It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:37 pm

Free Newsletter

Gday

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Gday

Postby bundy89 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:35 pm

Hi, im 17 year old male from Adelaide, Australia. I currently weigh about 100kg, and used to weigh 112.5kg. Im 6'0 tall, maybe closer to 6'1 these days. I know I still have alot of weight to loose and thought I would browse the net to see what help is available. The weight I have lost so far has come off very slowly as I have lost inspiration a few times. Id like to get to around 80kg, I think thats about what I should be?

I think my main problem at the moment is my diet, I don't eat alot, but the food I do eat is quite often pretty unhealthy. If anyone could please give me some good tips to loosing weight (how often I should exercise and for how long, foods I should avoid etc.) would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers.
bundy89

Postby BubblyMac » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:44 pm

Hiya Bundy! :) Welcome to the forum!! :D

I wish you lots of success with your weight loss journey! :D

I"m just starting out also with my weight loss but some of the tips I can give you, that are working for me are:

Drink at least 2L of water, eat more veggies and fruit, less carbs-but dont' completley cut it out if you like your carbs. You can still have some of the things you love that are bad but in smaller portions and in moderation. Like 1-2 pieces of thin pizza with salad or 2-4 little squares of chocolate if you are a chocoholic (like I am).

And exercise as much as you can to start off with, even if it's 20 mins a day then each week buid it up 5 or 10 mins so eventually you will exercise for an hour or more, however long you are comfortable working out for.

I use to go to the gym for 2 hours each night, then over x'mas stopped, gained weight/stopped exercising so now unfit again but I started doing 30mins but i'm not about to start an hour workout again.

I'm sure you'll have Lots of help and lots more tips from all the fantastic people here! :)

Good Luck!! :) :wink:

Cya
Larrissa :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wksPHQO/]
[/url]
BubblyMac

Postby bundy89 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:32 pm

Thanks alot for the tips :D Could you please explain to me what drinking 2litres of water a day does for weight loss? Or do you just mean instead of drinking 2litres of another drink?

:)
bundy89

Postby BubblyMac » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:38 pm

Hey Bundy,

Here's an article I found about why drinking water helps, so hope it helps you out.

"Drinking water is an essential aid to the weight loss process. Drinking water to lose weight works by flushing your system of built-up toxins and curving hunger pangs. Your body requires eight, 8-ounce glasses of clean, pure drinking water each day. Drinking water facilitates weight loss and helps you stay healthy and regular, even when you are on a diet. If your drinking water does not taste good to you, add a slice of lemon to each glassful. Remember that drinking eight 8-ounce glasses of drinking water each day is as important to weight maintenance as it is to weight loss. Don't make the mistake of thinking that by cutting back on water intake, you will prevent water retention. The opposite effect will take place. By drinking more water your kidneys will be stimulated, helping to reduce water retention; and, in the process, your body will burn some more calories. Drinking water to lose weight is the only way beverages will aid in the weight loss process. In other words, drinking diet drinks will not aid in the weight loss process. Not only do diet drinks contain caffeine and calories, their artificial sweetness can turn on your appetite without satisfying it, possibly leading you to overeat at other times."

You can drink other drinks as well on top of your 2L of water.

I use to easily drink 2L or more of Pepsi Max a day and no water and lots of bad food. But i've found now, drinking at least 2L of water and the right food, I dont' tend ot feel the need to eat bad food, I'm fuller for most times during the day and if I get a craving, I guzzle down a big glass of water which fills me up and I feel full, I forget about the bad food. And I know only drink about a glass of Pepsi Max a day, sometimes 2 but not as much as I use to drink.

Hope this helps you out!

Cya
Larrissa :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wksPHQO/]
[/url]
BubblyMac

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:00 am

hi there bundy welcome to the site.

im a broken record when it comes to water apparently! but i strongly reocmmend at least 2litres of water a day. if you dont drink enough water then your body will hold onto the fluid it does have. best wishes
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:27 am

HI Bundy and welcome to the forum.......As you will discover we all have different ways of losing weight here, so opinions will vary...including mine!! LOL

I am not a fan of low-carb diets, and remembering that you are a male and males get to eat more than us females for weight loss here is a general guide from the program I use....this is for men.

