It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:51 am

Free Newsletter

Yet Another Newbie

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Yet Another Newbie

Postby Gaia_Girl » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:02 pm

WOW! Yet another newbie here ...

I'm a 37yo female who has had a weight problem all my life. I currently have about 60kgs to lose which seems incredibly daunting.

However, I have no negativity about my body image, just don't have a clue where to start on my journey to reducing my beautiful body. I have tried everything and have spent thousands of dollars. The one thing I haven't tried (before opting for surgery) is a support network. Perhaps this is where I have been going wrong?

I am looking forward to exploring this website and meeting wonderful people who are all on the same journey of losing weight and getting fit and healthy
"Magick Happens"

Postby Lolly » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:07 pm

Hey Girl we are the same age - that Naughty Forty is getting too close for comfort lol

The support here is excellent - for bad days and accomplishments. Come here and vent, record, get tips etc anytime you want, so much help here that you can't go wrong :D

Have you got support at home too? I find the interest from my family is helping me along a little too.

Oh and Welcome :D
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

Postby SarahC » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:08 pm

Hi Gaia Girl, welcome to the forum :D

How great that you are so positive about your body! I'm sure you will find what you need on this site... everyone is so supportive. Best of luck :)

Postby Gaia_Girl » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:41 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome Lolly and SarahC.

I have very supportive girlfriends at work now which has been great. My family live interstate but my sister is the one who told me about this site as she is on her own weight-loss journey.

From the posts I have read on here already everyone seems so lovely and friendly. Makes finding support a lot easier.

Thanks again
"Magick Happens"

Postby Kyles » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:20 pm

Hi Gaia_Girl,

Glad you can join us...all the best with your weightloss journey.

You will save thousands of dollars here...least you dont have to pay to weigh-in and get support.
Kylie : )

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:23 pm

hi there gaia girl
whose your sister?!!! glad to have you here. glad to hear you love your body :) i dont think ill ever be at the stage where i love my body! you will find lots of support here and never mind how much you have to lose - take one step at a time :) best wishes

Postby corolla_chick » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:58 pm

welcome welcome welcome
:D :D :D
beck :D

Postby Dee » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:07 pm

Hey there gaia girl.

Don't stress too much about how much you have to lose - I've got at least 60kgs to lose too, but am focusing for the moment on just getting back down to double figures.. That way it's not so overwhelming.

This how exciting it would be just to realise you've lost 10kgs, then 15, 20, etc.

If you're looking for a bit of extra motivation, make sure you check out the 1000 reasons to lose weight post.

Postby slimmindown » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:22 pm

Hi there gaia girl welcome aboard glad to see you are trying the forum for support, you wont regret it, it is fantastic and the guys here are inspirational and have some great advice. look forward to seing your progress 8)
[no excuses, I can do it!

Postby Simmy » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:42 pm

Thought I would add my welcome as well. I feel a bit strange welcoming people when Ive only been a member 1 1/2wks. But I can truly say this community is fantastic. I have already received so much support. Reading through other people's posts as well has helped. I will often think "OMG I feel just like that"! Anyway, welcome!

Postby Ally » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:53 am

Hi Gaia Girl and welcome to the forum!!

If losing 60kg seems too daunting, cut it down into 10kg or even 5kg lots...this will make it go a lot quicker than looking at the overall picture! You will get there!

Postby tiffanyp » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:00 am

Hi Gaia_Girl,
Try not to think of having to lose weight. Just tell your inner self that you are making lifestyle changes. The moment we tell ourselves that we are forbidding ourselves something, we want it even more, hence that is why we always fall off the wagon!

If we train our thoughts to think that what we are doing is small... we dont get so hung up on it and we dont start thinking that we are missing out on anything. Does that make sense...??

Anyway, welcome to this wonderful website. You have some great support here and remember the 30's are the new 20's and when we hit 40 (I too am 37) they will be the new 30's!!!

Tiffany :D

Postby KimE » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:43 pm

Hello Gaia_girl and welcome to the forum.

You don't have to spend a lot to lose weight. Walking is free excepting if you want a good pair of walking trainers and I have found eating healthy is a lot cheaper than not eating well. Start out slowly by cleaning up your eating habits, stopping any junk food, limiting sweets and chocolate and get moving every day, 10 minutes here and there and slowly build it up as you get used to it. Unfortunately, losing weight in a way that changes your habits and attitudes takes effort and time but is well worth every minute for the result. Sing out if you need any help, we are here to support and help you as much as we can.

I wish you every success on your weightloss journey. Blessed be. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Postby BubblyMac » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:01 pm

Hiya Gaia_Girl - Welcome to the forum!! :) :D

I hear ya - i'm trying to lose the same amount of weight as well. But you have definatley come to the right place. We can do it! :) :wink:

I have been o/weight most of my life too and from the age of about 13yo, I went to a dietician, then Weight Watchers, Gloria Marshall, back to WW, Jenny Craig, WW, Lite n Easy, WW, Gloria Marshall again, WW a few more times and last year WW again and later last year I tried LA Weight loss. Then before x'mas even thinking about trying the lapband surgery as a last resort. But after reading posts about lap band surgeries and the successes and failures of it, I decided not too. I've finally realised none of them have ever worked before because i wasn't in the right mind set, not enough determination to lose it.

But this year i've found my determination - getting married, honeymooning in Tahiti and America and then wanting kids. Plus I don't want to live the rest of my life so uncomfortable and in pain anymore.

Do you have anything to keep you determined through your weight loss journey?? If not, try and buy a smaller outfit you like in a smaller size shop (i've got a size 14 top and skirt hanging up in my room, which I look at each day, hoping to wear it soon) as that can also help.

Good Luck and look forward in getting to know you and your weight loss journey. :) :D

Larrissa :)

Postby Gaia_Girl » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:03 pm

Thank you so much to all of you and your awesome support and advice. Seeing the support you have all offered has cemented my determination and has made me realise that this time I am actually going to achieve my goals.

This is totally awesome!
"Magick Happens"

Return to Introductions