It is currently Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:03 pm

Free Newsletter

Hello :)

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hello :)

Postby Cackleberry » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:44 pm

Hi :) I am yet to have a proper look around this forum and create my signature etc, but wanted to introduce myself. I live in Victoria and am wanting to lose around 25kgs. My short term goal would be 10kgs, that would be amazing!! I have been this same weight for a few years now and have tried so many things to lose the weight over that time, even to just make a start on my weight loss but I always fail in the first week, can't even make it to the first weigh in most of the time :? When I was first married, I weighed 56kg. And I thought I was fat, lol. I am now sitting at 79kg and I refuse to get to that 80kg mark. I have got down to 66kg around 8 years ago but felt I relaxed as I was happy. I'd love to be feeling fantastic by Christmas and feeling like i've achieved something. Anyway, I feel like I have so much to say, but will leave it at that for now. Looking forward to getting to know you all.
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
Short Term GW 69kg (10kg loss)
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Re: Hello :)

Postby DD Diva » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:38 pm

Hello and welcome! :D
If you're here to be inspired, supported and to work on building a better and healthier lifestyle for yourself then you've come to the right place!
There's lots of people here all travelling the same road, and it doesn't matter if it's one or 100 kilos that needs to go, we are all here to support you, and each other in the battle of losing it!!!
Look forward to getting to know you Cackleberry!!! :wink:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:31 am

Welcome to the Forum Cackleberry! :D

Glad that you have decided to stop the rot before you hit that 80kg mark. This Forum is a great place to find support, advice, encouragement and above all - accountability. Don't be shy round here...the more you use this place - the more use it will be to help you to get to where you want to be.

There are twenty weeks until Christmas...that will be plenty of time for you to make a huge dent in the weight you want to lose. If you manage to lose a kilo a week on average (we can help you do this)...that's 20kg off! - Definitely a wonderful Christmas present to your self, right? 8)

Since you have a history of not surviving the first week can I make a few suggestions that you may find helpful?

1) Don't think of weight loss as a diet. This is about changing lifestyle. Diets are temporary...healthy lifestyles are forever.

2) Take it one day at a time. Change one thing at a time. You have spent years growing (literally) bad habits. Good habits need time to take root and grow. Let them grow with space and good nurturing.

3) There is no such thing as good or bad food. All foods are morally neutral. Too much of anything will kill you even "good" food. Portion control is more important than what sort of foods you eat. As you become more aware you will start to make healthy balanced food choices. These foods are the ones that will give you a full gut feeling without too high energy cost (high calories). But when you are beginning it is more important to get control of your food portions. Generally speaking, most obese people are eating twice the amount of food than they should be.

4) Don't forbid yourself of your favourite foods. Just moderate (this is a key word) your eating of it. Also find healthy versions of your favourite. If your poison happens to be chocolate for example...dark chocolate is preferable than white chocolate. Forbid a food sets you up for failure. That is why diets don't work. They are someone else's idea of your lifestyle...you have to work out a healthy lifestyle that works for you and that you can own.

5) Start exercising. Don't start too hard. Slowly and steadily build up your fitness. My general rule is: push yourself but don't break yourself. It is no good going at it first off at a hundreds miles an hour and finding yourself crashing and burning. After all, an athlete builds up their fitness for a race event...so too should we build slowly that healthy lifestyle that will last.

6) The most important thing you can do for yourself...get your head in the right place. Successful healthy lifestyle can only happen if you are truly prepared to change. Weight loss can't just be a wish nor a want - it has to be turned in to a MUST. Soak your head with the desire to change and that wish will become a want which will turn into a MUST.

Wishing you a better future
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby Cackleberry » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:18 am

Thanks DD Diva and Blitz for your warm welcomes :) I have a feeling I am going to love this forum!!
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Postby Cackleberry » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:21 am

Blitz, I don't think that 1kg a week will work for me. I think slow and steady will work this time. I have a bad 'dieting' history of yo yo dieting and this time I would like to do it in a way that will stick. But you are so right, even if I lost 500gm per week (my goal), then by Christmas I will make my first goal of 10kg lost. I was down to 66.6kg around 7 years ago when I went on Weight Watchers and felt fantastic, so fantastic that I then relaxed a bit too much. I want this to be a lifestyle change, something I will stick to. Gosh, to be down to 69kg by Christmas sounds amazing!!
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Postby ganymede » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:21 pm

Welcome Cackleberry! Great to see some new faces on the forum :)

Let me start off first by saying this. I don't pretend to know much about weight loss. My track record speaks for itself (I'm still trying to get the hang of it!) but I assure you that this forum will provide the support and push that you need to reach your goals :D Just remember that weight loss doesn't happen over night (well, technically it does but I'm talking some serious kg's! :lol: ) and that if you chip away at it day by day, you will be well on the way to success.

