It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:40 pm

Free Newsletter

Just starting out

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Just starting out

Postby caragh87 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:12 pm

Hi All,
My name is Caragh and I’m 25 and from Sydney.
I joined this forum as a way to meet people and gain inspiration while losing weight.
I have struggled with my weight since about 8 years old. I was always a big girl, and although I was bullied I generally enjoyed life and tried not to let it get the better of me.
After a very traumatizing few years from 2005-2009 losing 3 close family members including my mum to cancer, and then watching my dad battle cancer... I continued to EAT my feelings and was working a desk job.. though I’m not exactly sure my weight climbed 15 or so kilos in that time and in October 2009 I weighed in at 97.2 kilos.

At this point I had enough, I was starting to suffer the physical effects of being overweight, tired, and sore hips and back. I had to do something. I decided that quitting smoking and getting healthy went hand in hand.. so off I went and in 9 months I lost 22 kilos by walking and counting calories. I eventually joined gym and became quite obsessed with my weight. In June of 2010 at 75 Kilos I was finally after many years feeling confident enough.. but I still saw a bigger girl who could just buy smaller size clothes. I got into a long distance relationship and he the lovely man that he is.. Introduced me to cheese and biscuits.. and reintroduced my love of alcohol. It’s a familiar story.. Someone loves you so you become comfortable.. Well I did.. I stopped exercising and pretty much ate whatever I wanted. He recognized that I was getting bigger and made comments after I put on the first 10-13 kilos.. they hurt my feelings and I probably ate more..

I eventually moved from Melbourne to Sydney and in with my dude.. I continued to work long hours, and not always watch what I was eating with no exercise too boot.. more weight crept on. We changed jobs, our relationship fell apart.
So here I am.. just about to turn 26 year old and tipping the scale at 106 kilos or I was the other day. I need to do something before it’s too late, and i am seriously suffering from obesity related health issues that can NEVER be undone.
So late last year I made the decision to go to the doctors and try duromine for a month or so to see if it helped with energy and appetite. I started 30mg on the 10th of January. I am generally feeling pretty good.. not too many side effects. My appetite has decreased a lot and my energy levels are up. I know duromine is just a crutch.. but I’m estimating i’ll lose my first 15-20 kilos on it.. I then want to lose another 26 kilos so I know it has to be about finding a balance of good food, learning to control my portions and incorporating exercise into my everyday life.

So my stats:
Starting weight: 106kg
Current weight: 106kg
Goal Weight:60kg
Mini Goal: 99kg
I look forward to interacting and “meeting” all of you.
Caz
caragh87

Re: Just starting out

Postby Blitz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:05 pm

Welcome Caz to the forum.

You will find us a supportive lot here. We have/are walking in your shoes and have empathy but more importantly for you some insights that may be of help.

Today is a new day and has the promise for a better future. What happened in the past is not an indicator for your future. You are a different person who has gain knowledge and experience. :D You have learnt two important lessons already. One, that weight loss is a life time journey and secondly, being healthy is more important than being fat.

You will be surprised how well your body can recover its health once you move the kilos off it. I know that from personal experience. I had serious asthma issues, bad back pains and generally my body was giving up. Now, I have never been so fit in my entire life. You can turn it all around...all you have to do is take this journey all the way.

I think that you do not need duromine. You know how to lose weight without it and the quicker you stop using it the quicker you can develop a normal healthy lifestyle that will work for you forever. Duromine is at best a stop gap but it doesn't teach or help you to develop a lifestyle that works in the real world. You are going to have to stop using it eventually so you might as well do it sooner than later. In the end it's your life - you decide.

Losing 46 kilos is doable. I was double your age and I lost 87 kilos so I know it can be done! Catch the vision and follow through and you will do it! :D

Wishing you a better future
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Return to Introductions