It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:58 pm

Free Newsletter

Hi, I'm Rocca from Melbourne

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hi, I'm Rocca from Melbourne

Postby Rocca » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:50 pm

Hi everyone, thanks for having me.

I'm 28 and currently 84ishkgs, the heaviest I've ever been. I'm 5'3 and was a healthy 61kg about four years ago. It took me about 18 months to get down to that from an original 74kg so I know it's possible and I desperately want to be back there. Four years ago I moved to Melb (inner-west in case anyone's nearby), left my personal trainer, started spending a lot more time at home and managed to put on 25kg. There is a huge (no pun intended) difference between the 61 and 84kg me. I have pictures to prove it!

My diet isn't too bad in terms of making sure I get a variety of good foods, but then I pile a huge amount of junk food on top. I'll eat when I'm sad, happy, bored... I'm just addicted to putting food in my mouth. I can't even try and stop myself because I completely forget at the time that I shouldn't/don't want to be eating, I can only focus on having that food. And then I remember afterwards and feel angry and guilty. I hate that when I go clothes shopping I find myself in a bigger size section every time, I hate dreading Summer because it means less clothes to cover myself with and I hate not wanting my partner to see me naked. I don't like to go out and meet new people because I hate how I look, so I stay home and eat and just get fatter! I think it would be pretty hard to get down to the 50s so I'm setting my goal at 60kg. I feel like that is the "right" weight for me. I work in health and on top of appearances, I know how bad the extra fat is for my organs, so I just want to be healthy and feel comfortable in my skin again.

I've tried to cut out junk food a few times over the last couple of years, and/or start up exercise programs but I never stick to them. For the first time ever, I started a 'diet' just over two weeks ago. I was always against diets, as I know it's better to adjust your eating habits to be sustainable. But I put this one in inverted commas because it's my version of a diet, which doesn't really cut out any foods but has an 'aim' of staying under 1200 calories a day. Again that's not a super low calorie limit and the 'aim' is flexible, haha! So it's not really a diet. But don't tell my brain because I've found that putting myself in the mindset of 'being on a diet' has actually made it much easier to stay away from the bad foods or keep them to an absolute minimum. I know there's some debate over whether you can have an addiction to food but I do know from the last time I lost weight, that the longer you go without, the easier it gets. And the fact that I have lost almost 2kgs over the last couple of weeks without introducing exercise yet, gives me the motivation that my 'diet' is working. I didn't think I would be pleased with small numbers but it's surprising how much better it feels to think there's only just under 24kgs to go instead of just under 26.

I can tell the support here is great and I hope this forum will keep me accountable and maybe connect me with others in a similar position. Your stories are so inspiring, some of you have come a long way and are doing much better jobs than me of eating well. I hope I can use these as a kick up the butt when I need it.

Lovely to meet you all and thanks for reading. :)
R
Rocca

Re: Hi, I'm Rocca from Melbourne

Postby DD Diva » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:34 pm

Hello and welcome Rocca :D
Wow how awesome, 2 Melbourians joining in one day, we're going to rule this place!!! :wink: :lol: :lol:
Seriously though, you're in the right place here, there's lots of information, encouragement and support, and we are all in the same boat, just paddling with different sized oars!
Well done on your loss so far!! It's a good start!!
Looking forward travelling this road with, and getting to learn more about you. :wink:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:49 am

Hey Rocca - Welcome to the Forum! :D

Weight loss is all about what happens in that space between your ears. Get that right and the healthy lifestyle will follow.

What you have to do is turn weight loss from a wish to a want and then turn it into a MUST. The benefits have to outweigh the cost. Once you have got that MUST thinking in your mind set then you will be able to turn your bad lifestyle habits (unthinking eat for example) into good lifestyle habits.

Successful weight loss isn't just about getting the weight off - it is about working out a healthy lifestyle that you can live with that works for you so that it stays off forever.

BTW we are all addicted to eating...if we weren't we would die! :shock: :lol: :wink:
The secret is not 'mainline' on the stuff! :lol:

Looking forward to see how your journey unfolds and for your discovery of that better future that is out there for you! :D
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby Rocca » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:42 am

Thank you for the warm welcomes DD Diva and Kim. :)

I like the same boat, different sized oars analogy! It's true we all want the same thing in the end. I agree with you Kim, it's all in my head. I know that the benefit is worth any kind of pain or struggle and I need to get to the point where this an instinct or automatic thought process rather than hard and forced decisions.

Thanks for your support guys. I think it's going to be great to have a place to check into periodically to be able to stay on track. Hopefully tracking my progress will help me with remembering why this is a MUST like you say Kim, and keep it off forever.
Rocca

Postby Blitz » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:17 pm

This place has a lot of boating analogies! Especially ones about being in a canoe without a paddle! :lol: :wink:

Use this place Rocca...it is only as good as you are prepared to commit to it.
Here is people who know about weight loss from the inside. All those mind games that we play on ourselves?...been there - bought the t-shirt!
One of the worse things that being overweight delivers is the sense of isolation and hopelessness.
Nothing like a group full of kindred spirits tackling the same problem to build us up and strengthen us. 8)

Before I physically embarked on my weight loss journey I spent a good deal of time getting my head in the right place for it. I recommend writing out a list of ALL the reasons for losing weight (no matter how grand or trivial) and then write out a list of ALL the benefits that being overweight has (there is a pay off - if this wasn't the case you would have dealt with it long ago). When the benefits of losing weight far outweigh the cost of change then you are ready to really get ahead. Once that is done you can concentrate the mind into selling itself to the concept that lifestyle change needs to be done in order for victory to occur - forever.

Is Rocca a nickname or a shortened form of your real name?

Wishing you all success!
Kim
Blitz

Postby Rocca » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:36 pm

I think that's a great idea Kim, I have already done a pros and cons list and stuck it up on my wall where I see it every day. It's a great visual since the pros list is 10 times longer.

I am commited to here as long as I am commited to being a healthy weight and hopefully vice versa! I already know it will be a good motivator to have a place to check in to regularly. Plus tapping away in here is giving my fingers something else to do other than put food in my mouth!

Rocca is a nickname ;)
Rocca

Postby Blitz » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:17 am

Rocca wrote:I think that's a great idea Kim, I have already done a pros and cons list and stuck it up on my wall where I see it every day. It's a great visual since the pros list is 10 times longer.

Glad to hear of it. I never wrote out a physical list for myself but I did take a whole year to let the entire subject marinate in my brain (daily) until it was a done deal. A reporter once asked me what I would have done if I had failed to lose the weight. The question shocked me - I had never ever even considered the possibility of failure up to then because my thinking had been so primed beforehand to the need of success.

Rocca wrote:I am commited to here as long as I am commited to being a healthy weight and hopefully vice versa! I already know it will be a good motivator to have a place to check in to regularly. Plus tapping away in here is giving my fingers something else to do other than put food in my mouth!

The other thing to be said about hanging here is - if you are here talking the talk (or rather typing the talk) then it kinda morally obliges you to walk the walk as well. :shock: :lol:

Kim
Blitz

Return to Introductions