It is currently Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:19 pm

Free Newsletter

Starting a new journey...

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Starting a new journey...

Postby Scout » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:53 am

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and new to this weight loss journey. At the moment all I can see is a long, uphill road ahead of me and it seems like an impossible climb. I currently weigh in at 96 kilos (possibly more - I'm too scared to check the scales!). I have put on over 30 kilos in the past 18 months. I am a 165cm tall woman, in her mid-twenties, who always comfortably sat at 58-65 kilos (only really fluctuated due to summer/winter eating habits). I never really did an extreme amount of exercise but walked regularly and ate fairly well but also indulged in the odd block of chocolate/bottle of wine/hot chips. A few years ago I suffered a tragic and unexpected loss in my family. This, as well as other things in my personal life, led to depression and, I am assuming, my weight gain (bad food choices, lack of exercise etc etc etc).

I am finally getting my life back on track and am getting to enjoy life again and now I want to move this weight that has piled on. I've never been this weight before and feel like it is holding me back from many things. I really don't know where to begin. I'm sure a lot of people can relate to the cycle of feeling bad about weight and food and eating because of feeling bad.

My current game plan involves cutting out most processed foods and trying to eat healthier and smaller portion sizes. I also want to do some cardio at least 3-4 times a week.

I would really appreciate any advice and help!
Scout

Re: Starting a new journey...

Postby Metalcharm » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:55 am

Hi Scout and welcome :)

My current game plan involves cutting out most processed foods and trying to eat healthier and smaller portion sizes. I also want to do some cardio at least 3-4 times a week.

Sounds like a pretty good plan! Eating as cleanly as possibly is a great habit to get into as well as the smaller portion sizes. One tip I always like is to eat from the fridge and not from the cupboard as the fresh unprocessed foods will be the ones in the fridge.

The only thing I would add is a session or two of resistance/weight training a week. Building up your muscle will give great definition, make you stronger and all with the added benefit of muscle burning more calories :D

It will take time .. in all honesty if it took you 18 months to put the 30kgs on then it will possibly take that long for it to come off AND STAY OFF. Sure you could go on a crash diet and lose it more quickly but the chances are high of gaining it back. Slow and steady is the key for long term loss.

A couple of little tips .. read read read as much as you can about nutrition and health, knowledge is power! If you're hanging around the house and obsessing about wanting to eat some kind of crap .. then go for a walk!

Good luck!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby Rhonda » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:16 am

Just wanted to say hello and welcome
Rhonda

Postby Lowie57 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi Scout! :) welcome to the forum!

I am very new to this forum also, but the support and advice i have received so far has been awesome! :D

I think one of the main things is to take it slow and steady! and allow your self some treats from time to time.. I have been working on my diet for about.. 3-4 weeks now, and the more i research and the more interest i take into finding out what im actually putting in my mouth, the easier my choices are becoming. I was also a full time smoker, so i decided instead of tackling everything at once, i would tackle it one thing at a time, and i booted the smoking habit before i seriously looked at my diet, it will be 1 month tomorrow since i last touched one.. and same goes for food.. just small steps, take it day by day, and you will eventually find yourself not even thinking about junk food, or eating that whole block of chocolate you once craved!

And i'd suggest not to step on the scales everyday, its natural to fluctuate a little during the week, and if you check it every day you might get a little disheartened sometimes (personal experience so far), so make it once a week if you like, the same time every week.

I was once in a bad place like where you are now, here is my thread if your interested in having a read - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=30041 - You feel bad for being lazy, eating bad, and it makes you want to eat more to feel a little better! and be even more lazy! snowball after snowball.. ive been there done that. It comes down to one single decision.. I just decided, enough is enough, and my time is now! start right now! not tomorrow, not after work.. etc. now! and i am sticking to it :) and im feeling better every day for doing so. Feeling better physically, and also mentally feeling better that for once.. i am not letting myself down this time!

For your exercise.. you said you used to walked regularly? jump right back into it, walking is an awesome way to start out :)

And if you are interested, make yourself a 12 week challenge in the challenge section on the forum, it might be a little bit of a motivator to know that you have goals to meet every single week, and its there to share with everyone else :)

Anyhow, enough of my rambling.. WELCOME! :D

Nath.
Lowie57

Postby Scout » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:33 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the very warm welcome!

I really appreciate all the great advice because I truly am a novice! Metalcharm, I love the concept of eating mostly from the fridge. Makes total sense. In regards to the weight training; do you know of any good exercise dvds that I can use at home? I am a little self-conscious at the moment and, even though I used to love going to the gym and doing pilates, etc, the thought of doing it now makes me cringe!

Thanks so much for all the advice, Nath, and congratulations on giving up smoking! If you can do that, then you can definitely do this :). I will check out your thread and the challenger section. I really need something that will keep me accountable. I'm very good at talking myself out of things! Thanks for the advice about the scales. I think once a week will do for me (I find them very scary!).

:)
Scout

Postby Metalcharm » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:27 pm

DVDs are great but can get a little boring after a while so don't go spending too much on them .. or perhaps find someone you can swap with?
I have "10 minutes solution" DVDs that are goood and Minna Lessic is a woman who does one that I like also. I'd love to try some Jillian Michael's ones but have yet to see them in a shop.
DO you have PayTV? There's shows on a couple of exerise shows on channels there .. Lifestyle You and TLC .

As far as weights .. you don't need a gym for that either .. lift bottles of sand or water .. lift a chair even .. lift anything! If you've ever seen Biggest Loser then you've probably seen them flip over tyres which is great too.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Return to Introductions