It is currently Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:46 am

Free Newsletter

Hello

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hello

Postby Katers » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:21 pm

Hi, I'm katers :)

I found this forum as I was purposely looking for it or at least something like it. :)
I have tried on and off over the past 10 years to lose weight, Ive tried lots of different diets and many fads thinking they will all help me lose the desired weight I want.
My biggest problem is boredom.
I get bored rather easy and tend to give up on something before I get close to finishing it, Its my biggest fault.
I gave up smoking a year and a half ago and gained 15kg to add to my already 95kg frame, I then started a "healthy eating" program designed to re align my thinking etc and lost 10kg. I then Got bored......threw everything I had gone through out the window started eating unhealthy and even started smoking again :(
Getting around to the point of my long winded essay, I stopped smoking again 11 days ago, I have tried against try to stay away from the sugar hit to replace the feeling I got from smoking however, its not always as easy as it seems and I have to fight myself not to do it.
After 10 years of trying to lose weight I figured I have two choices.... I can give in or give it another go...

I want to give it another go!!
I saw this place and figured if I had many people to hear me call myself on my excuses it would make a difference and this time make it work...sounds silly when i say it out loud however, I'm at the last point I think...I need to be able to finish what I start.

Look forward to meeting you all :)
Katers

Re: Hello

Postby Blitz » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:33 pm

Welcome to the Forum katers! :D

Life is as boring as you make it! My approach to weight loss is about changing lifestyle. Nothing like a bit of fundamental healthy lifestyle change to chase away the mundane! :lol:

One of the things I did was to daily weigh and record myself. Every day become a race against how I did the day or week before. I also kept mini goals before me to drive me on. I would always be aiming at the next round number (whether it was kilos or pounds) in my weight or strive for a round number in my losses ie lost 10 kilos or 15 kilos. I even worked out percentages and fractions just to find new numbers to aim at.

Another thing to keep in mind is to continue to improve your game. Changing lifestyle means making small changes that work in your life. That means that as you learn what works best for you or what has changed for you then you respond in kind. Food wise that may mean discovering new foods to eat or the best times to eat. Exercise wise, as your body gets more fit and you get leaner, then your exercise will change accordingly. Also you may start out a fan of one form of exercise and then discover other sorts of activities that light your fire.

It is only boring because you allowed it to be boring. Just like you wouldn't continue to sit in front of a boring TV program without considering changing channels...so it is with all activities of life. If the weight loss program is boring - CHANGE IT! :shock: :lol:

Regards
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby Katers » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:11 pm

Thanks for the Welcome :)

I know I need to change the way I look at my health that's one of the reasons I decided to join, I thought it would give me a little more of a push should I "fall off the wagon" so to speak.

Thanks for your advice and Ideas, It is time to change things for the better too :)
Katers

Postby Blitz » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:26 am

This Forum is all about support, encouragement and accountability. The beauty about the people here is that we're all on the same page. We all know about the daily struggles, the excuses, the mind games and the like that each of us go through. You will find here practical help and understanding - and yes...a touch of "tough love" when needed!

You have had ten years of trying to lose weight. Those ten years have given you some skills (both in what and what not to do) but now is the time for real change. It is time to stop trying - and is the time to become what you should be. :D

Your better future awaits you...grab it with both hands! 8)

Best Wishes
Kim
Blitz

Postby admin » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:12 am

Katers
Just want to ask if you can break down a little more what you are board from. Is it food or exercise or both.
Exercise - set yourself a goal for a fun walk in your state. Spring is nearly here, there are tonnes of fun walks coming up and it should motivated to walk and it makes it a little more interesting. There are 1 or 2 ks events.....see our events page and commit to one in the next couple of months.

Try this link for events in your state http://goo.gl/R4510t

If it is food.....this doesnt have to be boring. Check out our recipes.....they are yummy and healthy.

I hope that helps.
Cheers
Sharrelle
admin
Site Admin

Postby Katers » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:08 pm

Thanks Blitz, that's exactly what I want to do! Tough love is something I feel I benefit from as I have in the past faltered with no one to tell me otherwise.

Admin, I'm interested mainly in support, If I falter Its nice to know I can be honest about it and have people tell me to suck it up :lol:
I have had a browse through the recipes and some of them look amazing. I love to cook So Ill absolutely be trying some out. :)

Thanks for the welcomes :)
Katers

Postby Blitz » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:29 pm

Well if you want tough love...we can deliver! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the reason why we can call each other out over things is because we have all been there. I read many excuses for weight loss failure and know them for what they are. These are the same "reasons" that I used! Been there - brought the t-shirt (in XXXL size!).

