It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:07 am

Free Newsletter

new to the board

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

new to the board

Postby kidz05 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:56 pm

hello everyone
my name is rachel and i am new here. i have struggled with my weight all my life and now i am seeing my children go through the same struggle. i have a wonderful husband who just loves me so much but i don't love myself and sometimes i can be really cold to him. why he is still here is beyond me. i have contemplated the gastric bypass surgery but always chicken out because i am scared. right now i am dealing with being unemployed and that too is stressful enough but for the past 2 weeks my children and i a have been trying to eat healthy. i have changed our bread to whole wheat, our milk to low fat, more fruits and veggies are now our staples, brown rice instead of white, and most important portion control. they are doing wonderful and i am very proud of myself as well. although i cannot exercise right now because i suffer from bad knees and get winded easily i am looking forward to the day when i can get out there and walk even if its just a little bit. thank for allowing me to come into your community and i hope that i can find support here for i know without it i don't have a chance.
kidz05

Postby tiffanyp » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:01 pm

Hey Kidz05!
You sound so down!
Dont be. You have already made some brilliant steps to a better, healthier lifestyle for both you and your wonderful kids.
Long term weight loss is a slow process. It is a learning process, you have to set up the perimeters and continue to check yourself and your actions. We are all guilty of overindulgence and we have all gone through self hate.

But you have a wonderful husband and lovely kids, you can do this, and by gosh if you keep in touch with the fantastic mentors that this website has, you will be reaching some of your goals in no time.

Set yourself up a ticker so you can start to see your progress. Weigh yourself, do the tape measure thing and write down what you eat, how much and how you feel when you eat it, or grab one of the food diaries on this site.

I have also started cooking using the recipes from this site. They are easy inexpensive and very very yummy!

Good luck on your journey, and welcome to the forum!

Tiffany :D
tiffanyp

Postby grugwashere » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:03 pm

welcome to the forum, i think its great they you are teaching your children good habits! Have you ever tried swimming for your knees or water aerobics? i too have bad knees and ankles and i know it sucks.. i have always wanted to do running as my mode of excercise but my egs just cant hack it. :( i wish you good luck and i hope you are succesful in your journey! and again conratulations with all the changes you have made in your lifwe so far !!!!
SW:91kg
CW:75kg
GW: Somwhere in the 60's for now

Next mini goal:73kg
grugwashere

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:53 pm

hi rachel welcome. it sound slike you are making some great decisions now and some healthy choices for your kids. best wishes
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:22 pm

Hello Rachel and welcome to the forum.

The effort you are already putting in is a great start and good for your family as well. You will find plenty of support here and feel free to join in wherever you are comfortable.

I wish you every success on your weightloss journey. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby BubblyMac » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:47 pm

Hi Rachel - Welcome to the forum!! :) :D

I wish you every bit of success for your weight loss journey and i'm sure you will succeed. :wink:

The girls on here are so fantastic and wonderfully supportive for everyone, as everyone has their own story but we all have the same problems, which is great to know it's not just ourself that is alone with the problem.

Stay happy and Be Positive!! :wink: :D :D

Cya
Larrissa :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wksPHQO/]
[/url]
BubblyMac

Postby hushpuppy » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:44 pm

Hi rachel and welcome to the forums
Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby Ed » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:31 am

Hi Rachel,

welcome to the weight loss forum!

There's some great advice in the replys you've already received, particularly the one about trying swimming.

It's very easy and understandable to think we can't exercise at all when we have an injury or suffer pain in some way, which I know from personal experience.

The trick is to find something you can do.

If you can't walk, cycle (which by the way is good for building the muscles around the knees). If you can't cycle swim. If you can't swim, do weights, or pilates, or yoga.

Also try to improve the situation with your injury, such as trying knee braces, getting physio or massage.

Losing weight doing other exercise (like swimming or cycling) may also help take pressure off your knees so that in time you can incorporate walking and maybe even jogging into your routine.

The most important thing is to not let anything stand in your way of making at least some progress.

Keep looking for ways around problems and you will find solutions.

Good luck with your weight loss and we all look forward to tracking your successes along the way.

Ed. :D
Ed

Postby Pepper » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:33 am

[center]Image
RACHEL[/center]

Congratulations for taking the first (REAL) step, not always an easy one, but certainly a fantastic start. You've acknowledged there's a problem, and are planning to make a change; WAY TO GO!!! :wink:

Don't worry, you're not alone in your limitations, weight can slow down anyone and if you have bad knees (as I know only to well myself) walking a few minutes can really be painful. Not to mention breaking out into an embarrassing sweat each time; NOW THAT'S what I call super unfit!!! :oops: :cry:

BUT.....I'm working on it, and bit by bit, things are starting to get better. I'm still a long lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng way off, but I know I'll get there, AND YOU CAN TOO. And the fact that you've taken the first step, is proof you want to go ALL THE WAY.

Know there are some wonderful people here, full of support and inspiration to get us both over the line and beyond.

I look forward to learning more about you, and together we can do this!!! :D Stay focussed, stay happy and above all, stay with us, we'll be here for you, I promise. :wink:
[center]Image[/center]
Strong people don't walk away from the truth, only the excuses others try to sell them.
Pepper

Postby Fairie » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:31 am

WOW Rachel I feel like I have just been reading about myself (minus 4 kids though :wink: ) How did you know what is in my mind. :shock:

You are not alone and you have found the best place to come too for support the people here are great. :D
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby corolla_chick » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:10 pm

welcome to the forum :D
beck :D

corolla_chick

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:17 pm

Hiya Rachel

Welcome to the forums!! Hope you enjoy your stay, I'm sure you'll get a lot out of being on here :) :)
Sounds like you've already made some positive changes so you're well on your way.

Good luck with your weight loss, we are all here for you!

Emma
zeedeveelgirl

Postby mary_in_adelaide » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:38 pm

Hi Rachel

Welcome aboard

I have only been on this forum a few days but already I have experienced a load of support & encouragement...as well as all the great information to be had. I truly hope you get the same kind of feelings from these great people and that you'll let them (and me) help you too. It's a good sign that you've signed up to the forum and introduced yourself...never an easy thing to do when you feel so down on yourself (well it wasn't for me anyway). So be proud of the fact you made the decision to do something about your weight and be proud of the fact you reached out to some like-minded people for help. There's two reasons to love yourself right there.

I wish you the very best of luck with your journey.
Cheers, Mary

If I could find a ticker for measurements it would say I'm on the way from a waist measurement of 134cm to one of 70cm (currently at 129cm)
mary_in_adelaide

Postby Ally » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:19 am

HI Rachel and welcome to the forum!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:09 pm

Hi Rachel and welcome to the forum!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Introductions