It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:57 am

Free Newsletter

Newbie with 63kg to lose.

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Newbie with 63kg to lose.

Postby Minnie_65 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:27 pm

Hi everyone,
My name is Mel and I come from Melbourne. I have Type 1 Diabetes and have had this for 37 years. I also suffer with depression, high blood pressure, high chilesterol and anxiety.
I have always had an issue with food and eat like I used to drink (Yes, I am a recovering Alcoholic with 2 years and 8 months sobriety).... I BINGE :roll:
Anyway with the drinking, eating junk food and not working due to other health issues I ballooned to 129.8kg and didn't realise it. It wasn't until I spoke to some other people from my 12 step group that they told me they had an issue with food. There comes a point where you think, "How did this happen" and "OMG I didn't realise how heavy I was". Just the other day I saw my reflection in a shop window and thought how big I looked!! I was disappointed with myself.
Anyway to cut a long story short, I have started the NutriBullet eating plan and slowly working in some exercise (I haven't physically exercised on purpose for 5 years!!). First day I did exercise was yesterday (4/10/2014) and could only manage 8 minutes but it's better than the day before, which was 0 minutes. I am working with a counsellor about my food issues. Happy to report in 7 days, I have lost 3kg (which is mainly fluid retention). My goal is 60kg. Taking baby steps and breaking it into 5kg chunks and rewarding myself (NO FOOD!) after every 5kg lost :D
Minnie_65

Re: Newbie with 63kg to lose.

Postby Minnie_65 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:49 pm

I forgot to add this as well....Oops :wink:
Minnie_65

Postby DD Diva » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:32 pm

Hi Mel,
Welcome to the forum. :D
You'll find that there is a wealth of knowledge, information and most of all. encouragement, inspiration and support here. You won't be alone; we are all here for you as well as for ourselves.
I think you have done really well to keep your sobriety and then losing the initial few kilos, which can be tough enough on its own. So that is great going there too!!! Often the first few kilos is the hardest to get beyond but once you get through that first few you will feel better and mohvaled enough to go the distance.
Don't let the large amount phase you; by breaking it down into small lots (taking those baby steps), you'll get there faster than you think. That's what l did, and here I am today 52kgs lighter (but still with a way to go) :oops: BTW at my heaviest I was 135 kg and if I can do it anyone can. :roll:
I look forward to travelling the journey with you. :wink:
DD Diva

Postby Minnie_65 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:56 pm

Hey DD Diva

Thanks so much for your support. It is a litte scary with a large amount to lose but with inspirational people, like yourself, give me hope and motivation!!

Hope to share many successes with you and others :D
Minnie_65

Postby DD Diva » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:21 pm

Minnie_65 wrote:Hey DD Diva

Thanks so much for your support. It is a litte scary with a large amount to lose but with inspirational people, like yourself, give me hope and motivation!!

Hope to share many successes with you and others :D

Hey Mel,
I always have a bit of a chuckle whenever someone says that; maybe it's because I have a way to go yet, that I don't see myself as inspirational but rather, a lonely battler struggling and pushing her way through (what some days) seems a long long long tunnel (to the light).
I know you'll get through this, and you're right, "baby steps"!! They'll still get you to where you want to go, albeit slower, EVERY baby step is one giant step closer to the finish line; you'll see. :wink:
BTW...good to have fellow Melbournian joint the WLF clan!!! :wink:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:23 am

Welcome to the Forum Mel. :D

You will find a lot of Twelve Step program useful in your journey of weight loss. Much of your success in losing weight will depend on getting your mind in the right place. The tools of the twelve step program will greatly aid you to achieve the right mind set. 8)

My father was an alcoholic and as a boy I decide that I was not going down that path and chose abstinence. However, in my determination not to go that way - I ran smack into his other failing - obesity! :roll:
I see a lot of linkages between the two alcoholism and obesity. Many of the deep seated issues are very much the same.

I see that you have been in sobriety just about the same amount of time I've maintained my weight loss. I hope that through this weight loss journey you will be able to gather greater insight and be successful - and that binging of any sort be a thing of the past.

When I started on my weight loss journey I could only manage a ten minute (slow) walk as exercise. Towards the end of my journey I could easily jog for an hour, swim for an hour and cycle on my exercise bike for an hour - and still be up for more! :shock: This could be you! It may seem highly improbable now but I know it can be done - I've done it!

I was the wrong side of 50 years when I started this weight loss journey. I was a chronic asthmatic, bad back, ingrown toenails, had a belly hernia the size of my fist and knew nothing about weight loss. On the 1/1/2011 my weight was 153.7kg and exactly 60 weeks later (24/2/2012) I weighed in at 66.6kg - losing 87.1kg (56% off - over half of me).

Believe in yourself. It can be done...my example shows that.
More importantly - the skills that you have developed in keeping you successfully sober are the same you will need to be successful in weight loss must fill you with confidence for your future. 8)

To that better future that awaits you!
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Return to Introductions