It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:09 am

Free Newsletter

Hello All

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hello All

Postby gemi » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:13 pm

Hi All,

Thanks to the administrators for adding me to this forum, I'm hoping being able to share my ups & downs during my weightloss challenge will help me finally achieve the loss I want.
I've tried many times over the past few years to go it alone and constantly fail.

So Hello everyone :D here is a little a out me.
I'm in my early 50's and had never struggled with my weight until I hurt my back 5 years ago resulting in back surgery. Since then I have had several other health issues including a bad hip & shoulder.
So i now suffer chronic pain, I'm limited to what I can do as far as excercise to burn off the excess calories. A gentle walk is about my limit.

Medications that cause weight gain don't help my situation.

So here I am, my weight is 83.50 kg and My goal is to return to my pre injury weight of 70kg.
It doesn't sound like a massive loss I am wanting to achieve, but it seems so impossible to me at the moment. I need to get this excess weight off not only to feel better about myself, but for my injured joints. Lately everything hurts so much more, I can feel the extra burden on my hip and back.

So here I go ...... I really, really need to make this work this time!!

Thanks for reading and welcoming me to your group.
I hope I can be of some help and support to others along the way too :D :D
gemi

Re: Hello All

Postby Blitz » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:55 am

Hi gemi (do you have a first name that I can use?)

Welcome to the Forum. Thanks for posting a little about yourself. 8)

You will find the Forum a very useful place to find accountability, advice and encouragement on your journey to a better future.

Reading your post made me very excited for you.
Two things you shared echoed my start on the weight loss journey - and I'm excited because I know that success for you too will bring you a lifestyle that is so much better than you can imagine today.

When I started on my journey I was one month shy of my 52nd birthday. So age is no barrier for success.
I'm in my 56th year now and can honestly tell you that I'm 100% more fit and energetic than I was at 21.

So i now suffer chronic pain, I'm limited to what I can do as far as excercise to burn off the excess calories. A gentle walk is about my limit.

I can so relate to what you wrote above. When I started out all I could manage was a ten minute walk before my back would give out.
I also had chronic asthma and a belly hernia the size of my fist.
So you can appreciate that rigorous exercise at the start of my journey wasn't going to be on the cards.
The good news is that with increased fitness and reduced weight I was able to increase my exercise over time.
Towards the end of my weight loss journey I was running (yes running - not walking!) for an hour, swimming laps continuously for an hour and riding an exercise bike hard tack for an hour...and still be up for more! :shock: :lol:
My bold prediction is that this can happen to you too! 8)

The secret is to keep pushing yourself forwards (but not too hard that you break yourself) and listen to your body.
In my case, the belly hernia particularly prevented me doing anything too hard with my body so much of my exercise was leg based.
The walking was gentle on my body - the running took a long time to be introduced into my regime.
Every day I would either increase the distance a little or go a little faster.
The swimming was very supportive of my belly hernia, my back and was very helpful with improving my asthma.
Never did the overarm stroke as this was too risky for my hernia. Did the breaststroke, did the breaststroke without using my legs, did frog kicks only while using a noodle as a kick-board. At the beginning when I couldn't swimming any more laps I would walk laps in the pool pushing as hard as I could against the water.
The exercise bike built up my legs and I could work very hard without fear of doing damage to my hernia.
As it got easier then I would increase the workout levels and the length of time on the bike.

You will be surprised by how many of your current medical problems will either disappear or became so much better once you have got fit and slim.

Looking forward to following your journey to that better future! :D

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby gemi » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:02 pm

Hi Kim,
Thank you for the reply :D Your encouragement & advice is greatly appreciated.
Wow ! You have done amazing !! What determination you must have.

Thanks again, sorry for quick reply.

All the best ! :D :)
gemi

Postby Blitz » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:43 am

I do hope that you enjoy and actively use this Forum. :D
It really is useful for those on the weight loss journey.
I only wish I had discovered it when I was losing weight...
it would have made it so much easier - and quicker!

What determination you must have.

No more determination (or will power for that matter) than any one else.
All that is required by anyone to succeed is be convinced for the need to change
and the honesty of character to follow through in that belief.
One of my main ideas for successful weight loss is the adage:
Get the space between the ears right and all the rest will follow.

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby tinkerbella » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:01 am

Hello and welcome,
Track everything you eat.,...
Good luck and its all about the head space !!

You can do it...
Ive got too my weight watchers goal weight which is my goal weight and its still going too be something im going too have too try and control everyday..
I believe its all about tracking and being kind too yourself,we will have bad days but its all about getting up the next morning and not making one bad day turn into two...
Good luck with today and I hope tomorrow is better..

Natasha
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Return to Introductions