It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:17 am

Free Newsletter

Introducing myself

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Introducing myself

Postby Fat 2 skinny » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:10 pm

Hi all
Iam 36yrs old and overweight. I need to rid my body of 30 kilos. It is so overwhelming to look at that number :? , I know I need to set mini goals and focus on them. But I'm finding it hard to be motivated and have the will power. So I have come here in hopes of finding some motivation.

I want to be healthy and fit so that I can keep up with my 5yr old daughter. She wants me to be healthy, and so tired all the time.

So if anyone can point me in the right direction to find some motivation, will power and the best place to start setting small goals that would be great. :D

Iam going to start keeping a food diary and find out how many calories I need to be eating to help rid my body of the excess weight. Im also going to dust of the nintendo wii and start playing the fitness games again, and dust of the aerobic step I have and find some videos to watch on step aerobics.

I really enjoy step aerobics and walking, so I may even start walking again, once my daughter to back at school, I might go for a walk instead of going home to do the house work. Her school is a 20 drive not possible to walk there we do park about 5mins down the road from the school as like a lot of schools there isn't much parent parking.

Thanks in advance.
Fat 2 skinny

Re: Introducing myself

Postby tinkerbella » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:48 pm

Hello,soon too be skinny,
Hope you don't mind the nicer name as we arnt fat we are,well we are trying too get healthy..
Welcome too the very small group but we will all try too help you with your goals..

Little steps and day by day don't get too far ahead of what you are wanting too do and all you can do is your best.

You can write everything in here whether it be your food diary or what ever you want too do,ive always found it was good too write what I eat each day in here as it made me see what im eating during a day and made me more so accountable as others can see how much I do eat each day.The people here don't really no me so it didn't matter if they seen how much I ate but it helped so very much as it kept me honest.I would sometime even take photos as it really helped me,do whatever helps you.

I count points as I find that,that what helps me...

Find what works for you and take little steps,if you want it hard enough you really can do it..

Your still very young and have got a lot of years ahead of you,you want too live a very long life and if u don't get healthy now it gets harder the older you get,you want your little girl too grow up knowing healthy,and I believe when we are healthy we are happier...

Motivation now that's a hard one the only person that can motivate you is yourself,you can find surport in others but the motivation has to come from with in yourself..But in saying that everytime you look at your daughter you should see motivation for her eyes and you wanting to be the healthiest and happiest for her..Look into your daughters eyes for motivation ..

Just remember food diarys are the best and I believe the only way too go,as I said before it keeps one honest ..

I now believe weight lose is 85% diet and 15% exercise and if you can do 30 minutes most days of the week your heading into the right direction ..

Good luck and keep us up dated this place really does help..
Natasha
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby Blitz » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:12 am

Fat 2 skinny wrote:Hi all
Iam 36yrs old and overweight. I need to rid my body of 30 kilos. It is so overwhelming to look at that number :? , I know I need to set mini goals and focus on them. But I'm finding it hard to be motivated and have the will power. So I have come here in hopes of finding some motivation.

Welcome to the Forum Fat 2 skinny! :D
Do you have a first name I can use?

Don't worry about that 30 kilo number. When you've lost it, you will look at it in a new light...indeed you will boast about overcoming it rather than feeling overwhelmed by it. Just figure it as the high watermark of your life and it marks the turning point of to a healthier lifestyle. 8)

Lucky I was largely ignorant about the amount of weight I had to lose.
When I worked out that I had to lose 87 kilos I did pause long enough to say to myself that it did seem a rather largish number! :shock: :lol: Fortunately it didn't click that I was actually asking to lose more than half what I weighed.
I just said to myself; "It is what it is...I put it on and now it is time to take it off".

You will be surprised by how quickly that number will be cut down.
I went from 153.7kg to 66.6kg in exactly 60 weeks.
I never during that time had a spectacular week and lost a huge amount.
My best week was a 3.4kg...but most weeks were far less than that.
My losses were moderate but consistent...and before I knew it I had lost 56% of my starting weight.
This will happen to you too if you stay the course.

Fat 2 skinny wrote:I want to be healthy and fit so that I can keep up with my 5yr old daughter. She wants me to be healthy, and so tired all the time.

