It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:31 am

Free Newsletter

Time for a change

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Time for a change

Postby Itoy & Suerti » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:31 pm

Hi everyone... Im Karrine from Queensland, Australia. My age is 22 and I have a lovely supportive partner Ive been with him for over 6 years. We also have 2 beautiful dogs named Itoy and Suerti.
I admit that I have been on and off diets more often then not - and to be honest, I always knew when starting them that it wont last - Im a compulsive eater, and I overeat - instead of one sandwich - i make two. But I am obese, and I need to make a change.

Last weigh (about a year ago) I weighed 130kgs. It was embarrasing, and heartbreaking. I am ashamed buying size 24 - 26 clothing, and i have almost zero confidence.

I have begun as of last week walking for one hour every morning with my 2 dogs, and so far i am enjoying it - at the moment eating habits havent really changed... but i am doing grocery shopping tomorrow so will be buying healthy options - and hopefully alot of salad. I do not own scales, and am tracking my weightloss through clothes sizes. i feel like this is my last chance. SO I look forward to any help/tips you can all give me - and I would love this forum to be my motivation.
Itoy & Suerti

Re: Time for a change

Postby Tea85 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:48 pm

Welcome and Good luck on your new journey!!

I too have zero confidence and feel embarrassed about my weight. I've so far lost 3.5 kgs and already feel my confindence growing. I walk once or twice a day and make healthier food choices, and so far it's pretty great!!

I look forward to reading about your weight loss!!!

Tegan xx :)
Tea85

Postby CronicBadger » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:28 pm

Hi Karrine

The forum is great for regularly reporting your progress (it helps to keep one honest!), self motivation and keeping a feeling that it's not a task that is done in isolation - we're all, or have been, doing what you are now doing - losing weight and becoming healthy.

Check out the tools and articles in the main website. there are some great sections that give advice on how to stay motivated and what foods to choose in order to feel full.

Weight-loss is simple - take in less food energy than your body needs, and over time your fat stores will be used to make up the deficit. The hardest part is the first month, but it gets easier. Never think of it as dieting either, since you really do need to learn correct eating habits that will stay with you for a lifetime.

Weight-loss is not something you do only when you're happy, or on weekdays, or when you feel motivated. It has to be always happening. Your eating decisions have to be consistent with a constant drive towards that final goal. You have to think and act like a thin healthy person.

I've also found that a food diary is useful. I use a standard diary and at the end of each day list everything I eat, and write next to each item a rough Kilojoule count. By keeping between 5000 and 7000 Kj per day on average a steady weight loss of between 2-4 kilos per month can be experienced, depending on factors such as exercise and body mass (which is why the tools exist on the forum's main website).

You'll enjoy watching your clothes become baggy and having to change down a size every few months. It's fun and definitely worth the effort.
CronicBadger

Postby Blitz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:14 pm

Welcome Karrine

Getting honest with yourself is the first step to a lifestyle change and permanent weight loss. I hope that you will enjoy your journey of discovery.

I think that you should get some scales. I know its sounds scary but how else are you going to be able to brag exactly how much you've lost? :D

Regards
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: Keeping it off for life!
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby Ty-Gwyn » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:54 pm

Hi Karrine!!

Welcome to the forum!! Great to hear that you (and the rest of us!) have made a conscious decision to lead a healthier life! Very liberating to know that you are in control!! :)

I agree with Kim. Try to bite the bullet and weigh yourself. I avoided the scales for far longer than you (around 4 years!!) and one morning in September this year I decided I had had enough of hiding from myself! All that number meant to me was a starting point ... It gave me something to measure my progress against ... The number itself really was irrelevant because I knew it wouldn't be there for much longer!! Imagine how fantastic you'll feel when you see that number start dropping ... There really is no greater motivation honestly!

Ashamed? Embarrassed? ... Of taking charge of your body and lifestyle??!! Not a chance ... Smile ... Be proud ... Stand tall ... Ths is the first day of the rest of your life :) well done you!!! Well done all of us!! Xxxx
SW - 99.6 (4th Sept 2012)
CW - 79 (15th March 2013)
GW - 70 ( or a comfortable size 12!!)
Ty-Gwyn

Postby Ty-Gwyn » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:28 pm

Hi Karrine ... just checking in to see how things are going for you? All good I hope? :)
SW - 99.6 (4th Sept 2012)
CW - 79 (15th March 2013)
GW - 70 ( or a comfortable size 12!!)
Ty-Gwyn

Postby Itoy & Suerti » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:11 pm

Wow - thankyou so much everbody... such kind words... I posted an update about an hour ago in the discussions forum called So far - So good...

And it's true, had some rocky moments... but i am still motivated and know what needs to be done. :D
Itoy & Suerti

Return to Introductions