It is currently Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:44 pm

Free Newsletter

New, need opinions/advice! :)

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

New, need opinions/advice! :)

Postby erinb92 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:08 am

Hi!, My name is Erin and I was hoping someone could give me some opinions/advice/information to help me with my decision.
So Bit of back story, im 21, 5ft 4, I currently weigh 107 kilos, and Diabetes runs in my family, there's a pretty high chance I will get it eventually.
I went to the doctors about it, and he put me on duromine (strongest dose) and suggested I go to a consultation for getting a lap band, witch I would consider, I want to go to the consultation and find out some more information, but I know I cant afford it, Im also worried about the impact these surgeries have on your life. I've lost the weight and put it back on before, I haven't tried the duromine yet and I'm a little bit worried about going on it as I have struggled with addiction before, (I didn't mention this to my doctor)
I really want to lose the weight so my partner and I can finally get married. I just don't know if I can do it myself again, and keep it off this time and with regards to getting help to lose the weight be it surgery, meds etc, I would just like to know about other peoples experiences with these things, what works, what doesn't, you get the general idea =P
Thanks guys :)
erinb92

Re: New, need opinions/advice! :)

Postby DD Diva » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:31 am

Hello and welcome Erin! :D

There are many people in here that can help, by inspiring and supporting you through this weight loss journey.

It saddens me to see your doctor would resort to Duromine, especially for someone your age, what a terribly irresponsible doctor to think he is starting you off on a long road doomed for failure. Duromine is an extreme drug that leads to BIG losses (that's the plus side) BUT....(be warned) once you're off it regaining the weight is an even BIGGER reality!! How do I know this??? Because I was on it myself, and after I stopped I hit my all time high of 136kg!!! :shock:

Surgery is a drastic step. Personally (from what you've said) I don't think you not need lap band surgery. I know of several people, including myself who have lost huge amounts of weight without it!! I for one, went from my heaviest weight back in 2013 at 136kg, to finally getting off my butt in 2012 (making it my NY resolution) and weighing in at 126.6kg. In January 2015 it will be 2 years since I made that resolution, stuck with it and lost over 50 kilos (and hopefully come the New Year I will have reached my goal of 60kg) :wink: All done naturally, no pills, lotions, potions and definitely without surgery. If I can do it, you can too!!! :wink:

How did I do it, you ask???????? No miracles, and definitely no excuses!!! Make healthier food choices and move move move!!! Good old fashion "eat right, play right" and the rest will take care of itself. :D

There are LOTS of people in here (Blitz, GoddessInside) to name a few who are inspirational; turn to them for guidance and counsel, they (and I) will all be there for you, every step of the way, as you go through this journey, we'll all be there for you (and each other) together!!! :wink:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:39 am

Welcome to the Forum Erin! :D

Unfortunately a lot of doctors believe obesity can be cured with pills and surgery. The medical profession has a mentality towards the quick fix. The problem with this type of thinking is the quick fix is usually just a wallpaper cover up that leaves the wall underneath it cracked, rotting and ready at a future date to collapse totally.

You are right to be wary of Duromine. There are a host of side effects that aren't very helpful for your general well being. Also at very best it can only be of temporary assistance...a stop gap measure is what it really is. In my opinion you would do well to do without it. More trouble than what it is worth.

Everybody is gun ho these days about lap banding as if it is the final cure to obesity. The truth of the matter that many people who take this road still end up failing - and messing up their body to boot. The surgeons love it - marketable operation, relatively quick simple operation and good money. I've read a few books written by people who have undergone it. These books have been success stories and recommend the operation but in their pages the authors have been very candid about the difficulties. This operation can not be considered the easy option by any means. Firstly, you have to show that you can lose weight first before they will take you on. Secondly, as an overweight person, surgery of any kind carries an increased risk than the normal person. Thirdly, the lap banding adjustments are very tricky...being violently sick can happen even to those who have the best experience of it. Fourthly, medical intervention after the operation is for life...you will be taking pills to keep your vitamins up and probably reflux medication as well. Also your stomach will never be "normal". And lastly, there is no guarantee of success. Most surgeons will candidly admit that the surgery is just the start...success comes down to the patient eating and exercising right.