That's a great reason.
My daughter was 9 years old before I had the courage to step up and be the parent I should have been.
I so relate to your comment about being so tired all the time. I was carrying around 87 kilos extra - no wonder I was feeling so tired! :roll:
But the beautiful thing is there is a better future ahead. I know from experience that it is so. :D
These days I run around with her and do things I would never have dreamed possible.
Indeed she sometimes finds it hard keeping up with me - and I'm 56! :lol:
When you lose those 30 kilos you will be literally bouncing around with energy and enthusiasm for life. 8)

Fat 2 skinny wrote:So if anyone can point me in the right direction to find some motivation, will power and the best place to start setting small goals that would be great. :D

Motivation: I recommend writing out a list of ALL the reasons why you want to lose weight. Include not only the big reasons (like your daughter for example) but also the most trivial ones (like wanting to fit and look good in jeans or being able to put your socks on without a struggle). After you've done that, write out ALL the reason why you want to remain obese. There are reasons...the current lifestyle must have a pay off otherwise you wouldn't have kept it up for so long. Now look at the two lists honestly. Meditate and think deeply about each list until you are sold on the idea that your current lifestyle isn't working and that you have to change it in order to achieve all the benefits that you want in your life.
You have to turn weight loss from a WISH into a WANT and then into a MUST.
These reasons (benefits) will be the bases of your motivation.

Will Power: Don't worry about will power. It is a human trait that blows hot and cold. Will power in the end will fail.
What you must cultivate is new character. When will power fails - character (who you are when no one is looking) prevails and persists.
This requires you to change your lifestyle. As your lifestyle changes so too does your character as you embrace those changes.

Best Place To Start: Where you can. No use trying to up turn your whole lifestyle in one swoop. You must find what works for you. That is why formal diets and programs have such a high failure rate. They are other people's lifestyle choices shoehorned into yours. Unless you own the lifestyle you lead then sooner or later you will fail. You have to make it your own. Start with little changes that you can cope with.
For example, in my case when I started exercising all I could manage was a ten minute walk before my bad back and asthma would do me in. As I got more fit, I would push myself a little harder. My adage was "push but don't break...listen to your body". Towards the end of my weight loss journey I built my fitness up to a point where I was running for an hour, swimming for an hour and riding my exercise bike for an hour and still be up for more!
With food I started with the simple idea of eating that since I was twice the size I should have been then I had best eat half as much as I did. As I journeyed along I made healthier choices as wisdom and taste took over. I never had a forbidden list of foods. My adage was "all things in moderation"...any unhealthy foods eaten meant I took responsibility for by eating less of othe things or doing extra exercise to make up for the extra calorie intake.

Fat 2 skinny wrote:Iam going to start keeping a food diary and find out how many calories I need to be eating to help rid my body of the excess weight. Im also going to dust of the nintendo wii and start playing the fitness games again, and dust of the aerobic step I have and find some videos to watch on step aerobics.

I really enjoy step aerobics and walking, so I may even start walking again, once my daughter to back at school, I might go for a walk instead of going home to do the house work. Her school is a 20 drive not possible to walk there we do park about 5mins down the road from the school as like a lot of schools there isn't much parent parking.

Thanks in advance.

All good ideas. I was never disciplined enough to keep a food diary. Mine lasted two whole days before I gave it up. :roll:
I did (and still do) however write what I weigh every day with maybe a word or two comments about special events (ie being ill or going out to a restaurant or failing to do my regular amount of exercise).
When losing weight I found it very instructive to help me understand how my body works and reacts to events.
Also I used it as a motivation to do better the next day.
My aim was always to have a lower number than the day before (sure many days it didn't happen but that was the driver).
Another thing is that it kept me accountable.
No day was fudged and my daughter and wife could always see what the number was (I kept the book open - and it lives near the phone).

If you want further inspiration - check out the before and after photos of me that Forum section...and say to yourself that could be you too.
And why not? If this guy, the wrong side of 50, with a belly hernia the size of his fist, with a bad back, chronic asthma, ingrown toe nails and no idea how to lose weight can do it (and keep it off for three years now) - then why not me?

Why not indeed? Use this Forum to the max. There is a lot of wisdom here.
But above all there is a lot of support here...for we here have travelled and are travelling a similar journey to your own.
You will always find encouragement and help on your way to that better future! :D

Grab that better future...it's there for the taking! 8)
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby Fat 2 skinny » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:50 pm

Hi.

Thank Natasha and Kim for the welcome and advice :D . My Name is Katrina.

Natasha, How do you count points? is that weight watchers?

I should take some before photos, I have a photo of myself when I was 21/22 that I would love to be like again.
I have made a motivation poster, that is stuck up in the kitchen. So I see it every time I go in there

Could you recommend some good scales, I have some that are just like my mum had when I was younger. cheap inaccurate ones.

