It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:32 am

Free Newsletter

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Scarlett » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:51 pm

Hey there,

just joined up today and decided to introduce myself. My name is Scarlett, I'm pushing forty and weigh 86 kilos. I would like to lose 11 kilos (ideally 16 but I don't want to freak myself out) so that I can be in a healthy weight range. I have a pretty awful family history of heart disease and my bad cholesterol is a bit high so I've just started on medication.

I joined this community so I could reach out for help/inspiration/support when I needed it instead of feeling like I was going it alone. Being a free site is also a bonus. :wink:

I look forward to chatting with y'all!

Cheers,
Scarlett.
Scarlett

Re: Newbie

Postby Blitz » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:33 pm

Welcome.

Health reasons are the best possible reasons to lose weight. Dare for the 16kg. Aim big (by getting small). Besides it's an easy number to divide in to bite size goals along the way!

Regards
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: Maintaining for life
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby BigAndy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:40 pm

Hi Scarlett, and good on you!

Yeah I'm really glad I decided to start to look after myself again and I'm not only slimming down (was over 102 kg's now 94.6- not that I'm counting) but I'm actually becoming the fittest I've ever been in my whole life. I have been fairly physically active over the years and had a bit of success running as in coming first in my footy club dash around the tan several years ago now. I think what happened is I was so busy with work commitments my lifestyle became really bad, no time for exercise, or eating properly, let alone enjoying life, so I left my profession and took up a new less demanding career, less money but so much more value from life.
I've found through enthusiastic daily exercise, cutting out added sugar, especially simple sugars, and added salt, and recording everything and adding up and tracking calories daily I'm really flying along the path to a healthier me, but as you say- it helps not going at it alone, and I have had some great encouragement from this site!
My greatest joy has been realising that there's no such thing as over the hill or too old. I'm similiar in age to you and have learnt that many people in my situation have gone on to become super fit an even gone onto do things like beat super fit teenagers in running races, etc!
So again- good on you! I know you can do it.
BigAndy

Postby Scarlett » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:37 pm

Thanks Andy and Kim,

Kim, wow what an inspiration losing 87kg. And good advice about aiming big but dividing my goal into smaller chunks. I have to stop thinking that I can achieve my goal weight really quickly like Biggest Loser contestants!!! I have to look at this as a long term challenge with ongoing maintenance once my goal is achieved. It is about changing my attitude, lifestyle and habits for life.

And Andy, kudos on making such big changes in your life in order to focus on your health and self. A lot of people are unable to be so smart and courageous! I've been seeing a personal trainer once a week for a while, but now I'm also trying to hit the gym twice a week on top of that. Also with the weather improving it is a lot easier to get out and about. So with changes to my diet, hopefully I'll be hitting the beach sooner rather than later.

Cheers,
Scarlett.
Scarlett

Return to Introductions