It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:10 pm

Free Newsletter

My introduction and a pledge to my future 40yr old self.

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

My introduction and a pledge to my future 40yr old self.

Postby Mumof4Wifeto1 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:49 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm morbidly obese. Yep there I said it, it is true and it is there staring me in the face.

I am a very proud mother to four individuals ranging in age between 1yr - 10yrs old, I'm married to the love of my life and have been for 14 years, I alternate between being a stay at home Mum and a full-time Uni student.

I have been obese all of my life (okay since at least 8yrs old). I have never been fit. I have never shopped in regular stores for clothing, surprisingly I haven't really ever had a low opinion of myself either. Funnily enough my size has never been a contributor to my happiness, goals and relationships, therefore I never really gave it much thought or attention. In fact I have not really ever put much effort into losing weight before so this is unexplored territory, so I have no idea what will work for me and what won't but I am pretty good at trial and error.

I am on Day 9 of my healthier habits journey, I refuse to title it a diet because I am not fasting, juicing, detoxing, shaking, or having surgery. There are many reasons why I need to adopt healthier living standards for myself and for my family, glaringly one is the fact that my older two cherubs are following in their Mum's and Dad's footsteps and are not terribly active kids. Unbeknownst to them, the more they come walking with me, climbing with me, riding with me they too will benefit from this change, shhhhh don't tell them about it or the shine will rub off.

At the beginning of this journey (9days ago) I weighed 126kg.

Wow when written that looks HUGE.

I am 163cms tall, and when I weighed in on Monday I had lost 2.3kg. For the past 9 days I have been using the MFP to watch the calories I put in and tally the exercise I put out. I figure that is the key isn't it? Less in more out? Who knows I guess coming back to this post in a years time will tell.

So that is my game plan. Record record record everything I put in. Attempt to keep it within the 1200 -1300 calorie range. And move, yep walk, skip, climb, dance.....just move. I am the first person that looks for a chair in the room, I am the first person to sit for a chat. Coupled with the time I need to be sitting on my backside in Uni I can literally feel my backside spreading. I have never been an active person until now. Now I will the person who walks daily, the person who climbs the spider web at the playground, the person who rides their bike, the person who dances till they are dizzy and the person who gets outsides consistently to kick the ball with the kids.

My goal is to reduce considerably, I don't know how long it will take, but I do know it will be completed before this mum turns 40. (So 2.5 years). Is it bad that I can't put a number on it? I have no idea what fit and healthy looks like for me, I am kind of just banking on my body letting me know.

So I guess this is just me saying hello, I have been stalking you all for a while now and will continue too when I feel motivation is lacking! Thanks for stopping by and reading a little about me :)
Mumof4Wifeto1

Re: My introduction and a pledge to my future 40yr old self.

Postby tinkerbella » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:53 pm

Jade,
welcome too The Family,
one day at a time.....

You really can do this....
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby DD Diva » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:32 pm

Mumof4Wifeto1 wrote:At the beginning of this journey (9days ago) I weighed 126kg.

I promised myself that I wouldn't post anything more, but Jade I saw your post and just "had to" because you are where I was this time last year.
On NY day 2012, I was 126kg and it was the start of my journey, 126.6kg to be exact.
I am 152cm tall, so that makes me even bigger proportionally!
I am now 80.4kg (and still another 20kg to get to goal) and if I can do it, so can you!!! :wink:
Best of luck with it, I know you can do it, if you believe in yourself (as much as I believe in you) YOU WILL MAKE IT!!! :wink:
The hardest battle isn't the treadmill or the piece of chocolate staring you in the face, it's in your head!!! Win that battle, and the rest will come (off)!!!
DD Diva

Postby DD Diva » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:35 pm

DD Diva wrote:
Mumof4Wifeto1 wrote:At the beginning of this journey (9days ago) I weighed 126kg.