Thanks again, and Im sure I'll be back with more questions. :D

Katrina
Fat 2 skinny

Postby tinkerbella » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:38 pm

Yes Katrina,
Weight watchers I find its the only way too go and find it works..
@ the beginning I was on 33 points a day and 49 weeklies,and now im on 29 points a day and 49 weeklies..i love the way weight watchers is...I can still eat and they look at it as its 85% diet and 15 % exercise and when I do exercise you can use them as extra points for extra food but I never ever count the exercise points for food I find that the daily plus weeklies are enough...
Getting too eat heaps and still dropping the weight is what I find works for me...

I love my bacon egg mushrooms tomatoes one slice of bread and a latte for my breakfast gets me started and gets me too lunch with out feeling hungry,i hate that feeling of being hungry and with ww I don't usually feel hungry in saying that today I haven't stopped eating but I get my new weeklies today and that just means I have too watch for the rest of the week..:-)
My husband and I go out every Saturday night for dinner and the weeklies help there also..as I love too have a dessert...

If you need too ask anything ask away im only too happy too help where I can..
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby tinkerbella » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:46 pm

Katrina,you saying you wish your could be the same as you were when you were 21/22,we will never be like we were when we were in our 20's,look at yourself and love yourself for today..love what you see today and be kind to yourself..
We all had different lives at 21/22,now we have kids that changes everything,they become number one...
We can only become the best we can be at the age you are now..

Ive always loved myself and that's one thing that keeps me going,more woman have too love themselves and be kind to themselves.Most of us arnt going too be the Cindy Crawford's or super models ..we have too be happy with how we are now and just try and do a little better each day..

Talk too us and we will help you as best we can....

We are here for you and rooting for you all the way...

Just keep telling yourself
"i can do it"...
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby Blitz » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:19 am

Hi Katrina :D

Buy some scales that are digital/electronic (battery). The spring ones of yesteryear just don't last or give out an accurate over time. Digital scales will give you a good clear reading. You don't have to buy one with the bells and whistles on it...just a good basic model will do the trick. A good rule of thumb is not buy the cheapest model but the next one up or the one up from that one. Most of the main brands will be good. I use the WeightWatchers brand and find that they have served me well.

You should be made aware that because this type of scale is ultra sensitive in it's readings one of two things could happen.

One; that each time you step on it you may get a different reading (only a few grams difference). That is because it is so sensitive that different positions on the scales read differently. My scales are like this. I overcome this problem by only recording the weight if it shows up three times in a row. Sometimes I only have to stand on it three times, most times it takes a few shots to get three consistent readings in a row and some days I'm like a kangaroo hopping on and off before I get my three in a row. :lol:

Two; some scales have added smart technology in them that dampens these sensitive variations. They retain a memory of the last weight and if it is within a tolerance of half a kilo or less it shows the last weight. This is fine for normal people but not so good for those of us who are on a mission to lose weight - where a gram or two can make all the difference to our moral. To circumvent this all you have to do is do a false reading by putting your foot on it so that it reads a weight dramatically less than your last reading. That will clear the memory so your reading will be new and true.

Take as many photos as you can. One of the great regrets I have is that I took very few photos of myself during the weight loss journey. I have all these fat and skinny photos of me but only one good transitional one. I was so proud of how I looked after losing 40 odd kilos worth that I posed in a family photo. At the time I and my family were really impressed by my thinness. I look at that photo now and can't believe how much more I still had to go. I wish I had taken daily photos of myself in the same pose so that I could put them all together and see the montage of me disappearing. Even today it staggers the imagination that somewhere during the journey of 60 weeks that more than half of me went missing! One day I was fat and then suddenly I was skinny...I still don't know when the line was crossed. With photo documentation perhaps the mind could grasp it.

Something else you should do that I didn't is to measure your body. I'm not just talking about chest, waist and hips...measure thighs, neck, upper arms and the like. Doing your journey there will be some weeks when the scales are showing nothing but your body will be transforming nevertheless. By taking measurements you will see your body toning, building muscle and changing in a way that scales can't capture.

Regards
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby CronicBadger » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:01 pm

Take as many photos as you can.

This is a good piece of advice. Record your progress in images and keep them on display.

As the months progress, stick the photos to your fridge to remind you of your weightloss mission whenever you absent-mindedly open the door for a snack! :-)
CronicBadger

Return to Introductions