It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:33 pm

Free Newsletter

Hello

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Hello

Postby saffy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:31 pm

Hi katers, I'm fairly new here too.

Blitz suggests a daily weigh-in. My only issue with that is, if you hit a plateau or start lifting weights, that daily weigh-in can be very depressing. i know, I've been there. Only in the last few days am I starting to see the scales edge downward a little.

More importantly, if you think you are gaining muscle but losing fat, how do your clothes fit? Mine are getting looser despite me apparently stagnating at around 81-82 kilos for the past few weeks. That's because I've been doing weight training most days. You can get information online if you can't get to a gym or afford a personal trainer. In my case, my son has had the benefit of a personal trainer and we have a gym (unmanned) at our work so I got him to come along and show me a few things on some of the machines. Plus I've found some great videos on YouTube. i find it's hard to follow from written instructions how to do some exercises, but to actually see it done...

I also spent $59 at Big W and bought a basic set of hand weights - weights, bars and locking nuts so I can make up dumbbells from 2.5 kg each up to 7.5 kg each although mostly I'm working on 5 kg. I'm getting more toned; it doesn't bulk you up like I was afraid it would. there is no point using the really tiny dumbbells like 1 kg unless you are seriously weak.

Good luck!
saffy

Postby Blitz » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:12 pm

You are absolutely right about daily weigh ins. That is why most experts don't recommend that you do it.

If you do go the daily weigh in route - you must really get a balanced view about it. Daily figures can bounce around an awful lot - and for many reasons: muscle making, water retention, illness, natural body cycles, "that time of the month", bowel movements and what you have eaten (what, when and how much)...just to name a few. Weekly weigh ins give you the "bigger picture" (as do fortnightly or monthly).

The advantage of daily weigh ins is that it helps you learn how your body reacts to various things that life throws at it. You start to see how your body's weight changes and how/when those changes occur. For example, a 90 minute sweat-a-thon on the exercise bike can yield me a kilo loss but that number is a "soft" number because most of that loss is made up of sweat/water. If I do an exercise that I haven't done for a while like a good hour jog or weeding the garden - that exercise doesn't show up straight away. The next day my weight is the same or even a bit more and my muscles are stiff and aching but I know from experience in the next couple of days I will get real good results because of what I've done.

For me the daily weigh in kept me on track, taught me how my body worked, what foods and exercise helped me get to where I wanted to go and kept me accountable daily. I kept a good perspective on my daily numbers. I was always far more ruthless and concerned about my Friday weekly weigh in. :shock: :lol:

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby danielle1 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:40 pm

Hello, My name's Danielle and I am new. Not sure if this is where to say 'hi' but anyways!!

I need to lose weight - and i am - more than 13kgs so far - but you know weight loss takes time......and so many feelings over som many days....can get tiresome!

Wishing everyone well

Danielle
Paleo Weight Loss Retreat
danielle1

Postby Blitz » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:06 pm

Welcome Danielle! :D

Good on you for losing 13kgs so far! 8) How much more weight do you want to lose? What is your goal weight?

Losing weight does take time but it is time well worth spending. We are all impatient for results but we must remember that we didn't get overweight overnight so it is unrealistic not to expect that this journey should take time. When I started I expected that I would lose the 87kgs that I needed to lose in just a little over 8 months! In the end it took me 14 months to do it...and that probably was too fast! :shock: Don't worry about the time frame too much. Work hard to build a healthy lifestyle that will last instead. 8)

Wishing you all success on your journey to a better future. :D
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Previous

Return to Introductions