It is currently Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:47 am

Free Newsletter

Hi I'm New Here

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hi I'm New Here

Postby Liss72 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi,

I have been meaning to post an introduction since i joined a few days ago,

My name is Alicia

I'm single mum (have been for 13 years) of 3 sons 20,18 & 15yrs old, I also started Uni this year and also do voluntary work 4 1/2 day ftn.

I changed my lifestyle about 4 weeks ago i had known i needed to do something but just didn't have the enthusiasm or will power
to start until i stepped on the scales and was triple numbers which i had never been before i had come close but not over
I have always been a bigger girl (i take after my dad) even more so after i had my kids i have tried WW a couple of times and lite n easy until i went into hosp. I tend to start something and then get to say 10 kilo loss and then slip backwards or other things take over,

This time i went to see my GP about losing weight and when he weighed me and said i was 105kg (I am 5ft 2) and that my Bmi is was 43
and that when i asked if that meant obese he said morbid obese i was horrified :( i seriously hadn't realised how heavy i had gotten.

My G.p gave me a script for duromine but i waited a couple of weeks before i did I researched and spoke to a couple of friends I didn't go straight into it without thinking and looking into it first, in those two weeks i had also became a grandmother i started a week later 10/3/13 I thought this would help me to start me off (as i know its only short term for duromine) my GP wasn't just going to give my the script and say see you later,
i also started with calorie king and this has helped alot and changed the way i eat i have cut out all junky/fatty foods, and swapped for healthier choices and more aware of what i eat and drink, i live near Maccas, Hj's, KFC, Dominos, Red rooster etc so it was more convenient to just pop in daily or every other day i have not stepped foot in any since i started, when i go shopping i don't get anything that is tempting instead its fruit, cottage cheese, tuna, yoghurt, nuts/seeds, for snacks and salads. I keep myself eating and not just duromine and not eat, but i wanted to change the way i ate and stick to daily routine by keeping the food diary it helps but find it hard to get to the minimum I'm meant to have.
My exercise at the moment consists of walking and i will get off a few stops (bus) before Uni or where i work i spend a majority of my time at work on my feet.

I went back to see my Gp last week and have been put on a care plan, and have physio twice (but likely to add on afterwards) and dietitian first appointment was yesterday and she was happy with the way i am progressing and to keep going i only have 3 sessions but will continue afterwards.

I started at 105.6 and i am now 97.5kg
Liss72

Re: Hi I'm New Here

Postby Blitz » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:00 pm

Welcome Alicia

Nothing like stepping on the scales to motivate change. I stepped on the scales when I began this journey and it said "Ouch! Get off fat boy!" :shock: :lol:

Just work on your lifestyle one day at a time. Make small changes that work for you and that will end up building to a life long lifestyle.

As one who was classed as Super Morbid Obese let me tell you all those numbers and classifications are not the end of the road. ALL of that can be turned around. I did as so can you. :D

You keep on course and your life will change so much for the better. You will be more fit and healthier than you have ever been. You'll need to be - to run after that grandkid! :lol:

To your better future - all success!
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby Liss72 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:29 pm

Hi Kim,

Thank you and yes small steps just putting things in place to change my lifestyle and to eat healthier, by my Gp also keeping an eye on me and care plan that is something i haven't been through before and started this on my own rather then someone else say come on you need to watch what you eat etc but didn't realise till i did step on the scales and went to my Gp.
I just saw you weight loss omg May i ask how did you do that? that is awesome :)
Liss72

Postby Blitz » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:26 pm

Accountablity is very important for success. Unfortunately most of us are so ashamed of our weight that we hide it and that means we remain unaccountable.

Yes - I've lost a bit of weight you may say. :lol: Over half (56%) of the original me has disappeared! There is no secret to my weight loss. Eat healthy choices in proper portions (I never even counted calories) and exercise. Exercise started as a 10 minute daily walk that nearly was the death of me which was gradually increased until I was fit enough to jog for one hour, swim for one hour and go on my exercise bike for one hour and still had energy left over! I did this with a belly hernia the size of my fist, bad back and chronic asthma so my abiding guide was "do no harm". I would push myself but never to breaking point. The most important thing is getting your head in the right place. Weight loss has to become not a wish nor a want but a MUST. If your head is in the right place the rest will follow.

Check out my photos in the before and after section of this forum. Be inspired...and soon you can post your own success on this forum! 8)

Wishing you that better future.
Kim
Blitz

Postby CronicBadger » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi Alicia

You're right, it is a bit of a wakeup call when you're told your BMI puts you into the morbidly obese category. No amount of self-delusion can hide the simple fact that being obese is unhealthy and unnecessary.

I lived most of my life obese and only changed when I hit 40 - in both age and BMI :-). It can be tough at times, turning an unhealthy lifestyle into a healthy one, but it is definitely worth the effort.
CronicBadger

Postby Liss72 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:50 pm

Hi Kim,

What an inspiration you are to others, i have made some changes to the way i eat and cut so much fatty foods, cakes, sweet things, chips, from large portion size to smaller size meals, alot of carbs aswell after having pasta and rice based meals a few times a week that's changed now too and more aware of what i'm eating and making better food choices, I haven't had a cake, lollies, chips, biscuits, take away etc for about 5 weeks now even coffee now opt for tea instead.
And if happen to have bread it just seems bland to me, my sense of smell has changed aswell as taste.

How do i view your pics? still newbie here :)
Liss72

Postby Liss72 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:05 pm

CronicBadger wrote:Hi Alicia

You're right, it is a bit of a wakeup call when you're told your BMI puts you into the morbidly obese category. No amount of self-delusion can hide the simple fact that being obese is unhealthy and unnecessary.

I lived most of my life obese and only changed when I hit 40 - in both age and BMI :-). It can be tough at times, turning an unhealthy lifestyle into a healthy one, but it is definitely worth the effort.

Hi CronicBadger,

I am 40 also and think this and realizing how high my Bmi was was a shock and new right there and then i had to change and yes turning an unhealthy lifestyle to a healthy one, this is different to other diet plans i have tried WW & Lite n easy, as i'm doing it myself and being monitored by my G.p but i have changed food choices and cut alot of rubbish out and have kept going, I've never been a skinny person (my dad is bigger build) especially since i have had my boys but the youngest is now 15 yrs old, I've been a divorcee now for 13 years and been on my own for 10 years (single parent) & my dad has also changed his lifestyle also before i did. I guess i just needed to say to myself okay right I have to do this rather then have someone tell me i'm eating the wrong things etc.
Liss72

Postby Blitz » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:21 am

Just go to the Before and After section of this forum and find my thread near the top. The pictures are posted in the thread.

Failing that just private message me (User Control Panel - just above) your email and I'll send you a video clip of my appearance on Perth's Today Tonight...it has some before and after pictures on it.

Sounds like you have started doing all the right things. Good job! One of the surprises I found on my journey was my sense of taste. Foods that I formally loved so much now taste fatty and sickly. Other foods that I wouldn't have given the time of day before I now enjoy greatly!

Grab that better future!
Kim
Blitz

Postby pinksungirl » Thu May 09, 2013 3:12 pm

Welcome
i am new to this site as well and looking for support
i am ging to weigh in on Mondays so i will record my weight next monday
good luck with your journey