It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:55 am

Free Newsletter

First timer.

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

First timer.

Postby Jessicalee » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:20 pm

Hey guys,
I am new to this site/forum.

I'll start by jotting down a few things about myself.

My name is Jessica, I am 20 years of age. I currently weigh 107kgs.
I went to the doctors about 2 weeks ago because I am really concerned about my weight. This is the most I have ever weighed in my entire life. I am not happy with the way I look or feel. The doctor told me to consider Duromine, Xenical or surgery!
I do not want to take Xenical because I don't eat that much fatty foods, I eat more carbs than anything.
I don't want to get lap band surgery, because I cannot see myself paying thousands of dollars for something I believe I can do myself.
Duromine on the other hand I would actually consider taking, 3 of my family members have taken it and it has worked wonders on them! I think that that may give me the boost I need. But in saying that, I want to try and do it alone! Hopefully I can do it :?

When I was younger I was a chubby kid, but was never obese. When I was about 17 I said to myself that was it. I didn't want to be like that anymore. I got myself down to 67kgs and I was happy with the weigh I was. At about 18 I started my first Full time job at a call centre. Which is where I met current partner. Obviously I did alot of nothing. I sat at my desk all day. I'd get home at about 9pm as I finished at 7.30pm, and I'd have a shower, eat dinner and go to bed. The mornings I woke up at 9am and got ready for work. This happened for about a year. During that year I moved in with my partner. And changed my hours to 8am - 4.30pm. That way, we'd get home from work and take the dog for a walk have dinner, shower and bed.
I noticed that I was putting on weigh really fast. Working a full time job, I wasn't going out as much as I used to. I used to go clubbing Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I used to do alot of walking and exercising. I went to the gym 4-5 days a week for atleast an hour and do 3-4 gym classes a week..
Now, I'm lucky to walk the dog for half an hour every day.
I have become so lazy. I get extremely tired all the time and have really bad eating habits.

I have decided, now is the time to get fit and lose some weight.
I can't stand looking at myself in the mirror or seeing my reflection in shop windows.
I have resigned with that job, and now starting a new job (pretty much doing the same thing.. only in a higher position)

I thought this is the time to make a change!

My current weight: 107kgs
Goal for this week: 105kgs.
Long term goal: 70kgs

Re: First timer.

Postby admin » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:38 pm

First of all welcome. You have taken the first step, which is always the hardest as admitting an issue with ourselves takes a long time, but you have done it so at least pat yourself on the back for that.
Tiredness is always a big giveaway that we are unheathly. Once you get yourself back on track that is the first thing you will notice, you will have loads more energy.

Firstly, keep a food do need to understand what you are eating so you can reflect and make changes.
Second, set yourself realistic goals - mini goals and weekly goals. Weekly can be say 500g or 1kg, whatever you think you can achieve. Then a target weight for 2 months then give yourself a treat, like a pampering treat.....a massage, pedicure, lunch out with the girls etc.
Third - you must make a change every day., food, snacks, exercise, one small change each day.
Fourth - cut out all soft drinks, this is a must.

That is my first suggestions so good luck and look forward to your progress.

Site Admin

Postby Metalcharm » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:43 pm

^^^^ What she said :D

Good for you in choosing a healthy approach to losing weight. I find it sad that a doctor would first talk surgery or drugs before a healthy lifestyle but good for you in seeing that there is another way!
You can do it .. of course you can .. you've done it before and at any time you need support or some kind of help just come on here and ask.

Postby BigAndy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:22 pm

Good on you JessicaLee!

Yeah I find it shocking that some doctors will go pills and surgery before common sense :lol:

This site has everything I've needed to start rebuilding or should I say "de"building myself. just through daily running, diarising food and exercise daily and, getting rid of softdrinks, and chocolates, counting the calories, etc. as per the links and calorie calculators on this site, I've lost over 10 kilos now in a few months. I know you can do the same if you choose to :P

Postby Blitz » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:22 pm

Welcome Jessica

We hope that you will enjoy and learn many things as you make this exciting journey.

You most certainly do not need drugs or surgery. Drugs are only a stop gap that will do your system more long term harm than good. Lap banding may seem like a good idea but you will go through an awful lot of pain and still at the end have to learn the lessons of eating properly (and cope with all the lap banding's long term problems).

Make your life changes slow and sure. Make changes in your lifestyle that will work. As you learn more, you will make more changes that will benefit you. One of the first things to consider is portion size. If you are overweight your intake is probably far too high. The other important thing to start is some sort of exercise. Most of us started with walking, doing what we can manage and building from that.

You are not lazy. You are tired. Anybody would be tired lugging around the extra weight you are now carrying. As you lose that weight, you will have more energy and you will be more active.

Your future awaits you...go for it! :D

Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: Keeping it off for life!
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!

Return to Introductions