It is currently Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:24 pm

Free Newsletter

First step - physical and emotional weight

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: First step - physical and emotional weight

Postby klas26 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:31 am

Hey welcome klas26 to the Forum! :D

So what is the state of play for you?
How much do you currently weigh?
What is you goal weight (how much do you need to lose)?
What things/plans are you putting into your life to achieve your goals?

You will find this Forum very useful in encouraging and keeping you accountable to your aims.
We are here for each other in this journey to a better future! 8)

Kim

Thankyou all for the warm welcome.

Hi Kim, Im from Melbourne, I started at 122.9kg down to 118kg (3 weeks start 4.9kg loss to date)
My goal is 85kg for a start then I will try for 65kg.
For someone that has spent most of their 20s and 30s over the 115kg mark 85 would be a welcome change.. I managed to reach that 4 years ago and felt good... Just a shame i didn't keep going down instead of back up.... grrrrrrr its my thing though... I dont drink, i dont smoke, and i dont do drugs.... but give me a block of chocolate and i will give anyone a run for their money :| :| :| :| :| :) :D :D :D :D :lol:

Anyway thanks agian for your internst looking forward to sharing some weightloss milestones in the near future...
klas26

Postby Blitz » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:28 am

Thanks for the low down klas26. :D

I don't drink, smoke or do drugs either...and just like you that didn't prevent me falling into the gluttony trap.
The main thing is that we are doing something about it rather than continuing down that dead end path. 8)

I've made it as 57.9kg to lose...and you've done well to knock off 4.9kg from that number...only another 53kg to go!
You will be surprised how quickly those numbers add up and before you know it - you have reached goal. :)

Each attempt at weight loss teaches us new skills and brings us closer to success.
What you have to do is pull it altogether and get a healthy lifestyle working for you that you can live with.
It is one thing to lose weight...but permanent keeping the weight off is just as important - if not more so.
Start thinking in terms of permanent lifestyle rather than just losing fat and you will start getting your head in the right place for victory. 8)

Looking forward to following your journey to that better future.

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby klas26 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:09 pm

Blitz wrote:Thanks for the low down klas26. :D

I don't drink, smoke or do drugs either...and just like you that didn't prevent me falling into the gluttony trap.
The main thing is that we are doing something about it rather than continuing down that dead end path. 8)

I've made it as 57.9kg to lose...and you've done well to knock off 4.9kg from that number...only another 53kg to go!
You will be surprised how quickly those numbers add up and before you know it - you have reached goal. :)

Each attempt at weight loss teaches us new skills and brings us closer to success.
What you have to do is pull it altogether and get a healthy lifestyle working for you that you can live with.
It is one thing to lose weight...but permanent keeping the weight off is just as important - if not more so.
Start thinking in terms of permanent lifestyle rather than just losing fat and you will start getting your head in the right place for victory. 8)

Looking forward to following your journey to that better future.

Kim

Thanks Kim,

Yes Its been an up hill battle for as far as I can remember!
HOW DID U DO IT?
I lost 40kg two years ago and Im here again.. I had a Baby and bam!! back on it came :( guess i lost focus :cry: :cry:

Bec,

Im scared as well, i recently met up with a friend and shes done an amazing job and looks fantastic but is struggling with her new look as she has lots of skin excess... Im not worried so much about that.. Im more worried about keeping it off for ever!! after the drastic measures (i wont share at this stage) ive gone through to shift weight and then have it all back on again its such an awful thought to have to think about... i guess all i can do is take it day by day like i have been doing! I curently have no real motivation tool to look forward to that will help me get there faster (ie.. a wedding) but I think im going to just have to look at this as a long term thing now this is it!!!! this is something I have to do from now on.

Im currently on a weight loss program and the other day someone had commented that i was loosing weight!! When I told them about it they turned around and said "but yes once you are off the program you may put it all back on".....

Some people are so negative!! yes that very well may be the case but Ive darn well gotta try!!
klas26

Postby Tams » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:03 pm

Absolutely you have to try! AND you have to try 'smart'.

I think just about everyone around here would say that you have to find a way that works for you as a lifestyle. As you rightly say, not something that spurs you on to do it quick (like a wedding), as this denotes 'end point' and wella...lets celebrate and go back to what we were doing before (and wella, what we weighed before!). So it's great that you already know this. Now to figuring out the lifestyle that works for you. And it is ok that it is a process. eg - a person who works with a dietician and counts calories, will gradually get moved away from the 'count' and more into 'seeing' and knowing what is healthy and appropriately sized. So if you start from a strict programme that is not really lifestyle based (eg: those meal replacement things - that's not real life, and its an 'artificial' world because of the lack of re-education with actual food and portions, so it's not sustainable long term), then have in your mind that it is for a time, and put in place measures to put in the missing elements that will help you move into a lifetime approach.

With each attempt, we learn, and there are many approaches taken by different people on the forum - so lots to think about from others!
Tams

Postby Blitz » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:54 am

Tams' post is on the mark klas26.

That person is right in one sense...once you are off the program you MAY put it back on again.
The reason why failure is possible is because there is no ownership on the process.
It is someone else's healthy lifestyle that you are aping.

