It is currently Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:20 am

Free Newsletter

Take 2: Re-introducing myself

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Take 2: Re-introducing myself

Postby az81 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:14 pm

Hi everyone,

After a couple of setbacks where I fell into old habits (overeating, no exercise) I'm finally back on track in my weight loss.

My girlfriend bought me a Fitbit for my birthday this year (back in June) but I made the mistake of following it blindly, and I ended up eating the extra calories that I had burned.

Now, I'm more focused and on the ball with my figures - I know how many calories I can eat every day, and I record everything I eat. I also do enough exercise a day to burn off a minimum of 500 calories. Although I've only been at this new regime for just a week, I can already see a difference - a few articles of clothing are fitting better!

At the moment I'm sitting at 151kg, and my next weigh day is coming up on the 1st of September. Hopefully, I'll be posting on that day with a positive result!

I look forward to frequenting this forum to gain advice, insight, motivation, and support from you all, and hopefully I can provide it all back as well.

az81

TIME TO SHED THE KILO'S!

August 2015 weight - 151
Goal weight - 100
June 2016 weight - 96
az81

Re: Take 2: Re-introducing myself

Postby Blitz » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:29 am

We make many mistakes during this journey. There is no shame in that - so long as we learn from those experiences and move forward.
When I first started exercising for example; I thought thongs as footwear was a good idea.
It was only after developing some impressive blisters on my feet - forcing me to hobble along rather than walk as I exercised that the bright idea occurred to me that maybe buying some good walking shoes would be a sensible thing to do. :roll:

I think that your declared goal target isn't low enough.
I have no idea of your height/weight/censored so I can't calculate what a good target weight for you should be but nevertheless can't believe you are settling for 100kg when you could be going for 99kg and be in double digits rather than triple digits! :wink: :lol:

Why is you next weigh in day the 1st of September? Seems such a long way away.
I did my "official" weigh ins every week. Longing my achievements weekly kept me very motivated.
Even so, the truth of the matter is that I recorded my weight every day (and still do) also.
I found it very useful to keep close track of my weight as my body responds to different conditions (food, exercise, sleep, illness etc).
The notebook that I've recorded all my weigh ins has provided me with much insight.
It also has served up much inspiration and encouragement as I tote the results daily, weekly, monthly and yearly.

I'm excited for you! Before you is a better future that your wildest dreams couldn't imagine. When I started on the weight loss journey I had a hope of what the future had in store for me as a skinny person...but the reality far exceed that which I dared hoped for. That is why I'm always going on about a better future...you have no idea just how much better it is on the other side. It is only by experience that the reality of what I'm talking about will truly hit you. When the colour blind finally sees vivid colours for the first time. 8)

Wish you all success on achieving that better future! :D

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby az81 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:13 am

I guess it is a little high, but I find it's difficult to pinpoint a number at this stage.

For example, according to an online calculator, based on the 'healthy BMI recommendation,' my weight should be between approximately 69 kg and 93 kg. Being that I'm a 34 year old male with a solid build, standing 193 cm tall, I would look malnourished at 69 kg. The higher end of the scale would probably suit me best, and possibly even more - so, I'm shooting for 100 kg first, just because it's a nice round number, and once I've reached it, I can decide if I want to keep going.

As for my weigh day, I've decided to only do it once a month because I don't necessarily want a number to be the ultimate focus. How I look and feel is what I'm concerned about. Many years ago, I thought I was successfully losing weight, as I felt healthier and looked thinner. But, I got on the scale after a week and found no change. Therefore, I got depressed and fell back into bad habits. By weighing myself once a month, I know I'm going to see a difference when I hop on those scales. :D

TIME TO SHED THE KILO'S!

August 2015 weight - 151
Goal weight - 100
June 2016 weight - 96
az81

Postby Blitz » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:19 am

The latest research indicts that most traditional weight/height indication charts are too light in their calculations so adding a few kilos to them would be a good idea. Miller would have you at 78.6kg, Robinson at 82.2kg and Devine at 86.6kg.
When I set my weight goal target I used the healthy BMI range. Healthy BMI 18.5 - 25 range for you would be between 68.9kg and 93.3kg.
I set my goal weight at just above the half way mark.
However I didn't factor in the extra weight of the loose skin at the time (something that the charts understandable don't consider).
So once I reached goal I revised my maintenance weight slightly high to allow for the loose skin weight.
You are relatively younger than I was so maybe your skin will "bounce back" better than mine did.

My judgement is that 90kg is a good conservative weight for you to aim at.
Back yourself and just go for it!
But in the end...it is your decision - and your choice. 8)

Being that I'm a 34 year old male with a solid build, standing 193 cm tall, I would look malnourished at 69 kg.

You are "solid build" - but that is the whole point...that is what you are trying to change. :lol:
Overweight people are "solid built" and "big bones" (the body makes it bigger in order to support the extra load) not by nature but because of unhealthy lifestyles. 69kg is the lowest end of the scale...any less and you do start to travel into underweight and unhealthy territory.
At the moment your mind can't actually grasp the reality of what a normal sized you would look like.
If I was to show you a future picture of it you would reject that as being too skinny. You see, the mind is playing tricks with how you look like now. In your mind's eye you see yourself as "overweight but not too bad".
Towards the end of my weight loss journey, my wife pulled out some photos of me just before I started to lose weight.
My wife and myself were shocked by them. It seemed to us that someone had widen the pictures of me in Photoshop.
I knew I was big - but not that big! :shock: My mind had stopped looking at my fat self and started to see what real normal looked like.
This trick of the mind goes a long way to explain when I was big why I would misjudge my ability to squeeze between parked cars in car parks. :lol: Towards the end of my weight loss journey many of my friends became concerned about me losing too much weight.
They too had entered into the mind illusion and because many of them didn't see me daily, it took them a while for their minds to catch up with reality.
So you see looks can be very deceiving. Best to go with hard facts and numbers instead.

Kim
Blitz

Postby tinkerbella » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:10 pm

Diet is 70 % of getting your weight under control with 30% exercise,i believe you can lose weight only doing the diet but adding the exercise the weight will drop at a faster rate.
Take it day by day and never ever be hard on yourself when you go off the rails,as you will go off the rails.Pick yourself up the next day and try harder.
Its so interesting getting to goal and thinking its all over with,because its only just started yet again,we as food a holics will have too always watch what we eat and try too stay healthy,it doesn't finish till the day we die..
I cant say good luck because theres nothing good luck about it,its about working your way and looking at the scales and being less than what you were the week before...
Onward and downward...
Natasha
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby Blitz » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:50 am

70% diet...30% exercise - and may I add 100% getting the head in the right place for change!
I didn't say maths was my strong point did I? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kim
Blitz

Return to Introductions