It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:13 pm

Free Newsletter

I'm a Newbie - Looking for support :)

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

I'm a Newbie - Looking for support :)

Postby Forgood » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:59 pm

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and am impressed with the support and help offered here. You have all inspired me to succeed. I am 43, mother of 3 kids (20, 18, 14), and have struggled with my weight all my adult life. In fact in my teens, I was considered the chubby sister, but when i look back at photo's I wasn't fat at all! if only I had appreciated my body then. The mind set stuck and here I am today after years of yo-yo dieting bigger than ever.
I managed to maintain a reasonable weight until 4 years ago, following some surgery, I put on 10 kilos. Then some difficult family/emotional issues and another 15kilos.
My wonderful partner, who fell in love with the big me, is planning our wedding for the end of the year. I can't bear to see myself in photo's at the moment, and there is no way our wedding photo is going to be compromised. 25 kilos gone by the end of the year!!!!
My 18 year old son is annorexic and has been hospitalised for this before, so it is difficult to discuss my dieting at home. I am trying to do this on the sly without showing any obvious signs by having diet foods/replacement meals/or attending any meetings. My approach is simpley healthy eating, smaller portions and more exercise.
I accepted a challenge to complete a month of 10,000 steps per day for a magazine. For this had to have a full health check and weigh in to see if there is any benefit after a month. I knew I was at risk of diabetes amongst other things, but the results have made me ashamed that i have let myself get this big. Its only week one of my challenge and so far so good.
Look forward to sharing my journey with you. stay tuned, weigh in next friday - hopefully good news.
cheers, M
Forgood

Re: I'm a Newbie - Looking for support :)

Postby Blitz » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:14 pm

Welcome to the forum.

You will find that this place can be a great help to you on your journey to a better future. You can discuss weight loss issues to your hearts desire here! :D

Your approach is the best way for long term success. I never used that word diet while I lost weight. It is more about developing a healthy long term lifestyle than a quick fix. Diet suggests a beginning...and an end. Permanent weight loss is about applying a remedy for life.

Once you get your healthy lifestyle organised and the weight starts to fall off, people will notice and your secret will be revealed. :shock: :lol: When I started out apart from my daughter and wife I told no one. When people did notice I did tell them I was losing weight deliberately (some thought that I may have had cancer!). Your son will notice and when he does you will be able to stress the healthy lifestyle aspect.

Wishing you success
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby Glam Girl » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:34 am

Hi there! I have lost 30 kilos before. It was actually fun. I won't say it's easy at first, but then watching the numbers roll away becomes your motivation. I wouldn't eat anything bad at the risk of that number going up the next day! Last time I ate whatever I wanted. Anything. If I wanted a chocolate biscuit I would eat it, if I wanted a ham and cheese toasted sandwich I made it. But I did not go over 1200 calories per day, which my doctor had told me, was about all a grown lady needed. I lost weight fast at first then it slowed, then it plateaued but you need to push through that sometimes two week plateau and it will start falling again! I went from 108kg to 72kgs! I then put a couple pounds back on and now I'm 79 but I'm going to lose 20kgs more. I am still sticking to a 1200 calorie diet, but this time I want more food, so I'm making sure I eat large salads, fruit and veg, things that will keep me full without being to calorie intense.

You can do it. It took me 17 weeks or so to lose the bulk of it. I also had dinner at lunch time and something light for dinner. If I got hungry before dinner time I would eat apple or something healthy.

You will look great, congrats on the wedding. x
Glam Girl

Postby Forgood » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:35 am

Hi, weigh in day today. Not too shabby, I'm happy witht the results. I have lost approx 900grams. I don't have digital scales so I'm guessing a bit because the line is just before the next mark, I think I will invest in digital scales. What I am very happy about is the 4cm off my waist, 1cm off my neck and 3cm off my hips. It sounds silly but my pants fit better all ready with just this small loss, I'd didnt have to breath in to do them up yesterday.
As part of this 10,000 step challenge I'm doing for a magazine, I am having a naturopath consult today. It will be interesting to see what she suggests. I am hypothyroid and was diagnosed at 14, probably had it for years before and explains why I am only 148cm tall. if the naturopath can suggest anything to make the sysmptoms of this condition alleviate I will be a very happy women. For years it was stable but since hitting 40, the whole balance is out and I just can't get it into line again.
Anyway, off to a good start,
M :P
Forgood

Postby Blitz » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:33 pm

Have you got a starting weight? Can't appreciate the progress without a starting point. :D Do your know what your goal weight is and how much you wish to lose? Inquiring minds want to know (ok...this sticky beak would like to know :lol: )

0.9 is a good start. Each bit off brings you closer to reaching your goal. :D
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby Forgood » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:54 am

Hi,
Yes starting weight of 86 Kilos and goal weight of 60 kilos.

had a good consult with the naturopath yesterday. She confirmed my approach as the best method and gave me some extra tips to make things move a bit quicker. Also discovered through the testing i have done that I have some considerable fluid retention. Today I started on some natural diuretics to help this and when this is gone I should see a bit more weight off.

I've now done a full week of my 10,000 step challenge. It was pouring all day yesterday and at 8pm i had only done 5000 steps. so i ended up walking in the rain for 40 minutes with the dog to reach my daily 10,000 steps. Wish I had a treadmill, would have been more comfortable.

Thanks for the encouragment :P
M
Forgood

Postby maggiemay » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Hi I'm a new girl on the block a senior lady, I felt full of admiration for you when i read your story, my journey has been similar to yours and am approaching the same strategy as you are, you have encouraged me no end, I read somewhere just yesterday that when we are big we need to eat like a thin person, and i thought WOW!! and thats just what you are doing.. Maggiemay
maggiemay

Postby FXST01 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:46 pm

Welcome aboard M. :D
bbcode Image
FXST01

Postby JJs » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi,
I am new here too, good luck with the loss. You are doing better than me already, I did not go for my walk or get to the gym in the rain.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9mUzeX/]

SW 114.9 kg 19/2/13
1st Mini Goal 110 kg
JJs

Return to Introductions