It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:18 am

Free Newsletter

New to the forum

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

New to the forum

Postby simmobrisbane » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:50 pm

Hi All,

Thanks to the admin for allowing me onto the forum.

My name is Simmo 43, I'm from Brisbane and started my journey in 2012 when i peaked at around 130 kg's and after seeing some Christmas Photo's was sparked into action. At that time i was eating very unhealthily, i drank probably more than i should have which on most occasions i'd stick to weekends, i couldn't run 200yards and was just feeling very unhealthy and lethargic all the time. I certainly had no go in me.

Cut a long story short i'm just about getting to the maintenance stage of my journey some 45 Kg's down later, feel amazing, energised i'm sleeping well and running 10k in less than an hour with ease.

The journey has been a hard one with plenty of good support from family and friends, it's had it's up's and downs and at times been very difficult to keep my discipline, what i have learned though is anything is possible if you want it enough.

I've got plenty of stories to share if anyone is interested and would also love to hear other peoples stories.

Looking forward to helping/motivating forum members at various stages of their journey and learning more about the journey i've already embarked on myself.
simmobrisbane

Re: New to the forum

Postby Blitz » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:33 am

Welcome aboard Simmo - and congratulations on your achievements so far! 8)

i couldn't run 200yards and was just feeling very unhealthy and lethargic all the time. I certainly had no go in me.

I can relate to all that...before I decided to lose weight I thought I would test my fitness level.
So I ran as fast as I could to see how far I could go.
I didn't make 200 yards either - actually I only managed eight steps before my legs gave out from under me due to lack of oxygen! :roll: :lol:

i'm just about getting to the maintenance stage of my journey some 45 Kg's down later

How much more do you need to lose to achieve goal?
Those last few kilos can be real tough to kiss off...I know - been there - bought the tee shirt!

You might want to check out the maintenance section of this Forum.
I've written and continue to write a series of posts (Maintenance 101) highlighting some of the things that I've found important for continued success.
Some of it may be useful for you as you enter this part of your journey.
There is a stack of advice about losing weight but precious little about what to do to maintain that lost.

I've got plenty of stories to share if anyone is interested and would also love to hear other peoples stories.

Why not post some before and after photos of yourself? They say a picture is worth a thousand words.
I find photos very inspirational which is why I've posted some of myself to inspire others as well.
Love to see the results of the work that you put in - and I'm sure others would as well.

Looking forward to helping/motivating forum members at various stages of their journey and learning more about the journey i've already embarked on myself.

That is what this Forum is all about! 8)
Iron sharpening iron...those who know this journey from the inside helping others over the tough places and celebrating the victories as they journey towards that better future that awaits them! :D

Looking forward to your contributions and wisdom. 8)

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby simmobrisbane » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:40 pm

Hi Kim,

I'll definitely check out the maintenance forum as that is exactly where i am in my journey. I've just about reached my ultimate goal weight ( a weight that i never ever thought i'd reach at the beginning) I've gone from buying xxl and even xxxl t-shirts to size medium.

As you would know yourself the feeling that gives you is unbelievable, I agree with what you say and found the last 10 - 15 kilo's were the hardest to shake off, there was plateaus, weight gains and struggles hungerwise which of course you have to overcome but looking back i think it was just simply all part of the journey. I don't think anybody has ever just dropped the weight from beginning to end without the obstacles.

Moving on i now face a new challenge and that will be keeping to the weight i am, of course i will have to play around with what i eat until i find the right formula , fortunately i've found a new hobby whilst losing my weight and that is running and exercise. I'm now walking/running 12k a day and doing plenty of bodyweight exercises etc.

One of the biggest things I learned along the way is not always to rely on the scales, i took all my measurements prior to my journey starting, and there was quite a number of times I saw no losses on the scales but actually saw very good cm losses from my measurements and i think that is a very important point to get across.

I've got plenty of before and after photo's which i'll dig out and upload very soon, if it can help to motivate and inspire just one person then i'll be a happy man :D

Thanks for the welcome and reply :)
simmobrisbane

Postby Blitz » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:29 am

simmobrisbane wrote: I've gone from buying xxl and even xxxl t-shirts to size medium.

I went from XXXL to size small...sometimes the shop doesn't have a small and I get a medium but feel cheated. I want the tight fitting look - I did the baggy look when I was fat...now I want to show off! :wink: :lol:

simmobrisbane wrote:As you would know yourself the feeling that gives you is unbelievable, I agree with what you say and found the last 10 - 15 kilo's were the hardest to shake off, there was plateaus, weight gains and struggles hungerwise which of course you have to overcome but looking back i think it was just simply all part of the journey. I don't think anybody has ever just dropped the weight from beginning to end without the obstacles.

I call the last bit of the journey "the pointy end" because it is the hardest. The last 5 kilos or so just seemed to take forever. It took me exactly 14 months (60 weeks) to lose the 87 kilos. My monthly losses break down to: 9.2kg; 7.9kg; 10kg; 10.2kg; 7.3kg; 6.3kg; 7.6kg; 5.9kg; 5.5kg; 4.7kg; 4.5kg; 3.7kg; 2.1kg and 2.2kg. As you can see those last two or so numbers weren't nothing to write home about.

simmobrisbane wrote:Moving on i now face a new challenge and that will be keeping to the weight i am, of course i will have to play around with what i eat until i find the right formula , fortunately i've found a new hobby whilst losing my weight and that is running and exercise. I'm now walking/running 12k a day and doing plenty of bodyweight exercises etc.

The experience gained in your weight loss phase will hold in in good stead for your maintenance. You will quickly find what you can eat to maintain yourself in your lifestyle. I certainly know the glories of running and the like too. Hard to believe that I went from someone who struggled to walk 10 minutes to a person who exercises for hours and actually enjoys the experience! :lol:
I envy your bodyweight exercises. I would have dearly liked to have done that but my belly hernia prevented that. Once I lost the weight and had my belly hernia repaired it took me years to recover strength in my belly. Even these days I'm a little fearful about exerting it too much. If only I could have done it while losing weight - it would have saved me so much time!

simmobrisbane wrote:One of the biggest things I learned along the way is not always to rely on the scales, i took all my measurements prior to my journey starting, and there was quite a number of times I saw no losses on the scales but actually saw very good cm losses from my measurements and i think that is a very important point to get across.

That's the one thing I regretted not doing. I really wish that I had taken measurements as well as weighing myself.
Unfortunately I was so ignorant about weight loss that the idea didn't even occur to me.
But I did have a belt that seemed to have to have new holes to be put in it every two weeks or so until it was so big on me that it nearly went around me twice. Highly recommend for anyone losing weight to do as you have done. 8)

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Return to Introductions