, oh did i mention my boss was a complete ****wit, a show boy that focusses on his looks and not his store, he didn't give a censored about what we had to say.
Since i have quit it's been 3 months without a job so far, im actively applying for jobs that come up. But i live in a small town and it's hard up on work. You either go to the coal mines, or get a apprenticeship... where i live, i want neither, im a hands on person who doesn't want to live a boring life. I can't stand sitting in front of a computer for a job, or flying in flying out to the coal mines. Im no good at engineering either. This is why i want to join the navy, everyday is a new day.

If you think i was acting like a princess and i don't know what hard work is like... seriously feel free to come to the local store at mc'donalds and work there. You'll change your mind quickly, and trust me i never listed everything about this store i hated so much, if i did this post would be never ending..
phillip94

Postby phillip94 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:52 pm

And sorry about the language people, i have so much hate for that place.
phillip94

Postby cpr » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:08 am

Hey!

Just read your introduction and it really resonated with me. I applied to join the Army to go to ADFA in 2010. I had to lose about 5 kgs to get under the BMI requirement, and eventually got accepted. About 1 month from enlisting, it was discovered that I had compartment syndrome in my legs that required surgery. My Army career was put on hold until after the surgery, but unfortunately, my weight skyrocketed. I now need to lose about 25 kgs in order to fall under the BMI requirement, but I am determined to get there.
Looking forward to following your progress mate, really hope you get where you want to be :)
cpr

Return to Introductions