It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:30 am

Free Newsletter

Lifestyle change...impending wedding!

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Lifestyle change...impending wedding!

Postby lifestylechangechick » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:24 pm

Hi all
I joined up on this site a few days ago, admittedly for the second time. Last time was about five years ago when I decided to do the Cohen's diet. It worked for about four weeks, but about two years ago I became the heaviest I have been. I remember weighing myself at 100kg, and then I didn't look at the scales for about 1 year after that....so Im sure I was about 110, but can't be certain.

Anyway, time passed and my long term partner and I broke up....I magically lost about 20kg (I imagine a result of stress).

Then I met my current about three years ago, and he proposed to me in December 2012! yay! So, it occured to me I should probably jump back on the scales and it was not a pretty sight! 93.7kg last Saturday :(

Okay, so we're planning our wedding for end of 2014, so I figure I have one year to lose the weight and one year to tone. But what im planning is a little different from all the other times: im planning a 'lifestyle change'!

First and foremost I 'plan to plan' what im going to eat before each week so I dont go hungry and end up bingeing, and also ill have all my food shopping done for the week so I dont have to attempt going to the shops and buying yummy treats! Im also going to educate myself about food and excerise, read all the articles, and maybe swap some of my fashion mags for health and fitness mags....

Anways, long as it is, this is my introduction :) So good luck to everyone else who is starting this year! Hopefully we can make it together!
lifestylechangechick

Re: Lifestyle change...impending wedding!

Postby Sydneygirl » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:50 pm

Welcome. I too am a bride to be. My wedding is just 7 weeks away now. I only started losing weight last October. I too started at 93kgs.
This site is a great place for you to start. And I hope you can reach your goals. You have plenty of time to do it right.
What is your ultimate goal. And do you have mini goals to keep you going along the way.
It's good to plan rewards for yourself each time your reach a mini goal. It's great for motivation!
Eg your first one could be to get to 90kgs.
Sophie

Highest weight 96kgs
Start weight 93kgs
Goal weight 60kgs
Sydneygirl

Postby Blitz » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:56 am

You've got the right idea. It's about lifestyle change. Making healthy lifestyle choices that will last a lifetime.

Work hard to make that lifestyle your very own. Work it so that it works in your real world life. The problem with things like the Cohen's Diet is there is no ownership of the process. It's a cookie cutter approach to life, one size fits all...no wonder it fails for the vast majority of people.

Wishing you all success
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

RE

Postby lifestylechangechick » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:17 pm

Thanks guys!

Sydney girl,my goal weight is 60 kg, which I would like to be in September this year, and then have the time next year to tone up before the big day. I suppose it would be good for me to sit down and actually write down some goals other than my final weight, which I haven't done yet! I guess my first one is making it to 90 kg, but I also have other goals, like making it to the gym at least 5 times a week :)
lifestylechangechick

Postby Blitz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:40 am

Mini goal targets are a good way to keep you keen. Success breds success. By having many small achievements along the way you will feel that you are getting somewhere.

I liked to have my next goal no more than three or so kilos away from the last one. I would try all sorts of maths and ideas to get to a number with some sort of meaning. I would find numbers like losses in 5 or 10 kilos, round number weights (120kg, 110kg, 70kg or breaking the 100kg barrier and being in the two digit weight range), percentages (10% off my original weight etc), factions (thirds, half, quarters of my target weight lost etc), use imperial measure (25lbs, 50lbs, 175lbs etc), midway point (the place where I lost 50% of my entire body weight), health landmarks like ideal BMI and being below obese classification.

Basically any number I could get. I decided that I needed to lose 87 kilos which meant that the 5 and 10 kilo marks could work both ways for me. For example if I reached the goal of losing 60 kilos then I only had 3.7 kilos to lose to weigh in at 90 kilos. But before that number I would aim at being 92.2kg which is 40% off my original starting weight (153.7kg). See how it works? I wrote all these numbers in a book and ticked them off one by one with the achieved date next to them.

Regards
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Return to Introductions