It is currently Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:26 am

Free Newsletter

Yet another newbie...

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Yet another newbie...

Postby mrsdavegrohl » Tue May 15, 2012 11:26 pm

Howdy all,

Never been good at doing this, and though I joined a while ago, it's taken me a while to introduce myself and even as I type this I have no idea whether I'll actually post it, but will just keep going in the hope that I do. Will get the stats out of the way first. I'm 37, weigh 110.5kg (as of last weigh in on Monday, but I've been bingeing bigtime since then, so add another couple kgs!) and am 166cm. Have been big all my life, up and down, just never down enough though. Last September I weighed in at 136.5kg. Did a 12 week bootcamp and lost 22kg. Did it the old fashioned way, exercise and a healthy eating plan. Who knew something so simple could work so well, right? LOL. Since then the wheels have come off a few times, I've indulged and over indulged and got back on the wagon and fallen off and struggled and won a few battles only to surrender to the saboteur inside me time and time again. She's such a censored and I'm so sick of her. Have to defeat her once and for all. Easier said than done, but I know I can do it. I have to. Can't keep going on like this. Want so much more out of life than this. Want my body to be my friend, not my enemy. Want my mind to work with me, not against me. And so it all starts again when I wake up tomorrow. Bootcamp at 6am. Then follow my meal plan all day. And the next day. And the ones after that...

I think that'll do for now, hope you are all winning your weightloss wars, I look forward to fighting alongside you.

Re: Yet another newbie...

Postby Retire_The_Fat » Wed May 16, 2012 10:00 pm

Hi, J

Congratulations on getting the first post out of the way :)

Good luck for the weight loss. Maybe join one of the challenges which will make you feel accountable to a certain extent for me.

Currently: 93.9K
Start of challenge: 98.6
①97K: ②96.6K: ③96.3: ④95.6:⑤96.1:
⑥94.5: ⑦94.3: ⑧ 93.9: ⑨: ⑩:⑪: ⑫:
Pledge for week 10: NO excuses!

Postby CronicBadger » Thu May 24, 2012 1:22 pm

Hello J

The weight-loss process for those who've been overweight for a long time involves changes to lifestyle and mental outlook. The processes which got the person into an unhealthy body have to be identified and completely replaced.

It's like quitting smoking. You can go "cold turkey", but that works for few people. It's more often the case that people will quit, FAIL, quit again, FAIL, quit again - and stay smoke free until a major personal upheaval which they use as an excuse to start smoking again, FAIL, then, finally, quit for good.

Once a weight-loser begins to see a healthy lifestyle as NORMAL, and practices that habit, then the old unhealthy habits will fade into the past like bad memories. But it's like learning to ride a bike - there'll be falls, but eventually it becomes second nature.

There are a couple of mental tricks I've developed for myself which you might find worthy of consideration.
1) Just "doing things" to lose weight didn't work in the long term. Try this: "Be different" and then the "do different" comes out as a natural expression of internal change - instead of treating change like a foreign thing grafted on (as as we know, a body can reject grafts).
2) Setbacks are not the end, they are just a few steps that make up the thousands of steps needed to reach a goal. One step backward plus two steps forward equals one step forward.
3) Recognise that the weight-loss process will provide more than just weight-loss. A person learns about nutrition, discipline, confidence, their inner self. They can improve their self-motivation and social life, their outward and inward appearance. I can think of lots more, but will end here.

Keep going J, don't give up.

Postby mrsdavegrohl » Sun May 27, 2012 11:50 pm

Hi again,

Firstly, thanks RTF and CronicBadger for your kind words. Since my introductory post it's been all downhill, but the one positive that I can take from this is that I can only learn from my mistakes. I'd be an even bigger fool if I don't. Just have to stop making the same bloody mistakes and take control of the moment and not let the moment control me. I know, easier said than done, but the more I do things the right way, the easier it will get to do them. Apparently. Weighing in tomorrow, I know I won't like what I see, have piled a massive amount of junk into my mouth the last couple weeks and will pay for it when I see just exactly how muh damage I've done. Looking forward to Monday week, when I will have had a full week of doing the right things and hopefully the number on the scales will represent that. CronicBadger, I so know what you mean re the mental side of things. Sometimes I just need someone, like you, to point them out to me again. I really have to take control of the mental part of this change of lifestyle. It's like I have to be re-wired after a lifetime of being brainwashed. Slow and steady wins the race right? Just have to keep moving in the right direction.

Have to cut this short, really need to get to bed, though I could quite easily spend more time here, there's so much to read, and so much I want to write, but as I said, bed awaits. More next time.

Cheers, Jane

Return to Introductions