It is currently Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:21 pm

Free Newsletter

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Ava » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:58 pm

I am new to this site and looking forward to hearing about every ones experiences and listening to others advice for my own weight loss journey.

Currently my weight is at 106kg :oops: I have lost 3kg since reaching my heaviest weight a month ago. My goal is be healthier and fitter but also to lose the weight so my husband and I can start trying for a family.

I started using a calorie counter to record my daily food and calorie intake. I have found I am staying under the calorie limit during the week but come the weekend I am terrible - any tips there would be greatly appreciated!

Looking forward to sharing my experience and journey with you!

Start weight: 106kg
First goal:99kg
Goal weight: 70kg

Re: Newbie!

Postby Colleen » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:14 pm

Well done for loosing 3kg. :D

Sounds like you are doing very well during the week. I found on the weekend the most important thing was to be really busy so I am distracted by the activity rather than food.

I give myself one treat on the weekend a weight watchers diet desert.
That stops me from eating junk food. I up my exercise on the weekend as there is more time available. I also chew sugar free gum when I get the urge to snack. I prepare my food early ahead of time so that I eat well.

I am attempting to increae my sporting activities on the weekend which is easy as I used to do none at all. I now go bowling instead of the movies and take a healthy snack with me.
My husband and I walk to and from the bowling alley about an hours walk.

I use a sticker chart to track my daily exercise and the number of times I exercise. Someone on this site suggested it and its a great visual idea. I can see at a glance how many times I exercise within a day or a week. Very motivational.

The other thing I do on the weekends is try and mix up my routine for interest sake. Say one walk, aerobic exercises , then a muscle toning workout. I'm not very good at the exercises but I am continually improving.
Hope this helps.

Postby Ava » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi Colleen :)

Thanks for the advice! Appreciated :D

My biggest issue on the weekend is catching up with friends. We end up eat out and having a few drinks which blows my calories for the day. Having a couple of glasses of wine with dinner is a few 100 calories alone, then add your meal for eating out when you don't have control on how they cook it...

To those loosing weight - Do/have you cut out all alcohol from your diet or drink less or swap for drinks with less calories?

Postby admin » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:01 am

Hi Ava and welcome.

Everyone will have a different theory with drinks so you need to make up your own mind when taking advice in this area. Some will say cut out altogether, but I find there is no fun in that.
In theory go for the lower alcohol content rather than the higher. If you are drinking mixed drinks the spirit will have around 40% alcohol plus you are adding the mixer which is full of sugar so in my opinion this is bad.
Wine has around 12% is ok if you can stick to the 1 or 2 drinks but not everyday.
A nice beer is I think the better option with only around 4%, you don't tend to drink it as fast as the other 2, it will fill you up and really should only need to drink 1 or 2.....problem being you actually have to enjoy the taste of beer. Pale Ales have a nice taste.
Whatever you drink always have a glass of water after you finish your drink.
Thats my two bob.

Site Admin

Return to Introductions