I recommend you read Melanie Tait's book "Fat Chance; My Big Fat Gastric Band Adventure". This is a success story and a good read but honest about the difficulties encountered. What I found interesting about the book is I believe she could have had the same success without the surgery. It was if by having the surgery she had given herself the permission to succeed. If only she had really given eating healthy and exercising well a real chance - she could have saved herself a lot of hassle (and money).

You can succeed in weight loss without pills and surgery. I was the wrong side of fifty, chronic asthmatic, bad back, ingrown toe nails, belly hernia the size of my fist and knowing nothing about weight loss when I started on the journey to lose weight. At my first weigh in I registered on the scales at 153.7kg. Exactly 60 weeks later I hit the scales at 66.6kg (87.1kg loss). It can be done...if I can do it - then anyone can do it - YOU CAN DO IT.

The main problem that hinders people from having success in weight loss is BELIEF. Many wish to lose weight; some want to lose weight - those few that succeed have to lose weight. It is about moving the mind to belief. This is where a group such as this Forum can be a real help. People here understand the problem from within (unlike doctors for example...many don't have the first clue on the subject).

This road to weight loss isn't an easy road but it is the surest way to success. There are no short cuts to weight loss...anyone that promises you that is misleading you and setting you up for failure. But once you have moved your mind into the right set then everything will follow. Why not join into the activities of the Forum and learn the way to a BETTER FUTURE? It's waiting for you...you are willing to have your gut cut open...do you have the courage to try something far more harder but more worthwhile - to have your mind changed?

Risk it - it is more than worth it! :D

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby erinb92 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:41 am

I didn't really want to go with a lap band at my age, from the research I have done it seems like they effect your life pretty drastically, and I don't really want that at 21. The whole putting all the weight back on is what worries me about the duromine, ( and I definitely agree with you about the doctor giving me duromine it was WAY too easy to get)
I think the reason I have even considered these options is because losing weight was so hard the first time I did it, I don't know if I have it in me to do it again, especially since I've just moved to a new place where I don't know anyone and have nobody to motivate me, aside from my partner but the skinny partner with the great metabolism doesn't really understand how much of a struggle it is. but I know if I don't I will end up with diabetes and that scares the crap out of me!
Unfortunately I am not a very motivated person, so even getting off my ass and trying to start losing weight will be a mammoth effort for me. Thanks for the advice guys! and I will definitely have a look for that book.
erinb92

Postby DD Diva » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:30 pm

You have taken the first step in reaching out, don't let it end there.

You DO have it in you, just believe in yourself. Weight loss begins in the head, you have to take things slow and make small changes, and gradually build up. As you progress through each little step, your confidence will grown and your waistline will shrink!!! :wink:

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF; YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

We're all here for you. :D
DD Diva

Postby erinb92 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:26 pm

Thanks, its encouraging knowing theres other people out there to help along the way, now I just need to find some motivation! =P
erinb92

Postby DD Diva » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:34 am

erinb92 wrote:Thanks, its encouraging knowing theres other people out there to help along the way, now I just need to find some motivation! =P
Then let inspiration drive you to it!!! If reading posts from people who have done it can inspire you to do the same, let that me the fire that fuels your motivation to do even better!!! :wink:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:25 am

erinb92 wrote:Thanks, its encouraging knowing theres other people out there to help along the way, now I just need to find some motivation! =P

Erin, begin at the beginning. Just make small changes and build from there.

I was the wrong side of fifty, chronic asthmatic, bad back, ingrown toe nails, belly hernia the size of my fist and knowing nothing about weight loss when I started on the journey to lose weight. At my first weigh in I registered on the scales at 153.7kg. Exactly 60 weeks later I hit the scales at 66.6kg (87.1kg loss). It can be done...if I can do it - then anyone can do it - YOU CAN DO IT.

When I posted the above in my previous post - this was written to instil belief in yourself.
There is nothing extraordinary about me or my weight loss achievements.
Believe it or not you have advantages I didn't have.
You have youth on your side...you're 21 - when I started to lose weight I was 27 days away from my 52nd birthday.
That means I've lived DECADES of bad lifestyle habits compared to you.
Another advantage you have is that you have woken up to yourself at the weight of 107kg...I finally saw the problem when I hit a massive 153.7kg! That means that you have less weight to lose. :)

If you can, please check out my before and after photos in the "Before, During and After Photos" section of the Forum. When you do I would like you to keep one thought in your head..."if he can do it - surely I can too!" Seeing is believing - see and believe - and believe it can be you too!

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Return to Introductions