When someone writes something like, "I'm a chocoholic and I couldn't resist eating a whole slab of chocolate that I found in the fridge...specially after such a tough day at work" - well...where do I begin? Been there - done that. All of it a lie. 1st call out...you are not addicted to chocolate - you just want it. 2nd call out...what the heck is it doing in your fridge in the first place? Aren't you watching your calorie intake? Who put it in your fridge? The chocolate fairy? 3rd call out...if it is some other family member's chocolate - then what is it doing in your mouth? 4th call out...most likely the chocolate is the low grade kind that is loaded with sugar - instead of the healthier dark chocolate type. More about sugar addiction than chocolate addiction if you ask me. 5th call out...does a tough day really entitle you to sabotaging your health? - I don't think so! 6th call out...there is still no justification in eating the whole slab! "Normal" people don't eat like that. No control...that's piggish type behaviour not the actions of a reasonable person.

Weight loss is about getting honest with ourselves. The quicker we are honest to other people...the quicker we can be honest to the one person who really counts - ourselves.

Good on you for wanting some tough love in your life - success will follow! :D

Kim
Blitz

Postby admin » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:49 pm

Now that is tough love! But very funny.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Blitz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:16 pm

Thanks but I missed the biggest call out...good chocolate should always be eaten at room temperature! :lol:

Kim
Blitz

Postby Katers » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:42 pm

I'm a huge fan of tough love!!

i honestly believe its something that will help me achieve my goals and keep on track. :)
Katers

Postby Blitz » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:38 pm

When we become honest with ourselves then we can truly change. Until then the excuses we tell will bolster us into continuing our unhealthy lifestyles. No one likes listening to home truths about our failing but it has got to be done for that change to occur.

You're willingness to hear the hard things and receive the tough love will go a long way to give you the success you wish for...good work! :D

Kim
Blitz

Postby Katers » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:34 pm

Thanks Kim :)

Being honest with myself is something that is hard to do, considering I never believed there was a Problem with my weight, I would often tell people too I'm big boned, its my family genetics as they are all bigger people too. those were just the tip of the iceberg.
I have gone two days without making excuses and its been HARD!! lol
This evening I had to literally talk myself out of having a chocolate Yogo because I wasn't hungry, I just wanted something to eat. needless to say I won and no chocolate yogo was had.
One small step of success for Kate woohooo lol
Katers

Postby Blitz » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:02 pm

We here have all done that. Big boned? ha!...the reason why we are big boned because our body made extra to support our tremendous girth! :lol:

None so blind as those who don't want to see! In car parks I use to get stuck between cars because in my head I was skinner than I actually was so I would attempt to get the elephant in a space where only small beasts should go. :shock: It must be a coping mechanism - most overweight people under estimate how much they actually weigh. Reality is sometimes too convicting!

Kate: 1...Chocolate Yogo: 0 :D Keep up the good work!

Kim
Blitz

Postby Katers » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:27 pm

Oh I underestimate my weight a lot of the time.
I often think Im not that overweight and then i catch a glimpse in one of the many wardrobe mirrors in the house and i freak out.
Gone are the days of freaking out.
Something is being done about it then that glimpse will become a long lingering stare at the NOT over weight person in the reflection. :)
Thanks for the support Kim :)
Katers

Postby Blitz » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:03 pm

Self image is a very fascinating thing. Most of the time I just considered myself slightly overweight. Towards the end I thought that perhaps my weight may be a little out of control. Only later that I discovered that I was officially in the "Super Obese" category! :shock:

I just didn't see the problem. Things I railed about were fixed seats that you couldn't squeeze into, small theatre, movie and airline seats (not to mention airline seat belts!), flimsy function chairs that couldn't support your weight and the lack of decent clothes in local department stores for the "slightly larger" man! Why were these things not accommodating the larger population of the Western World? - I would ask as I slowly grow into the size of a small mountain.

Most of us are finally here because we have caught a glimpse of how we really are. It may have been a photo, a video or a favourite item of clothing that no longer fits. One of the most interesting things that has happened to me was a few months after I lost my weight. My wife was sorting out some old photos and she drew attention to a few of my old pictures. To both my wife and myself suddenly those photos looked like someone had doctored them. Like someone had taken the photos and made me look wider than I really was. What happened was both of us were seeing my old self with normal eyes...finally we could see the true extent of the problem. But at the time of the problem we just couldn't see it. :shock: :lol:

Kim
Blitz

Next

Return to Introductions