It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:30 am

Free Newsletter

1st timer

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

1st timer

Postby time4change89 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:05 am

Hey all my name is kim,
i'm 23 , live with my loving partner, and i think its time i start making some more healthier choices for myself.
I have no idea what the scales read i am too scared to get on them the last time i did was on the 100kg mark and i promised myself at 80kg's that i wouldnt let myself get over that but i have i have no idea how
( well i do )
I have a large lack the want to exercise, i want to be healthier and thinner i just dont want to do the work lol
I see people on tv shows and out at shopping centres and they are alot bigger then me and i am scared that i could get that way, so i am going to make a really big effort to loose the weight that i dont need and i am hoping this forum will be the support i need
kim
time4change89

Re: 1st timer

Postby admin » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:59 am

Welcome Kim.

First step is to be honest about what you are eating. Keep a food diary for a week or two and just write down everything you eat. You will be amazed when you review it what you are eating. Here is a free food diary on our site as a start. Food Diary

Second step is to make some changes everyday with your food. You know what you shouldn't be eating but you can't do it all at once - CUT OUT ALL SOFT DRINKS. This is a big one, even diet soft drinks. Learn to drink water and tea. Learn to start cooking for yourself. Healthier meals for you and your partner will lead you to a more healthier lifestyle also this will cut out a lot of processed foods.

Third step is to move. Yes I know we all hate to hear it but it comes down to input (what goes in your mouth) vs output (exercise). Start with a walk each day or after work, or even lunchtime and build up from there.

Everyone here will have additional advise and support for you so good luck on your venture and keep us up to date on how you are going, good or bad.

Sharrelle
admin
Site Admin

Postby Blitz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:48 pm

Kim

How bad do you really want it? You've got to want it so much that you are willing to do almost anything to achieve success.

Exercise is a sure way of getting rid of that extra fat. It burns the extra calories that you intake. Builds muscle that will increase your metabolism therbey increasing the speed of your weight loss.

You don't have to start at the deep end of exercise. No expects you to run a marathon yet (believe it or not but there may come a day where this could be an option!). When I started all I could manage was a ten minute walk which covered a very small distance. Now a days I jog and walk many kilometres, swim, and exercise bike like a mad fool. All this was built up slowly over time. Try it, it actually does become enjoyable.

Regards
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby time4change89 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:14 pm

Kim ...
i dont think its a matter of wanting it but needing to be healthy .
life seems to be a battle ground with my mother telling me her doesnt want to out me in the ground and i am heading for a early gave etc... i now she is worried but most of the time she goes about things the wrong way and from that i have alot of body issues not feeling good enough or just ugly ... disagreeing with my partner when he says i am beautiful
i do want it i want to feel better about myself to go and be able to buy nice clothes but i think the need out ways the want
time4change89

Postby feebeejay » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:59 pm

It's a challenge, but one that many of us have taken on, and they are all individual and personal journeys, and we all have our own reasons for losing weight, but one of the things that I've finally realised after many years of trying to lose weight, is that it is my decision, and only mine, it won't work if we look for an easy fix and are not totally committed ... It is a life long journey and all about healthy choices, and knowing that it doesn't happen overnight. I've tried many things over the years and found that the thing that works best for me is counting calories, and regular exercise ... And keeping focused, which this forum is helping me to do ... This time around I've lost approx 7kg in about 7weeks, and really want it to be a life decision, but I'm challenged everyday by how it used to be, but am already noticing some huge benefits of this new way of life (eg, better asthma management), which gives me more motivation to continue ... Realistically I need to lose about 40-60kg, so it's going to take a while, but I'm committing to stick with it just 12 weeks at a time, and looking at 10kg each mini goal ... So yep, a long way to, but having an ultimate plan helps me to keep on track ... Good luck with your journey, one step at a time, and you've already made some good choices by joining up with this forum, great advice and support when all seems too hard ... Keep with it, wishing you well, fee :)
trying to stop the yo-yo!!!
feebeejay

Postby Blitz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:18 pm

A want becoming a need...that's even better. :D

You can't lose weight to fullfill other people's expectations. You have to own it as your own. I know about mothers. They want the best for you but sometimes they are as subtle and as helpful as a jackhammer on a walnut. My mother's "encouragement" always sent me in the opposite direction. When I finally decided it was time to lose the weight, I didn't let my mother know at all. I started in January 2011 and didn't tip her until early April 2011. She may have noticed by herself anyway as I had lost 30kgs by then! Interestingly she never asked me directly about my weight loss after that (she would pump my sister for that).

