It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:51 pm

Free Newsletter

Lots of weight to lose

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Lots of weight to lose

Postby mary_in_adelaide » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:01 pm

Hi all

I haven't actually weighed myself (I don't own a scale) but I don't need a scale to tell me I've got a LOT of weight to lose. For now I'm going to use waist, hip and other measurements to set my goals and measure my success.

I turn 40 later this year and while I don't expect to be at a goal weight by then I do plan to have myself under some kind of control by then.

I managed to quit smoking nearly 18 months ago (something I didn't think I would be able to do after nearly 20 years as quite a heavy smoker) and now it is time for me to get my weight under control. I've had nearly 20 years overweight too. I used an online forum to help with quitting smoking and I hope to repeat the success by using and online forum to help with this too.

I've read some of the posts here and everyone seems really supportive and helpful...I hope to make use of that support as well as help some other people too (down the track when I have something to offer).

I'll probably be pretty quiet for a while but I wanted to introduce myself and to state (somewhat publicly) that I am starting today to get my s*** together as far as eating, exercising and losing weight goes.
Cheers, Mary

If I could find a ticker for measurements it would say I'm on the way from a waist measurement of 134cm to one of 70cm (currently at 129cm)

Postby BubblyMac » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:39 pm

Hiya Mary,

Welcome to the Forum!

I wish you all the very best success for your weight loss journey!! :) :D :wink:

Congrats to your stopping smoking! I hope you continue with the no smoking, as i'm sure you'll feel a lot better without them. I've never smoked so I don't know what it's like but my finacee use to be a smoker and then he quit to save money for his contiki trip overseas and hasn't smoked for the past 5 years. He couldn't touch a smoke ever again.

YOU CAN DO IT and we are all here to help you out!! Just remember to drink lots of water, eat really good food throughout the day to help you stop snacking/being bad and exercise each day, even if it's walking the dog for 20 mins or around the block.

Good luck to you!! :wink: :D :D

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:45 pm

Hi Mary! :)

Welcome to the forums! Hope you enjoy your stay, I'm sure you will because we're a very friendly bunch!

Are you going to get yourself a set of scales so you can see how much you have to lose? Measurements are a great idea, because as you know sometimes things don't change on the scales!

Congrats on quitting smoking, that's a huge effort!

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:54 pm

hi mary
you join in when and where you feel like it mary :) no pressure here. feel free to join in the challenges and discussions. measuring is a good way to see how you are going in terms of weightloss :) so never mind not having scales. when you feel ready to stand on scales it will be the right time. no pressure remember :) best wishes and well done for giving up smoking :)

Postby mary_in_adelaide » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:28 pm

Thanks for the friendly welcome everyone

I can't count the number of times I've gone on a diet that's worked for a moment or two. This time feels quite different though...this time it's about making big changes to my lifestyle...eating the right food, doing some exercise, not eating because I'm bored or depressed etc.

I'll get a scale soon :D
Cheers, Mary

If I could find a ticker for measurements it would say I'm on the way from a waist measurement of 134cm to one of 70cm (currently at 129cm)

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:32 pm

hi mary
i know myself and Kim (one of our maintenance girls) have described that feeling when one day something clicks and you know you are going to do it this time around! dont think of it as a diet think of it more like a change to your lifestyle. you will get there :)

Postby Pepper » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:39 am

Hello and welcome Mary! :)

First off, CONGRATULATIONS on quitting the ciggies! :wink: That in itself is a huge achievement. As a reformed smoker myself I know that you will feel better for it.

As for th weight, we're all here for you Mary. There is a great deal of support and inspiration on this board, and I think you will do just fine; we all will. :)

Just remember, one day at a time!! :wink:
Strong people don't walk away from the truth, only the excuses others try to sell them.

Postby Ally » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:01 am

Hi Mary and welcome to the forum!! Well done on giving up smoking! I bet you feel better for it!

I too know the feeling of "something being different this time". I yo-yo for years and then the light switch was turned on one day! It is a truly great feeling for you know that no matter how long it takes you to get WILL get there!

I agree with Kate, you will get on the scales when the time is right for you!! Measuring is great way to record your success!!

I wish you all the Mary and you join in when you would like to!! It is lovely to have you onboard!

Postby Jisgone » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:46 am

my dad came for a walk with me last night - and couldnt keep up mind u hehe (that made me feel so fit and awesome!)
but he asked what my light switch moment was, and im not entirely sure as youve all said it just clicked and i havent stopped since! i think i had a bit of a light switch moment yesterday, i have a new sense of determination and i know im going to hit that 20 kilo mark and keep powering on! i know im going to achieve all my goals and i wont accept any less! im a woman on a mission :P

Postby Flame » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:50 am

Go hard mary!!!!! you can do it babe!

Great to see another south aussie here too!

101 here i come!!!!Image

Postby KimE » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:04 pm

Hello Mary and welcome to the forum.

Well done on quitting the smokes that is a big thing in itself.
You're right it is a lifestyle change not just a diet if you want the changes to be permanent so it sounds like you have a good attitude.

Join in wherever you are comfortable or whenever you want.

All the best on your weightloss journey.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:54 pm

Hi Mary and welcome! You've done it once with the cigarettes, battling against nicotine and all that yuck. I'm sure that with the right determination and a bit of a push in the right direction and some determination you'll do it with the weight too!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby chunky monkey » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:31 am

Hi Mary,

Welcome to the forum. Everyone is very friendly here and the advice I read from other posts has been quite helpful.

I too turn 40 later this year ( August) and have heaps to lose. So I kinda know where you are coming from.

Don't hesitate to ask if you need any help we are all here for you,

Best wishes on your journey,

chunky monkey

Return to Introductions