I promised myself that I wouldn't post anything more, but Jade I saw your post and just "had to" because you are where I was last year.
On NY day 2013, I was 126kg and it was the start of my journey, 126.6kg to be exact.
I am 152cm tall, so that makes me even bigger proportionally!
I am now 80.4kg (and still another 20kg to get to goal) and if I can do it, so can you!!! :wink:
Best of luck with it, I know you can do it, if you believe in yourself (as much as I believe in you) YOU WILL MAKE IT!!! :wink:
The hardest battle isn't the treadmill or the piece of chocolate staring you in the face, it's in your head!!! Win that battle, and the rest will come (off)!!!
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:12 am

Welcome to the Forum! Come out of the stalking shadows and into the light! :D :lol:

There is a lot in your post that I can relate to. The good news is that change is more than possible!
Not only was I morbidly obese but I managed to get myself into the SUPER morbidly obese category before the penny dropped that something should be done. :shock: :lol:

Like you I never did the slightest thing to lose weight in all those years. Getting onto the wrong side of 50 and discovery that the body wasn't coping as well as it once did, all drove it home for me that if I wanted to be around for my daughter's 21st I had better do something about my weight.
Like you I recorded everything (okay...I failed on the food diary bit - only managed 3 days) in my "weight loss" book.
Like you I also never ever called it a diet. It was always about a healthier lifestyle.

I started my journey on the 1st of January 2011at 153.7kg - and hit my goal on 24th of February 2012...losing 87 kilos in 60 weeks (I was in a bit of a hurry...you may want to take longer :lol: ). I have kept that weight off since that time. Check out my Before and After photos in that section for the visuals.

This can be you! 8) I did all that without any previous experience, with a belly hernia the size of my fist, with a bad back, the wrong side of 50 and chronic asthma...so if I can do it - anyone can! :D

To be successful you'll need a target. Otherwise how will you measure your success and figure how much more you need to do? I've looked up your height on various weight charts. Miller Formula suggests 58.4kg, Robinson Formula suggests 55.7kg and the Devine Formula reckon it at 54.6kg. These weights are considered a bit lower than they should be by modern researchers. A graph range for your height is between 50kg to 70kg. Also you'll need to factor in loose skin that you'll have some of from carrying 126kg. Taking all that into account I would suggest that 65kg isn't too far out. Use that figure as a goal and when you get nearer you can adjust as you feel best for yourself.

I urge you to join into the Forum activities fully. This will help you keep your focus, give you support/encouragement and make you accountable. Also there is much wisdom here that will help you from having to reinvent the wheel. I know that if I had the Forum available when I was losing weight - it would have been a heck of a lot easier and quicker!

Wishing for you that better future! 8)
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby JP1 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:17 am

A lot of people on here have lost a lot more weight so take comfort from that and that if you are serious you have come to the right place for support, welcome aboard..
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 112.5 Kg (26 Jan 2016)
Current :99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014)
Target : 94 Kgs by 15th Jul
JP1

Postby Mumof4Wifeto1 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:13 pm

Thank you so much for your warm welcome :D

I appreciate everyone's input and it is crucial to know that there is help /advice at the tip of my fingers! Blitz I never really put a number on it due to the number looking so far away. I think mid 60's would be ideal, right now though I think I will focus on getting to 115kg. I'm thinking I will approach it in 10kg lots, and each time I reach my goal I will give myself a little reward... ( I really want a pedicure, and a salon visit for my hair, a gorgeous date night out with hubby etc....)

My husband bless his heart is big too, I have tried to get him excited to jump on board and lose his weight with me but he doesn't seem to keen. He is a status quo type of guy...... I have a feeling once weight loss becomes noticeable on me he will start to smarten up and embrace the changes, until then I just need to power on.

I will jump on in to forum activities and am aiming to start a weekly check in thread and participate as much as I can (with four kids.... two of which are on school holidays! :lol: )

Blitz I will check out your before and after shots, I tend to agree that visuals are the best motivators!

I can and will do this!
Mumof4Wifeto1

Postby tinkerbella » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:06 pm

Kim watches over us all and hes become my rock...
He will become your rock also....
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby Blitz » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:48 pm

He has got plenty rocks in his head to go around! :lol:

Glad that you feel comfortable to join in. You really will find some useful help and support here from people who have/are walking this same journey and so understand.

Mini goals are great. They are the carrots that keep you pushing forward when your target goal seems so far away. Your 10 kilo achievement rewards are excellent idea method to keep you keen (and lean). I too used 10 kilo rewards...probably not in the traditional way though. If a food was tempting me with it's siren's call, I would allow myself to have it...only as a reward for losing 10 kilos. That way I wasn't "denying" myself but had to earn it. Often by the time I "earnt" it...I was over it. My first one was a small glass bottle of coke. By the time I had it, I knew that it wouldn't tempt me again. Some of the rewards did stick though, such as mushroom pies. Even in reward mode however they were never extra foods (calories)...they were always consumed as part of that day's intake. It seemed to work for me...in my salad days I was losing about 10 kilos a month. You method however is probably more responsible...no one ever gained weigh having a pedicure! :lol: 8)

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Return to Introductions