It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:41 pm

Free Newsletter

Passionate about weight loss and happy to be here

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Passionate about weight loss and happy to be here

Postby ZelmaWA » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:14 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have been wandering around this site on and off for the day and I really like what I see. It is wonderful to find a weight loss site that is Australian. It will be great to 'talk' to people who understand what I am talking about. :lol:

As my name shows, I am from Western Australia. I am 44 years old, although I hardly feel more than a teenager at times. My favourite saying is "Growing old is compulsory, but growing up is optional". I teach in a primary school, which I think helps to keep me feeling young. Last year I taught a year 2 class and this year I have followed most of them up to Year 3. A few have left and I have a few new ones, but basically we will be like an old family. They have been very supportive of me and my new lifestyle and they have even been on TV when I have been on a couple of shows. They will be offering autographs next!

I started my weight loss journey just over 3 years ago now. Wow... it only just occurred to me that it was actually over 3 years. That is a funny feeling. It kinda crept up on me. I started at 160kg and lost 87kg to reach 73kg. My original goal was 68kg, but my body just decided it wanted to stop at 73, and no amount of 'pushing' was going to change it. Believe me... I tried! I ended up making myself ill because I increased my exercise too much and my body told me it needed a break. I have quite a bit of excess skin (thanks for sharing Zelma) and I know that would account for quite a few added kilos, so I will just sit where I am for the moment. Well, actually a couple of extra kilos crept on over winter, and I wasn't able to shake them off over the holidays as I had hoped (father died and I just wasn't up to pushing myself to do anything extra), so I DO plan on getting rid of them once school goes back.

Basically, I have lost the weight through eating better (not LESS, as I still eat three good meals and three snacks a day, they are just MUCH healthier) and moving more. I have a friend who is a dietician and she has given me hints and tips and a lot of support along the way.

I am married to a wonderful man who has always been supportive of me, no matter what my size. He married me when I was about 140kg, and saw me at my biggest, and is now with me when I am at my smallest ever as an adult. He even helps me look for clothes when we go shopping. Not bad huh?

Other than that, I'm not sure how much to tell you. I tend to go on and on about things, but you probably don't want to know my life story at this point in time.

I look forward to getting to know you all.

Take care,

Zelma
Losing weight has given me a "Freedom" that I had never previously experienced as an adult... and I am LOVING it!!!

160kg (2004)... 73kg (2006)... Working on maintaining.

See my photos at: http://www.zelma.neilknobbe.com
ZelmaWA

Postby Jisgone » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:32 pm

did you have a story in the news paper? this is all sounding familiar :P
Jisgone

Postby Ally » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:43 pm

Hi Zelma and welcome aboard the forum!! It is lovely to have you join us!! Thankyou so much for sharing your story with us!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Pinkie » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:09 pm

Hi Zelma, nice to meet you!! Thanks for sharing your story with us, I think you've done so well. Congratulations on your weight loss so far! :D
Pinkie xx

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wBH58xg/]
[/url]
Pinkie

Postby CrimsonThunder » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:16 pm

Hey hey. How did you find the site? Just after your site got posted you joined!
- Stevo
CrimsonThunder

Postby SarahC » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:14 am

Hi Zelma! Thanks for sharing your story with us all - what an inspiration you are :D Great to have you join us!
SarahC

Postby ZelmaWA » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:47 am

Thank you for the warm welcomes everyone.

Jewles - Yep, I was in the local paper and the Sunday Times. I think I was also in a paper in Melbourne, but I'm not sure which one.

Tom - I suppose it did seem as though I was a little quick getting up and running. Actually, Ally had send me an email the night before, as she had been at my website. She told me about this site, so I had already looked around and decided to register by the time she posted my website.

I'm off to go shopping now... :D one of my all time favourite things to do now, whereas I couldn't have cared less about it before. Today is just book shopping though. Clothes shopping will have to wait until pay day.

Have a good day all and I'll catch you all later.

Zelma
Losing weight has given me a "Freedom" that I had never previously experienced as an adult... and I am LOVING it!!!

160kg (2004)... 73kg (2006)... Working on maintaining.

See my photos at: http://www.zelma.neilknobbe.com
ZelmaWA

Postby Nikki_1983 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:49 am

Hi Zelma and Welcome to the forum.... OMG well done :D you have done an excellent job...
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSoJmIs/]
[/url]
Nikki_1983

Postby Jisgone » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:59 am

ooh i think i saw it in the community times, i live in kingsley :)
Jisgone

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:13 am

Hi zelma welcome to the group, im sure can offer lots of advice to everyone based on your own experiences- and hey you might even learn something from us as well :)
kate_turner2000

Postby tiffanyp » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:48 pm

Welcome to the family Zelma!

Your story is truly inspirational and I congratulate you for doing so well.

Your husband sounds lovely! Hang on to him!!!

Look forward to getting to know you over the forum posts.

Tiffany :D
tiffanyp

Postby KimE » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Hello Zelma and welcome to the forum.

What an inspiration and thank you so much for sharing your story with us. Congratulations on your lifestyle change and the weight you have already lost. The pictures on your site are incredible and will help to motivate many people I am sure. Wonderful to have you aboard.

All the best on your weightloss journey. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby hushpuppy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:15 am

HI Zelma and welcome to the forums
Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:53 pm

Hi Zelma and welcome to the forum
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Introductions