Weight loss by the numbers doesn't work...this cookie cutter approach will fail unless you can make it your own.
That means that you have to use the stuff in the program that works for you and find alternatives for the things that doesn't work for you.
Nothing wrong with following someone's pattern but if blue frills isn't your thing - then don't put blue frills on!

Creating your very own healthy lifestyle is darn inconvenient...because it requires real change from within.
People don't mind doing programs to the cows come home - any but to really really change!
As it has once been said "an unexamined life isn't worth the living"...successful weight loss requires that examination.

As for keeping it off...I'm currently engaged in a thread in the Maintenance section called "Maintenance 101" where I aim to post 101 thoughts about maintaining your weight loss forever. I've just posted my 45th Thought. I've been able to maintain my weight for 2 years and 9 months since obtaining goal weight and I figured that I may be able to give a few pointers on the subject. My first thought is probably the key one to remember when you start out...The skills learnt in weight loss are the same for maintenance. If you are successful in losing the weight - you have all the skills you need to be successful in maintenance. 8)

Kim
Blitz

Postby DD Diva » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:12 am

SPOT ON KIM AND TAMS!!! :wink:

Hey Klas, short term motivational drivers such as items or events are great but you need something longer term to keep you there (preferably at goal once you get finally reach it)!!! :D Losing weight to "get into that OUTFIT" or "go to that EVENT" happens and both these things are great motivators, but to KEEP you at goal you need to have changed your attitude towards food and exercise, making the healthier choices part of your LIFESTYLE ongoing changes!!! :wink:

It seems you understand all of this, and that that in itself is a positive start.....so now all that's left to do is go forth and lose weight!!! You can do it!!! :wink:
DD Diva

Postby klas26 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:36 am

[quote="Blitz"]Tams' post is on the mark klas26.

That person is right in one sense...once you are off the program you MAY put it back on again.
The reason why failure is possible is because there is no ownership on the process.
It is someone else's healthy lifestyle that you are aping.

Well yes! That person who said this to me is also skinny and never had a weight issue in their lives either!

Thanks DD Diva! you are right I do understand the choices Ive made! and Im proud to say no matter what weightloss program or lifestyle someone chooses Im supportive of their choices, long or short term to even get the ball rolling can be scary for some as it is!! So when this relative made this comment I thought it was darn rude to say the least as "well done" would of been a more motivational comment! ( despite weather they were right or wrong)

WE have been through hell over the past 2 years which has changed our lives for ever! Unfortunately its taken such a horrific tern of events to get to this mind set, the mind set of health being vital!!!!

So here goes!!!! Why did I take the "FIRST STEP" or in my case the 100th step! While my mother was being diagnosed with cancer we were all trying to help her through it little did we (nor did he know) that our brother was terminally ill also! (within 8 weeks of diagnosis he was gone) He has left behind 2 small children and a loving wife! my mother is still fighting!
Never in a million years did I see any of this coming and although not weight related! It cant help to be overweight right?? This whole process has scared the crap out of me... So yes! im trying a program! as I have tried the lapband.... and if this doesn't work (and it will) i will keep trying until I get it right! i have kids and now nieces to help look after so I have to do what i feel will work for me!!!

I certainly have ownership in this process! a clear plan and a goal! Im sure there will be ups and then downs and then more downs and then ups..... but anything that gets me started is a blessing! I have the lapband in, so plan to get it re filled once i shift some weight....so with the two combined and a lifestyle change altogether fingers crossed I reach goal.

I need positive remarks not negative I do enough negative all by myself so I plan to stay right away from that relative!!! :D :D :D :D

once again thanks for your support Im really hoping I can report with some good
klas26

Postby DD Diva » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:04 pm

You'll be okay Klas, just take it one day at a time, and before you know it, those days will roll into weeks, and weeks into months, and before you realise....hey presto you're at goal!!! :wink: Baby steps!!! :wink:
DD Diva

Postby klas26 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:05 pm

DD Diva wrote:You'll be okay Klas, just take it one day at a time, and before you know it, those days will roll into weeks, and weeks into months, and before you realise....hey presto you're at goal!!! :wink: Baby steps!!! :wink:

Thank you kindly DD Diva
this weeks looking good for a loss :D
I can see from your tracker your doing fantastic :) :) :)
congrats :D
klas26

Postby DD Diva » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:05 pm

Glad to hear that this week looks positive for you! Can't wait to see your result....bring it on girlfriend!!! :wink:

Thanks for the kind words. I'm doing ok clothes-wise but I'm not doing too well according to my scales atm :cry: it's very demoralising to see the numbers rise when you're doing all the right things!!! :evil: I know it will balance out in the end but geez....it's tough; that last stretch of the journey is really tough!!! :shock: :(
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:23 pm

klas26 wrote:
Well yes! That person who said this to me is also skinny and never had a weight issue in their lives either!

We have all had some well meaning (and sometimes very insensitive) skinny person give us the benefit of their "wisdom".
I love those that say "it isn't hard...just eat less and move more...it's just simple maths that's all"...If the solution was that simple then why do so many people fail with so much expert help available. The statistic that horrifies me the most is that of all the people who manage to lose a significant amount of weight - only 2% of them keep it off for a year or more. That is a huge failure rate and it is about those who have succeeded in losing weight...that is one stat that I want to help make history!