Protein: 4-5 servings
Carbs: 6-7 servings
Fruit: 3 servings
Dairy: 4 servings

250 Calories as optional indulgences

Now this is only a guide and it may probably confuse you a bit more, but just Private Message me if you want to know more about serving sizes etc!!

As for exercise it is recommended that 30minutes per day is the key to weight loss, but this can vary depending on how much you already do...if you are a first timer then you will need to build up to 30 minutes....a lot of people do more depending where they are at, so it is a personal thing really. I wish you all the best and feel free to look around the forum and don't be put off to ask questions.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby SarahC » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:59 am

Hi Bundy, welcome to the forum :D

Here's a couple of articles that have been posted on this site regarding drinking water (if you haven't read them already lol):
http://www.weightloss.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2757
http://www.weightloss.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2799

Try changing to foods you eat to more healthy foods, with heaps of fresh fruit and veggies. Also having smaller more frequent meals can help as it keeps your metabolism going. A male friend of mine has done these two things and he is shedding the weight like anything! And, he barely excercises either :?

Keeping a food diary might be helpful, as you can then see exactly what you are eating and identify areas for improvement. Becoming aware of your calorie requirements and the calories you have eaten could also help. Just get a calorie counter book, or some people find the Calorie King software to be helpful as well.

Regarding excercise, I reckon just do as much as you can, depending on your fitness level. Every little bit counts :D
SarahC

Postby Dolly » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:18 pm

Hi Bundy,
Nobody really knows why but I think we've all found out that if you just drink your fluids beer, wine, tea, coffee, soda's you will lose weight on some days and some days you will just stay the same and occasionally gain weight, but for some strange reason if you drink your 8 x 8oz glasses of water your weight drops off quicker (you can still drink the other stuff too)
Click Here Image Image
Dolly

Postby hushpuppy » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:24 pm

Welcome bundy
Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby KimE » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:43 pm

Hello Bundy and welcome to the forum.

Great to have you aboard. Check out the :arrow: home page there really is a great deal of information on exercise, types of routines for both weights and cardio, recipes, tips and tools to help set goals.

Maybe start with trying to clean up your diet, cutting back on the junk food or if you with your mates, try to get the healthiest option of what you are eating. Anything deep fried isn't going to help. This you can have no occasion but don't let it be your staple food.

As others have said tune your taste buds to water it is great for your body and for weight loss.

For exercise, if you are doing no exercise even doing 10 mins walking is better than nothing. Build it up slowly increasing your time until you get to about 30 mins or whatever you prefer. Then build on the speed so do the same time but do it faster. Ultimately you want to get your heart rate up but build to this, don't just jump in or you could do yourself an injury. Starting some sort of sport could be good too.

I wish you alll the best on your weightloss journey, let us know how you go. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:21 pm

Hi Bundy!

Welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy your stay :)
I'd say that probably the easiest way for you to tackle the eating healthily thing is to first introduce more fruit, veges, wholegrain cereals and breads and lean meats into your diet. It's obvious that junk food like Macca's and KFC have to go - no way around that unfortunately!
If you want a treat, have one! But don't have a whole block of chocolate!! As someone said, have a square or two just to satisfy the craving!

Exercise is just as important as the diet. Do you have a mountain bike? Why not jump on that and go for a ride? You can gradually increase your time and start slow.

I'm a personal trainer so if you have any questions just PM me :)

Ta
Emma
zeedeveelgirl

Postby bundy89 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:59 pm

Thanks alot for the kind welcome and great advice everyone, its really appreciated :D

I have some changes to make and hopefully I can without too much trouble. Yeah I ride quite a bit, on both real bike in the hills on tracks, and exercise bike. I also play court volleyball and rugby for clubs. Emma I added you to msn, hope you dont mind, noticed your from Adelaide.

Cheers :)
bundy89

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:58 am

hey bundy being involved in organised sport is wonderful. i love playing volleyball too :)
kate_turner2000

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:41 am

Not a problem, Bundy! I thought that was you, I'll talk to you on there sometime :)

Em
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Fairie » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:26 am

Welcome to another South Aussie Bundy89 :D

All the best with your weightloss journy.
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Next

Return to Introductions