It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:06 am

Free Newsletter

just starting today

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

just starting today

Postby Bella-Ann » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:16 am

Hi everyone, I am new here and am very concerned about my weight problems. I am 49% body fat and am so stiff I find it hard to do anything. I was wondering what you all do to stop yourself from bingeing on snacks and emotionally eating. Need Help!!
Bella-Ann

Re: just starting today

Postby pinksungirl » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:16 pm

Welcome,

What are your goals and what are you doing, i have started 9 weeks ago using my fitness pal and it is fantastic
good luck with your journey

Pinksungirl
pinksungirl

Postby Blitz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:33 pm

Welcome Bella-Ann! Just starting today? What an exciting time for you! :D On the 1st of January 2011, I did the same. Exactly 60 weeks later I reached my goal - lost 87 kilos and totally changed my life around. I wish for you the same success. It can be done! 8)

The battle to lose weight is all about what is in the mind. You have to turn your wish to lose weight into a want and then that into a must. That means examining your life honestly and start making yourself accountable. One thing you can try is list all the reasons why you wish to lose weight (both major and the most trivial) and then list ALL the reasons why you don't. You do the things that you want to do...so there ARE a pay offs in your life for being overweight. Think through your lists deeply and carefully. If you are honest with yourself you will find that slowly but surely the wish becames a want which becomes a must. Once you are fully convinced of must then failure isn't an option.

Permanent weight loss is about developing a healthy lifestyle that works for you. That is why diets don't work...they are someone else's solutions that you are trying to fit into your lifestyle. Make small changes in your life so that good habits will take hold of you and give you success.

Bingeing on snacks is usually caused by failed diet thinking. I am on a diet which forbids that...I wish I can have that...I want that...I'll have a little bit of that...I'll have some more of that...gosh - blew the diet might as well binge on it...and eat some more because I'm such a failure! There are no forbidden foods - just better choices and healthier options. Far more important when you are starting out is get your food portions under control. We are overweight not so much because of what we eat but because of how much we eat. Start here and later you can sort out better food options.

Practical things you can do to help yourself is stop keeping rubbish food in the house and don't buy any on the road. The battle of junk food is not fought standing in front of the fridge at midnight but at the shelf at the shops (it has been months since I've been down the crisps aisle of the supermarket) in broad daylight! Emotional eating is just a bad habit way of dealing with life's habits. As you develop a healthier lifestyle you will learn the satisfaction of exercising (whether that be walking, jogging or somethiing else is up to you) instead of eating and feeling guilt.

Today is the day to start to embrace that better future! :D
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby Bella-Ann » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:47 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I had never thought of listing why I don't want to lose weight. No one ever asks that question but there must be something holding me back. That s good advice. I lie the idea about using fitness pal and am going to give that a try. :D
Bella-Ann

Postby kathyrose » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:48 pm

I started my weight loss journey 2 day's ago. As always i think about food constantly. I know this will get better. I gave up smoking
20 months ago and that was one of the hardest things i have ever done. I put on 12 kilo's and that was on top of a chubby frame.
I know it's all in the head be strong ect. I will be reading other peoples stories to help me get through.
Kathy
kathyrose

Postby admin » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:25 am

HI KathyRose, you will need to have a plan. For example, what changes are you going to make. Some suggestions below:

1. Cut out all sugary drinks and replace with water.
2. Walk, Walk, Walk. Even if you can't walk far, you must attempt to walk every day.
3. No Takeaways, cook. You have better control of the food and fat which goes into your dishes.
4. Ensure you get lots of protein into your meals as this will keep you feeling fuller for longer. Eggs, yoghurt, chicken or meat, legumes, etc.
5.Cut down your portion sizes.....most important.

Read this article which might help you in your journey. Top 10 Plan Starting a Weight Loss Plan
All the best.
Sharrelle
admin
Site Admin

Postby Blitz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:19 pm

Hey kathyrose,
Its great that you are tackling your weight problem. You can use the fact that you have quit smoking to help you get your head right. You have proven to yourself that you can kick the smoking habit which is mentally one of the toughest things to do (some drug authorities believe it is tougher to kick than cocaine!)...that means that you have the inner strength and character to deal with this weight problem. Keep that thought in your head and that alone will go a long way to help you be successful. :D

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Return to Introductions