It is currently Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:38 am

Free Newsletter

New :)

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

New :)

Postby i.will.get.there. » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:45 pm

Hi, I'm new here. I have been a member a few years ago but was never really active.

I have come to the point that I feel I really NEED to loose weight. The numbers on the scale seem to be creeping up instead of down, and today I am weighing 94 kg. A true shock now that it seems to sink in and I guess I have been in denial for way too long. Years ago I practiced yoga 3 mornings a week for 2 hours per time and this is the time where the fat seemed to start melting off my body. Since I stopped (because of circumstances) and changes in my personal life I have gained 14kg. Ouch. 14kg in one year is a lot.

Yesterday I bought myself some larger (and went to the plus section to find them) gym tops which in itself was difficult. But I did it so at least I can feel comfortable when working out at the gym, then did a 30 minute treadmill walk, 5 minute heavy-level cycling and 5 minute rowing. Just to get started.

For me it is the food that is the problem. Emotional eating occurs, when I'm tired I eat, when I'm bored I eat, when I'm happy I eat, when I'm angry I eat etc. Another pitfall is that as soon as I have lost some weight, I feel I ok and start heavy bingeing again! What's with that? And how to overcome this weird habit?

Thank you for reading and I hope to be able to finally kickstart this slow metabolism body into first gear!! :P

Re: New :)

Postby admin » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:56 pm

Welcome back and the first step is always the hardest.
Good to hear you have started with some new gear for you new exercise program. One of our tips is to (if you can afford it) buy some new sneakers and an outfit.
Emotional eating is a hard one to tackle, may be someone has some advise. I live with an emotional eater so I can't give advise on this.

Here is a few tips to look at:
Tackle your weight and issues in small chunks.
Start with reviewing what you eat. Write down your foods daily into a diary.
Less processed foods, more natural foods.
Start cooking more and cooking with great ingredients. You can make some great dishes without all the fat and KJs.
Sign up for a fun run or walk, even if it is not until the new gives you something to train for.
Look at your portion sizes and reduce them over time.
Set a goal for your weight until the end of year...may be 500g per week.

Good luck and look forward to reading about your journey.

Site Admin

Postby Metalcharm » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:07 pm

My tip for emotional eating is to not have any crap around .. if it's not there you can't eat and to always have something healthy on standby.
My snack of choice at the moment is carrot and hommus.

And just to go one step further with the gym clothes .. this may sound silly .. but WEAR THEM! I don't mean just when you're off to the gym but get home from work and put them on. I always feel a bit more 'bouncy' when I have workout clothes on and will do things like some squats while cooking or things like that. It might not be much at one time but it all adds up!

Postby i.will.get.there. » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:13 pm

Thank you for such quick responses! I like the 'attack in small chunks' approach.. My biggest problem is not the unhealthy foods and take aways etc. I cook very wholesome and healthy however it's the snacks (read icecream, chocolate, cream) that does the damage.

When I lived with only my kids not having too much yummie stuff around the house was fairly doable, however my beautiful new partner has moved in and he loooooooves the exact things that are pretty harmful for me ;) So maybe I need to do something like mentally write his name on those goodies perhaps?!

I just got back from the gym (again.. even did a minute run-walk-run schedule!) and feeling good.

Thank you again for your tips!! :D

Postby Scarlett » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:00 am

Wow, sounds a lot like me! I have ramped up the exercise, but now I have to focus on my diet. I'm also an emotional eater and if I'm hungry look out...straight for the biscuits and heaven help anyone who gets in my way. I also want to lose 16kg (with 4kg milestones in there to break it up) so I look forward to journeying along there with you!!!

Postby BigAndy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:57 pm

Sounds like you're doing a great job. Keep up the great work!

I'm down to 93 kilo's now but I can't figure out how to adjust my ticker, lol! Will have to make a new one.

I've found as my daily exercise (mostly running) has increased over the past six weeks, and I have been counting my calorie intake daily in my diary with the help of this site, my appetite has stabilised. I say stabilised because I now firmly believe that no exercise and processed food, the lifestyle I was leading, actually spawned an unnatural appetite.

I feel great for my running and am getting fitter and fitter, aiming for the fittest I've ever been. My aim was 1 fun run a month. Have done one, but am now in a 3 month aerobic building phase which relies on all aerobic running without going too hard, and after that period I shall begin the hill training for a month, then get into some speed training, and then race, and I think I should get a very respectable result!

Postby i.will.get.there. » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:30 pm

Wow BigAndy, you sure sound like you're on a roll! How awesome!

Yes Scarlett it seems we're on a similar track :) Let's go the 16kg together!!

Return to Introductions