It is currently Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:59 am

Free Newsletter

Hi Im Scott

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hi Im Scott

Postby ScottHowell » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm Scott and I am new to these forums, I am 24 years of age and have let myself fall in a bad pattern with my lifestyle and diet.
I currently weigh approx 150-160 Kg and would like to start the path to healthier living, I keep getting this impending feeling that I need to sort this before it causes me any health issues. I do work a fairly active job, however don't do anything that could be considered a diet or exercise plan.
I have read a lot of articles and testimonials in regards to healthy living and healthy eating, and find myself confused and overwhelmed. I really don't know where to start. I guess its easy to just say ill start eating healthier and exercise and maybe its as easy as that. But I see so many conflicting stories and websites telling me what to and what not to do, I just need some advice from people who have actually gone through weigh loss struggles themselves and what they found to be the best methods.

So I have come to join this forum hoping to learn what I can, and hopefully start my path to a healthier me.

Scott :)
ScottHowell

Re: Hi Im Scott

Postby Metalcharm » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:05 pm

Hiya Scott and welcome. :D
Well done on seeing a problem and wanting to do something about it. It is not easy but it IS worthwhile.

I know that a lot of stuff out there can be confusing but really, you just have to take it to the absolute basics and as you gain more knowledge about being healthy you can streamline it a bit. But just for now I would recommend that you eat as fresh as possible. If it comes out of the cupboard it is probably processed and not your best option.

For exercise .. I would say don't go out hard just yet. take it easy and just as long as you're moving you are going in the right direction. Even an easy walk is better than nothing and you can build up as you move along.

My five top tips

*eat fruits and vege as much as possible and limit what comes out of a packet
* drink water. And then drink some more.
*MOVE
*log your foods .. get an app like My Fitness Pal and find out what your calorie intake should be and input or write down everything that passes your lips.
* stick with it .. if you have a bad meal it's okay, make the next meal a good one.

I say it to most younger people that come here .. .DO IT NOW while you're young and fabulous.
While I am at a near enough normal weight now I do have arthritis which was caused by being overweight for far too many years.

Hope you come back often for inspiration and let us know how you're getting along.
All the best to you :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9ttOuh/]
Metalcharm

Postby CronicBadger » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:05 am

Hi Scott

Welcome to the forum. Metalcharm has covered all the important stuff you need to know (the concept of weight-loss is actually quite simple when you get down to the nuts and bolts), so I'll just add that it sometimes takes a few weeks to see noticeable weight changes, and sometimes, due to various physical reasons weight may fluctuate when least expected. As long as you stick to it though, everything will work out fine. Don't give up, the end result is worth it.
CronicBadger

Postby Blitz » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:07 am

Scott

As a guy who was around the middle of your weight range (I was 153.7kg when I started) and knowing nothing I can relate to where you are. My body was starting to give me signs that I better do something about my weight or I wasn't going to be around much longer. Now I'm in the best shape I've ever been in my entire life. I only wish I had been wise enough to take these steps at your age instead of waiting until I was over 50.

I think the big mistake we all do is trying to do everything at once. Start with small changes in your life and build from your success. Weight loss is about changing your lifestyle from a unhealthy one to a healthy one. You weren't born 150-160kgs. It was your choices that got you there over the years. So don't be surprised that it will take a while for you to learn how to make healthy changes to your life.

Start simply. Eat a good breakfast, go for a daily walk, reduce your portion size for lunch and dinner, drink more water (not colas) and reduce snacks (think apple, not chocolate bar). Make these your lifestyle and the kilos will start to come off.

Regards
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg (in 60 weeks)
Now: Keeping it off for life!
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby feebeejay » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:58 pm

Hi Scott, well done on making the decision to be healthier. I've been struggling with weight all my life and now in my mid 40s, feel that if I don't do something permanent I'll burst! I've looked into lap band surgery and just know its not for me, and from people I've known it only really works if you have the right mind set anyway. The big thing I've realized after all these years is portion size! My boss went on a commercial weight loss program that has pre packaged foods, and one of the things I took notice of when she had her lunch was the portion sizes. So I've been counting calories and really watching my portions for about three weeks or so, and have lost about 3.5kg. One of the things I've done is pre package my own food, all weighed, calorie counted and packed in zip lock bags. It sounds extreme I guess, but I can prepare my own food the way I like it, count the calories myself by using my handy little calorie counter book, and know how it will all fit together by the end of the day. I've even packaged some naughty foods for the odd snack once or twice in the week, but only to 100 calories. That way, if I feel the need to have that choc/lolly fix or need a snack, I can grab a pre packaged bag, have the satisfaction of the taste, but in controlled portions. From my experience in the past, to totally eliminate those things that have been firm friends for many years is too much of a temptation and will ultimately lead to downfall. This is a compromise that I am using as a tool more the anything else, to get me to the next level, where maybe I won't feel the need to snack on naughty things ... It's a life long journey for me, and if I am ever going to succeed I need to make it realistic for myself and give myself the best shot I can to make it work forever! What I've found is that even when I started my journey this time around, was a plan to have one of those naughty snacks once a day ... But what I've found, partly as a result of my immediate losses, and partly because I'm feeling satisfied, is that I've only had naughty things every few days, instead of every day ... Although I dropped the ball today, but I can pick it up again tomorrow .. That's another thing I've realised, that even though I might over eat today, I can do the opposite the next day, or throw in some more exercise ... The end of each day isn't a line drawn in the sand, it can carry over, and be compensated ... Or even if that's not possible, then to get back on track the next day is the best way forward. Wishing you luck on your journey... :)
trying to stop the yo-yo!!!
feebeejay

Return to Introductions