This is why Forums like this comes into there own.
We on this Forum come to this problem from within.
We know the struggles, challenges, hardships and yes - even the excuses first hand.
We fully get the idea that the main battle isn't in the gym or on the plate but in that space between the ears.

Any plan you have to lose weight is better than no plan at all.
And any Program you use is better than being without any help at all.
What I advocate is making sure that whatever you do - you fully engage your being in it and make it your own.
If something doesn't fit then you make it fit somehow or change to some that does work for you.
For example, you may engage in a fabulous program that works brilliantly for you except for one small detail...every year on the first full moon you are expected to sacrifice your first born. You are kind of attached to your first born (and the police might ask some awkward questions) so you are rather reluctant to comply. So you make a slight change in the program...you notice a lot of feral cats in your neighbourhood (and you have never liked cats much anyway) that could go missing.
An extreme example I know!...but if you don't like yoghurt and your program majors on it...change it for some other healthy thing for long term success.

Looking forward to your reporting your weight loss...may those scale numbers decrease and your success increase! 8)

Kim
Blitz

Postby Bexstar » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:06 pm

Hi all
Sorry I'm not so great with replying quickly but I've been monitoring everyone's posts.
Thank you for all the encouragement.
So I'm slowly starting the changes I need with an eating plan and exercise. I believe small change is better than nothing. But I'm fully aware I will need to make bigger changes. I guess this will become apparent once I see my dr this week for blood test results. Which I've been putting off for 2 weeks. I'm almost positive I have type 2 diabetes so this along with the actual kg I weigh will be the next shocking thing I will need to accept.
Bexstar

Postby Blitz » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:11 am

Making small changes is good. Build slow but sure.
Many people make the mistake and try to change their lifestyles overnight...that path is full of risk.
After all, it took many years of bad habits to get where you are today - you have got to allow for a bit of time to nail those good habits down into your lifestyle.

Two adages I had when I started on my weight loss journey that I found very helpful...
Always listen to your body...and...push yourself but don't break yourself.
These two principles kept me pushing along but made sure that I was still able to continue. 8)

I was positive that I had diabetes too. Before I started on my weight loss journey I had a general check up and got my asthma medically under control. I was very surprised to find out that I was all clear on the diabetes front (I believe that I must have been travelling pretty close to the borders of that town though!).

Interesting, a lot of my medical problems cleared up once I did get healthy and fit.
With my asthma, I went from chronic asthmatic to almost no problem. In the old days moving off my couch required using my puffer.
These days I can go for an hour jog and not need my puffer at all.
Other problems like bad back pain, sleep apnoea, swollen ankles and even acne have all completely disappeared!

Keep making those changes. Yes be slow and sure...but remember to keep pushing the agenda along. The truth is that we are all more capable than we think we are. Push as far as you can - and then try just that little bit more. You will surprise yourself just how much more you can to (but again - listen to your body...if you break it - then it will delay your success).

What exercise are you doing? And how are you finding it?

Kim
Blitz

Postby klas26 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:56 pm

[quote="DD Diva"]Glad to hear that this week looks positive for you! Can't wait to see your result....bring it on girlfriend!!! :wink:

Im happy to report a 1.2kg loss this week I surprised myself thats for sure :lol: :lol: :lol:
So far a 6.1kg loss in a month which is ok. Im expecting it to taper off as I go on (like it usually does) so i will take that :wink:

Oh how I hate seeing that i have so much more to loose but as hubby says... "dont think about it just do it and then we will eventually look back and hopefully go......wow" (hes on the program as well). Hes right!
(shh dont tell him that :wink: )

Yeah I know what you mean, DD DIVA, in the past there have been times where i thought id done amazing only to find the scales tell me something else and then others not so good and the scales go the right way! the body is such a crazy thing!
your doing so well though, we should all be pretty proud of ourselves for even making the choice to change :wink:
I dont really feel like Ive lost any to tell you the truth but I do feel healthier and more active.. My clothes are still fitting, but last time it took me until I reached in the 90s before i noticed a massive change in my clothes. The worst thing is I gave all my size 24 away :lol: Hopefully i never ever have to need them again.
:cry:
klas26

Postby klas26 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:59 pm

Bexstar wrote:Hi all
Sorry I'm not so great with replying quickly but I've been monitoring everyone's posts.
Thank you for all the encouragement.
So I'm slowly starting the changes I need with an eating plan and exercise. I believe small change is better than nothing. But I'm fully aware I will need to make bigger changes. I guess this will become apparent once I see my dr this week for blood test results. Which I've been putting off for 2 weeks. I'm almost positive I have type 2 diabetes so this along with the actual kg I weigh will be the next shocking thing I will need to accept.

Hi Bexstar

Im the biggest in my family and everyone pretty much has diabetes except for me at this stage... figured I better get the ball rolling (weight loss wise) so i dont add to the family curse! Fingers crossed for you and your results!
good luck.
klas26

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions