It is currently Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:54 am

Free Newsletter

Sydney guy here

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Sydney guy here

Postby That Guy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:52 pm

Hey guys,

I'm a 33 y.o guy from Sydney. Married to my long term partner of 14 years, with our first child due in June.

In my teens, I never exercised much. I had a somewhat active lifestyle, no sports or anything just well...yknow, I was your average semi-active teen.
I lie, I actually did baseball for a while, and some thai boxing.

That kind of came to an end when I was 15-16 and got glandular fever - I don't know how familiar you guys are with this, but lets just say it knocks your immune system around, and kills your energy levels.
It effected me pretty badly, I had to give up all the physical things I really did...even getting up and walking around was an issue some days.
The one good thing that came of it, is when my body finally kicked it out - my immune system had built up pretty significantly. I've had cause to take antibiotics maybe twice since, and I seldom get sick.

The bad?
Well I was never too careful with my diet, young and thinking all was well...the lack of physical activity and the halting of other activity was (I think) the beginning of a downhill slope into being overweight.

I didn't realise the gain for a while, a few people made some comments etc and I just thought "bullshit"...never being too image obsessed I didn't worry about it.
By the time I was 20-22 I noticed it personally, and, I don't know how to say this but, I was a bit of a lazy stoner. I never did anything about it. I probably habitually over-ate, and most of our activities as a couple
was just hanging out, blazing up, watching movies, playing videogames, working p/t and generally not doing much.

This, sadly, wasted most of my 20's.
My weight yoyo'd a bit, but always "overweight". I mean I carry it kind of well, I'm not that tall but I'm average in height and have a very broad frame.
Doesn't make it any easier, that.

So when I was about 30, we started thinking and talking about gym.
We went for an unsuccessful stint over about 6 months, kind of let it lapse and didn't bother with it for a while when the lady had an injury...going back, just kind of fell by on the wayside.

We came back to it about a year and a half ago.
I don't really do weights, as I'm focusing on taking off fat and thats about it (but I understand this may be a mistake), and I largely do cardio with some resistance for strength building to a point.
I was/am doing pretty well.
Diet has improved, but it's not perfect - Laying off the soft drinks and heavy in sugar items, keeping takeaway to a minimum.
I'm now adhering more, and doing gym 4 times a week, about an hour and 20 minutes per session.
There has been weight loss.
There has been weight gain.
I had a job at a warehouse that was basically unloading shipping containers 4-5 days a week...hurt my back some (aggravated my spina-bifida), but between that and the gym it really came off, lost about 14 kilos.
When I lost that job due to said back issues, just saw lower back really, within a month, I had gained 10-11 kilos back.
This was Really disappointing.

Gym was on and off, this was about a year ago now...and I've been trying to get into this again and work out how to lose weight and keep it off.
It's slow going - at this stage I make SURE to go to my regular sessions, no matter what.

I'm 33, and I currently weigh...wow...I haven't checked in a while (sometimes, after a gym session I really want to, but don't want to end it on disappointment), but I'd say somewhere around 118-120kgs. I'm pretty much like a walking fridge.
I'm seeing loss, but damn, it's very slow.
I don't really like myself and where I'm at. I don't like seeing my reflection. I want to be the guy I used to be, or at least on the way.
I've got a great partner who's supportive and sticks by me, we've both got some to lose together.

I'm just looking for some tips and information about how to perhaps facilitate further weight loss, and I'll probably post some big random question thread.
I hope to one day, be in a position that I can jump in and help someone that's in a position similar to me.

Anyhow, I don't have a lot more to say right now, just thought I'd get across where I'm at right now.
Cheers.
That Guy

Re: Sydney guy here

Postby Blitz » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:04 am

Hey - That Guy...welcome to the Forum! :D

I feel a lot of despair in your post but I want you to get hopeful! This forum is full of people who are turning there lives around and are changing it for the better. I want you to go to the before and after photos in this forum and see my photos that I posted - THAT COULD BE YOU!

If I; past 50 years of age, chronic asthmatic, bad back, belly hernia the size of your fist and with no useful knowledge how to lose weight can end up losing 87 kilos in 60 weeks then, trust me, you too can do it as well!

Don't just dream it...become your dream. There is a better future for you. 8)

This forum is a great place to find help and support in your weight loss journey.

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby That Guy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:04 pm

Hey there,

Not much traffic around these parts hm?

Hm, yeah I'm not really sure if it's at despair level yet but it's kind of "getting f'n tired of it" level.
Right now I'm just trying to adhere a bit more...make sure I get in at least a half hour of cardio every time I go in which is every second day.
Trying to alter my routine every time I go in...but not sure if that means add/drop things or just change the order.

Impressive pictures, you don't actually look like the same guy.

I'll keep reading and seeing what I see.
That Guy

Postby DD Diva » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:18 am

Blitz wrote:If I; past 50 years of age, chronic asthmatic, bad back, belly hernia the size of your fist and with no useful knowledge how to lose weight can end up losing 87 kilos in 60 weeks then, trust me, you too can do it as well!

Don't just dream it...become your dream. There is a better future for you. 8)

This forum is a great place to find help and support in your weight loss journey.

Kim

Absolutely! You tell em' Kim :wink: you're an inspiration to us all and I for one, am so glad you're here to share and inspire us with your success.

Thatguy, you can do it too.

Like Kim, I'm 50+ and although I have a way to go yet, I've managed to shed a substantial amount of weight over a year. It's been a battle, but the one thing that has kept me going is my positive mindset. A healthy attitude is as important as healthy food choices. No amount of lettuce leaves or cardio workouts can substitute for a positive outlook. I don't believe in "you are what you eat" but rather, "you are what you feel" and if you're feeling down you need (at first) try to convince yourself you're going to be happy, and once the weight starts to move downward, hey presto, you will ACTUALLY start to be happy!