Every reason you find that supports your decision to lose weight is good. They will weave a rope that will keep you strongly tied to your cause. Health is a major reason. One that is important for the rest of your life. Stuff like looking good in clothes etc...that will all fade but if you don't have your health - then you are in trouble. Health was a biggie for me. My body had put up with years of abuse, finally it started to crack up on so many different fronts. It was time. Just simply time to do something about my weight...or I would not have lasted much longer.

There is always hope. I was one of these guys you saw at the shopping centres. My gut use to rub against the steering wheel of my car. With my car seat as far back as I could get it, I had to suck in my stomach to get my fully extended seat belt on. Not comfortable at all. Now; the seat is in a normal position and my stomach is more than 30cm from the steering wheel. Anyone who is committed to lose weight can lose weight no matter what their circumstances are. If I can lose weight; a man who was full of ignorance on the subject, cronic asthmatic, with a bad back, over the hill, lazy and a lover of the "good life" can do it - then anyone can. Again, there is always hope. :D

The shopping centre and tv guys? I don't fear that I could become like them now. My heart breaks for them because I know that with a few basic changes in their lives they could have such a better future. I am filled with compassion and I passionately want to help them.

This forum can be of great benefit to you. There are many people here who have walked in your shoes and are still walk in your shoes. They understand and want to help, encourage without judgement (because we know) and share their journey and experiences. We have no agenda, except to help you have a better future. :!:

Wishing you the very best
Kim
ps Maybe I do have another agenda...anyone named Kim is definitely worth helping! :lol:
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby BecMac259 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:51 am

some great advise for you here Kim.
I detest those weight loss shows - 90% of them put the weight back on when they get into the real world. I'm actually surprised that Michelle Bridges participates in Biggest Loser, because it's really not portraying the correct message to real people.
You have to REALLY want to do this, not for others, but for yourself.
I always worry about food, am I doing the right thing, how can I have the time to make helathy evening meals, will I get bored with it? the questions go on & on.
In fact, after tracking in the My Fitness Pal app for 1 week, I discovered that I actually was really only eating too many carbs (I'm not a junk food eater) & my portions were too large.
I go for a 30min walk each day pushing a pram with a baby & 3 year old in it & I really enjoy it - you have to find an exercise that you enjoy.
Evening meals are pretty easy, just lower your meat intake & increase the green, leafy veg.
The other evening, I made Tacos for dinner, but instead of having the taco shell (of which I would normally eat 3-4), I made a big plate of salad, then topped it with a small portion of meat & a little gratted cheese (I looovvvee cheese :lol: )
Best of luck :D
Bec
Gone forever: 2.2kg
1st goal: reach 100kg & be a size 18
BecMac259

Postby time4change89 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:10 pm

hey all

yes want is a huge thing with any thing, as i have said before i just lack modivation forgive my horrid spelling....
today i started fatblaster shakes i have used shakes before and lost 20 kgs and i also have not informed any one but David ( my partner) and my counsellor, i thought about talking to my nan but she has seems to tell mum 8 times out of 10 ...... i am going to go do something i havent done for ages
i am now 110kg and my goal is to get into a size 14 wedding dress when david and i get married when ever that may be .... so i have atleast a yr to do this in ....

and kim is a great name heheh
i am a kimberly but not one but my mother cames me by that :)
thats for support every one x
time4change89

Postby time4change89 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:20 pm

feeling really good about today
although i woke up at 10 i have my 1st shake, then we went out to the shops and done loads of walking for my snack i had a kabab and david had maccers and he had offered me a chip and i said no when we got home i had mango and yogurt and for dinner we are having a roast with mix veg and no patatos

size 14 wedding dress here i come !!!!
time4change89

Return to Introductions