As Kim has stated, this is a life journey. Please, please, PLEASE don't think of it as a diet. Or a "if I just hold out til this date...". This is a lifestyle change and one you need to be able to live with! Which means you need to incorporate ALL foods into your lifestyle. Including the bad ones! (did I just say that!? :wink: ) Now, this doesn't mean you can eat a chocolate bar everyday but it doesn't mean you can NEVER have that chocolate bar either! I recently watched a program that delved into food's grasp on the human body. Fast food, for instance, has a very similar reaction in certain parts of the brain as opiates do! :shock: So of course it is going to take some different mental conditioning to get around this way of thinking. I spent so much of this journey depriving myself of the things I wanted. When I say deprive I mean, NO you can NEVER have this because it's bad for you! And that just doesn't work. Or at least not for me.

Some people are more than happy to wave goodbye to their favourite chocolate, chips or coke - but I am NOT that person! So just remember that everything in moderation and you will see the shifts you want to see. As you say, slow and steady... 500g a week is still a great goal to have (it's the same goal as I have right now!) and remember we're all here for you to offer support however we can. So don't ever feel afraid to ask for advise or have a good ol' rant (I know I do often!! :wink: )
- Shelley

"You get whatever you settle for."

GOAL: To live life happy and healthy, to experience nature to the fullest through hiking, wading and climbing. To have that everlasting energy to achieve the things I want to achieve.
ganymede

Postby Cackleberry » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:50 pm

Thanks so much Shelley. I must admit that I am probably going to 'live' on this site for a while, you will all get sick of hearing from me :P

I am totally an 'all or nothing' person. Not just with food but life in general. It's either perfect or I don't do anything at all. When i'm trying to lose weight, I usually be very harsh on myself and if I 'stray' just a little, i'm so annoyed and feel i've failed again. This time, i'm trying just move on past that bad moment and change it before the day finishes instead of waiting for a new day. I feel the confessions part of this forum may come in handy over the time, but I am being realistic, I know I won't be perfect all the time and I need to just deal with that.

I know this sounds bad, but what worked when I lost weight with Weight Watchers was having a 'free night' once per week. Whatever I craved during the week, I allowed myself to have that one night. Just that one night, no more. It was great to get that craving out of the way and move on with my week. I looked forward to it. I am going to do that again on Saturday nights. I won't tonight as i've only just started (Day 2) but next Saturday night, I will have all the foods i've craved for this week. I lost around 10kg back on WW and felt great. I know I can do this, it's such a mental game. So glad to have support on this forum :) My hubby is supportive but he tends to give in to me too easily if I ask him to pick up some ice cream on his way home etc. He thinks he is caring for me if he does it. I have told him to be stronger with me and remind me of my goals. He knows what this means to me now and knows how much happier I will be at goal weight. I was 56kg when we met, so it's going back to how I was.

Anyway, will stop rambling now :oops: Appreciate your post and welcome :D
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Postby DD Diva » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:49 pm

I agree wholeheartedly Cackleberry, you have to have an "free" pass so to speak whether it's one meal or one day, otherwise you get a drop in blood sugar and crave sweets and/or worse! But that's just my philosophy, for what it's worth. I won't go into now, but I know that I can spot a genuine loser :lol: a from mile away, and the give away is how they talk about food;if they've come to terms with being in control or if it (the food) still dominates their thought processes!!! :oops:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:06 pm

As soon as you put a fence around something...human nature wants to jump fence and explore the other side.
One of the biggest traps we can fall into in weight loss is the "all or nothing" approach.
If you do want to eat something unhealthy then do so...but take responsibility for your actions.
Eat it moderately - who said you need to eat the whole family size chocolate block in one sitting or finish the whole 2 litres of coke in one go?
If you eat rubbish calories (high energy - low bulk) then plan to make up the short fall by eating less of the other food (you will soon learn that gut satisfaction is better than a sugar hit) or to do extra exercise to burn the extra calorie consumption.