I know you can do it to, and joining us here, you can rest assured (though the traffic isn't always hectic) we're here to support you through this journey. :)
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:40 am

Oh Diva, you are so so right! It's that muscle between the ears that needs the biggest workout!

Win the mind game and the whole weight loss thing falls into place. 8)

Kim
Blitz

Postby DD Diva » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:46 am

Yep.....one of these -> :D followed by the occasional :lol: (when you goof off) is the best way to pick yourself up, jump back on the wagon, and keep moving forward. :wink:
DD Diva

Postby That Guy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:04 pm

Trying to stay motivated.
Gym every second day. I do a few curls when I wake up in the morning.
It is difficult at this stage though guys...I am angry at myself. I hate the guy in the mirror.

Today, I did some resistance and ?rope? work on about 4 machines, including one that kind of simulated rowing, then about 4 minutes on the water wheel thing with my arms, and a bike ride.

I set the bike to a "random" programme, difficulty 11, whatever that means (they initially advised 8), and I rode 14.04 kms within 25 minutes.
5 minute cooldown added about 2ks to that.

I have come across something that's kind of interesting too.
I will be calling it "fake hunger".
After the gym I feel a bit light headed...sometimes headachy even...and I have a "benign tremor" in my hands that really goes off.
I also feel famished. Really REALLY hungry.
I did some reading and it seems like when you go the the gym you pump your metabolism up, and while it's still there you're likely using your fat more.
I think the idea is to leave food alone after gym?
Anyways, that's what I did all the same.
I drank some more water, ignored my hunger, and went to a cafe and had some earl grey tea with skim. TINY amount of honey.
As I was waiting for my teapot to come out, I realised (this was bout a half hour later after gym) that my hunger had subsided.

After reading what I have, I feel, like the conclusion must be that this is the body asking for an easier fuel source, foods, sugars etc.
I didn't give it anything. The hunger went away. Fake hunger.

So I just thought I'd mention that.

I still don't know what my static/resting bpm is, so no great changes have been made.
Just trying to make sure I adhere, and stay a bit longer with the cardio.
That Guy

Postby Blitz » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:07 am

It is difficult at this stage though guys...I am angry at myself. I hate the guy in the mirror.
Well use this emotion instead of letting it beat yourself up. When I was losing weight, I would look into the mirror...get angry; grip my massive stomach and shake it saying to myself "this fat bast**d has to go!". My sister once pulled me up when I referred to myself as that. She said that I shouldn't put myself down. I told that she had it wrong. I was referring to the guy who had taken over my body...that is not who I was...and it was my job to get rid of him...pronto! :shock: :lol:

It isn't "fake" hunger pangs as such. It is real enough...just that it will pass quickly. Your body is covering the bases...it sees you using calories up and wants to maintain the status quo, so it gives you a little hunger nudge. Lots of water will fill the belly and also hydrate you after all that exercise. An apple is also a good idea. That will give the body something to start with and then it will continue with your fat stores.

Kim
Blitz

Postby äirly » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:33 am

Hey Thatguy,

Couldnt read your post and not reply! If it werent for slightly different circumstances (we're in Melb) it could have been written by my long term bf and myself ;) He had an on again/off again addiction to weed, I bummed around in PT work and schooling, and we both love video games xD (actually I still play world of warcraft when my kid is having her daytime naps - waiting for a battleground to pop as I type xD)

I believe that weight training it good for weightloss, as you burn fat/put on muscle (and muscle burns more fat than fat... so really muscly people can eat more, and burn more calories just sitting still). You dont have to get as ripped as Arnie.

Walking around the neighbourhood is good. Especially when you have a kid. I usually take mine for a walk in the morning (go to the park etc) and at night when the bf gets home we go again. Its nice getting some time in the open air, we can talk about our day etc, and our kid enjoys it and stays out of mischief. When she was a newborn it was also an easy way to get her to nap - she would have a late nap at 6.00pm or so in the pram, and then go to bed at 9.00pm or so. (You may be concerned about weightloss now, however in a few months the only thing you will care about is SLEEP. Yours, the babies, your wifes. Trust me.)

Anyway, try not to get too down about the weight. I know how awful it is to hate your reflection, been there, done that ;) But you cant change overnight. It really is little increments, then one day you look back and that whole phase was over. Just try to take it slow for now and be gentle with yourself and just keep moving forward.
HW: 84kgs (2011) got down to 67kgs (2012)
SW: 74kgs - (2013) post baby!
CW: 68kgs (Updated 6 May 2014)
GW: 62-64kgs (size 10)
äirly

Postby DD Diva » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:54 am

Thatguy,

The first step to recovery is acknowledging you have something that needs fixing, and it seems you checked that box! Now time to move on (to the next, and in my opinion probably the most important) step.....forgiving yourself for not doing something about the situation earlier.
Okay, so you're carrying weight, you're not happy with how you look, that's fair enough.
But here's the thing, you have options! You can either go on feeling sorry for yourself which will attract comfort eating and the weight to crept up, and consequently you get even more down on yourself and the self loathing escalates, OR.....
You can take steps to move forward, and work on cutting yourself some slack! Give yourself credit, you've taken on the task of getting better, now allow yourself to actually do it, in whatever form that takes (weight watches, calorie counting, Lite n Easy, Jenny Craig.....whatever it is that works for you).
I feel for you, really I do but both my sympathy for you, and that which you feel for yourself isn't going to do you any good.
I believe that you're hurting enough to make a change.
Now prove it to us both! You can do this!!! :wink:
DD Diva

Return to Introductions