It is currently Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:19 am

Free Newsletter

Hello, again.

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hello, again.

Postby cpr » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:50 pm

Im Cam, im 22 and from WA. I weigh 144kgs and have a goal weight of 95kgs.

The reason this post is titled "Hello, again." is that I have posted here before in April 2012. Since then, my weight has not changed and I did not manage to lose any weight.

Without repeating myself, my history goes something like this. I have always been overweight, but was able to get down to 115kgs and got accepted into the Army in 2010. After sustaining an injury 1 month before enlistment, my plans came to a halt and my weight piled on. it reached a max of about 150kgs. I have had some success in losing about 10kgs by seeing a dietician, but those kilos came back on. I have a goal of getting back into the ADF and enjoying my career.

My sister is not obese like myself, but she carries a couple of extra kilos. It affected her confidence and she had a prior history of depression, so her doctor prescribed her Duromine. She has since lost 10kgs, looks great, she feels great and is happy. After seeing my own doctor (who was incredibly patronising and condescending) I saw her doctor who was fantastic. After explaining that I had not much luck in the past and how badly I wanted to lose weight, he prescribed me one month of Duromine 30mg.

Today is my first day on Duromine and I feel good. It hasnt given me that boost of energy that I have read effected many others. I dont have dry mouth, I dont have headaches and I dont feel jittery. Will be interesting to see how I sleep tonight. I have found to be very focussed today, and have been much more productive than I usually am on my day off. I also have not thought much of food, and when I have, have not acted on that thought. (Dont know if that is the medication working, or me thinking that I shouldn't, as if the Duromine has a placebo effect).

Today I weighed myself and took all my measurements, and will do so again next week.

Reading from other people's experiences on Duromine, I am really excited for what the future may hold. I understand that this is a short term "kick start", helping me to form healthier habits and lead to a better life.

Look forward to hearing from you all, and reading your experiences on Duromine or otherwise.

cpr :)
cpr

Re: Hello, again.

Postby saffy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:50 am

Good luck with your weight loss!

I'm curious about Duromine; my doctor was thinking of prescribing it for me a couple of years ago but decided against it as he thinks in my job it's classed as a 'prohibited' drug. I don't know if he's right or not; I've never actually looked into it. But I don't wish to fail a drug test at work!

I'm new on here; I've been up around 110 kg, lost 23kg just with proper eating and exercise, then put it all back on when I gave in to bad habits one Christmas. I'm now back to around 82-85kg and seem to have plateaued but I've received some good tips on why it happens and how to push through it so hopefully I can keep my weight loss happening. But i understand your frustration at regaining lost weight. I hope you can reach your goal and join the ADF.
saffy

Postby cpr » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:11 am

Hi Saffy!

Yesterday was my first day on Duromine and I must say, i expected worse. I had no troubles sleeping last night, the only side effect i have had is headaches.

Im no doctor or pharmacist, but I would say that if you were to have a positive reading but had a prescription, you might be ok. But if its something you want to try, i would discuss it further with you doctor and maybe even someone at work who can provide guidance on your drug testing process.

I read your introduction on your post too! Well done on you previous weight loss. I know what its like to lose weight then put it all back on. Its a really average feeling! Having a very tangible goal at the end (in my case, the ADF, and in your case, Vegas) i think makes it a little easier.

All the best!

cpr
cpr

Postby cpr » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:07 pm

Today is Day 3 of Duromine and I am going very well. Only had a headache all through yesterday, but that seems to have gone today.

Have slept fairly well and have had no other issues. With regard to my appetite, I find that I dont have a problem with eating when I should, and I am able to eat a small portion and feel satisfied. While I still think about getting a chocolate bar from the vending machine or junk food for lunch, if I give it time, those cravings go all by themselves.

Before I was taking Duromine, I used to feel this void that could only be filled by chocolate or lollies. I truly think it was an addiction that I needed to satisfy cravings for each day. If I went a day without eating crap food, then the next day, the cravings would be even stronger. The past three days have been completely different. I dont feel those cravings and I feel completely satisfied with the 'normal' food I have been eating.

In terms of food, I have been eating greek yogurt and an apple for breakfast, a small handful of unsalted cashews for morning tea, a toasted ham and cheese sandwich or a grilled chicken and vege wrap for lunch, and meat and three veg for dinner (much smaller portions that before, though).

On day one, I weighed 144.3 kgs. Today, 141.6 kgs. Woohoo! Probably all water weight, but its encouraging and will keep me pushing along :)
cpr

Postby Blitz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:04 pm

Welcome back to the Forum Cam.

For long term success you have to work at getting a healthy lifestyle together that you can live with. You got overweight via your lifestyle - so that is what needs to be amended...no drug solution can do that. The sooner you go down that road - the sooner you will have long term success.

Battling cravings is all about winning the head game. The real battle for weight loss isn't about food or exercise - it is what is happening in that space between your ears. A new mindset needs to occur and with deliberate decisions to change who you are as (your being/character).

Your food as listed isn't too bad. You may want to increase the size of your breakfast (maybe some protein ie an egg). Lose the cheese on toasted ham and cheese (one bread slice is best). If you need a topping on your ham try some mustard, lite mayo or sweet mustard pickles (only a small amount - for taste).

What sort of exercise are you starting to do?

Wishing you a better future.
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Return to Introductions