As for not going for a one kilo a week loss...my thinking is aim for the stars and hope for the sky! :lol:
You may not get that target but at least you stretch yourself out to strive a bit harder. My original goal was to lose 2.5kg a week! Figured I'll have this weight loss thingy all done in 35 weeks! I was only out by 25 weeks! :shock: :lol: But at least I applied myself to give it my all and lost 87kg in 60 weeks which isn't too bad going. The experts believe that 1kg loss is moderate...and particularly when you are starting out. As you get to the pointy end of the journey you will find things slowing down. Make hay while the sun shines!

Cravings: How I dealt with cravings during my weight loss journey...

Firstly, I removed myself from feeling "deprived". When tempted by a food I told myself that I had eaten my life time quota of that particular unhealthy choice. It's like when I was young and my two sisters, brother and myself were given a bag of lollies. Three of us would scoff our lollies...my younger sister didn't. She would slowly eat them one by one and the lollies would last for days. The rest of us would look longing on but she would tell us we shouldn't have eaten ours so fast. My lolly bag is empty...I certainly eaten my fair share of unhealthy food (and more!)...so I have no right to expect more.

Secondly, I told myself when tempted..."that was the old me - the new me doesn't eat rubbish now...that is not who I am any more!"

Thirdly, if I couldn't get a food craving out of my head then I would use it to motivate me and make me earn it. For example, every week when I was doing the shopping this small classic glass bottle would be calling out to me (funnily none of the other sizes did it for me). I decided that I would have it BUT only if I had earned it. I told myself it was mine but only if I had lost ten kilos (I had a lot to lose - you might want to try a lower number). When I had lost the 10kg...I had the bottle...by that time I was over my craving and over coke big time. This from a litre a day man! By delaying gratification I had worked the craving out of my system - for good. I did this through out my weight loss...stuff like cream and jam do-nuts and mushroom pies. Of all the things I craved only the mushroom pies had any appeal and they were eaten not as extra treats but as part of my normal food intake.

Very glad that you are making use of the Forum so quickly...bodes well for your success! 8)
Crackleberry - do you have a "real" first name that we can use? I find it better to relate to a name rather than an user handle.

Kim
Blitz

Postby Cackleberry » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:06 am

Kim, yes my name is Karen :) I will put it on my signature. You are right, I need to learn that portion control when it comes to the higher calorie foods. I have 'dieted' since just after the birth of my first child almost 17 years ago, so I have huge diet mentality. I do see things as being 'bad' and 'good' foods. But I see the error in that and am making the changes with my thoughts :) There are a lot of mind changes I am trying to make with regards to food.

As for not going for a one kilo a week loss...my thinking is aim for the stars and hope for the sky! :lol:

I do see what you mean. With my personality, however, I would feel that i'm restricting myself too much. I tend to rebel against myself and I feel a goal is too hard to achieve. I am not competative in any way whatsoever, even with myself. If I aim too high and fail to see that result on the scales the next week, then I get disappointed in myself and the thought of failure sets in. With me, if I aim lower for 500gms per week and I get higher than that, it's such a huge bonus and i'm excited for the following week. I am a serial weigher too :? I need to stay off the scales until the end of the week. It disappoints me if i've lost a fair bit on the first couple of days and then it slows down, i'd rather see the end result. So, that is something i'm changing this time around. The times i've done well in the past is when i've been part of a group and i've been made to be accountable so feel that being part of this forum is a huge step towards success for me 8)
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Postby Cackleberry » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:08 am

I am also learning that feeling a little hungry isn't such a bad thing, I am not going to die lol. Actually the feeling of a bit of hunger is a much better feeling than feeling bloated and guilty :) And the feeling of success at the end of the day is priceless.
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Postby Blitz » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:24 pm

Cackleberry wrote:I am also learning that feeling a little hungry isn't such a bad thing, I am not going to die lol. Actually the feeling of a bit of hunger is a much better feeling than feeling bloated and guilty :) And the feeling of success at the end of the day is priceless.

Karen, when losing weight I used that little hunger feeling to motivate me. If I went to bed hungry and tired I knew that the next morning's weigh in was going to be good - and it usually was. The hunger became a badge of progress rather than a burden to endure. 8)

Kim
Blitz

Return to Introductions