It is currently Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:03 am

Free Newsletter

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby ThinLizzy » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:48 am

Hi everyone! :D

I have been admiring this site and it's member from afar for a while, and you just seem like such a supportive community, and that is what I really need right now! I have been battling depression for several years and, due to that and other reasons, have gained 20 kilos. It's a bit of a vicious cycle that I am so desperate to stop as it is seriously affecting my health now. So I am 36 years old, and am now 75 kilos, which I know doesn't sound much to some of you, but I have a petite frame and am quite short, and it is a lot for my frame to carry. As with many of you who are probably familiar with the aches and pains, shortness of breath, and finding it difficult to bend over to tie laces... that sort of thing.

I am generally a very healthy eater, focusing on wholefoods and a plant-based diet (ironically am studying to be a nutritionist!) but in a bad depression patch I can't leave the house, and eat myself sick with junk food. And this can last a couple of weeks at a time.

I am sure a lot of people here share the same kind of story, and while I am learning to manage depression naturally, I am so happy to have found a lovely community for moral and emotional support in terms of health, exercise and weight-loss!

So hello, again, and I look forward to making myself accountable! Lol!
ThinLizzy

Re: Newbie

Postby tinkerbella » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:25 pm

hello,
have you ever tried blackmores st johns wart....read about it and give it ago,they are great,you only need too take them for a short timr too get over the little bump...
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby Scout » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:37 pm

Hi ThinLizzy! Welcome to the site. I am new here as well and just starting out on this weightloss journey. I know how depression can make it hard to take care of yourself and I have often done the same things that you've described. Good luck with your goals! Look forward to hearing about your progress :)
Scout

Postby SydneyPT » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:50 pm

May i ask what you mean by 'whole foods'??
Check out my Facebook page- Insanely Fit Personal Training
SydneyPT

Postby ThinLizzy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:07 am

tinkerbella wrote:hello,
have you ever tried blackmores st johns wart....read about it and give it ago,they are great,you only need too take them for a short timr too get over the little bump...

Hi tinkerbella
Thank you, yes, I have tried that and Kava, but they actually made me very docile, so not quite for me. I know it works for some though :)
ThinLizzy

Postby ThinLizzy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:15 am

SydneyPT wrote:May i ask what you mean by 'whole foods'??

Hi Sydney,

In nutrition "wholefoods" is the term we use for food that has undergone minimal processing, you know - fresh fruit n veg, wholegrain, seeded bread, sprouts, and hormone-free meat etc. Just as close to nature as possible minus all the additives :)
ThinLizzy

Postby SydneyPT » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:31 am

So are you saying carbs from lets say plain sugar is different than carbs from vegetables, not taking into account the micronutrient content.
SydneyPT

Postby ThinLizzy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:42 pm

Apologies for the late reply, Sydney PT!

Actually, I didn't say mention carbs at all, but carbs are carbs - it doesn't matter if they come from sugar or vegetables or whatever. But I am not on a low carb diet, anyway... and I think it is probably unwise to disregard the micronutrient content of anything anyway as our bodies don't work like that. In any case, I make sure I eat plenty of protein because in essence it fills me up longer, and I feel much better when I eat it. Not a lot of meat, mind you, but a lot of brown rice, beans, quinoa, chia... it makes me bouncy all day! :D

I have been enjoying your posts, too - by the way... very informative so thank you!
ThinLizzy

Postby SydneyPT » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:45 pm

ThinLizzy wrote:Actually, I didn't say mention carbs at all, but carbs are carbs - it doesn't matter if they come from sugar or vegetables or whatever. But I am not on a low carb diet, anyway... and I think it is probably unwise to disregard the micronutrient content of anything anyway as our bodies don't work like that.

I have finally found someone who speaks the truth!! :D

Thank you :)
SydneyPT

Postby nari1208 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:13 am

hello. Dont be depressed. just make some actions. You made the right decision in opening up with us. we will cheer you up! I am sure that you would make to getting and aiming what you want for yourself. Just be motivated and believe that you can do it!
nari1208

Return to Introductions