It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:44 am

Free Newsletter

Kinda depressing you dont have to read! lol

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Kinda depressing you dont have to read! lol

Postby Beccastar » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:07 pm

Hey there :)

So...I dont know where to start. Im sitting here eating chocolate and drinking a massive glass of the very sugar filled Orange C. I am hopeless lol. I have tried Weight Watchers and TF but I couldnt stick to either of them. Weight Watchers I found pretty good but my will power kills me. I have been comtemplating joinging WW again now but $90 plus $25 a month...I dont know, I mean I can afford it but will it be a waste of money again? I dont know.

Im 21 and weighed myself last night. Im 147kg! Ahhhhhhh! When on earth did that happen?! How insane! I was always a chubby kid and have always been told I will never be a size 8 but even a size 22 sounds great to me right now! I have missed out on so, so much in my 21 years. I grew to just be happy been the fat, funny girl but now I have turned into a total recluse. I dont go out because I spend the whole night sitting there trying to hide the fact that I am fat. Oh mum just offered me some cheese and tomato pizza...I said sure! Arggghhh.

I dont want to be stuck in a "diet" because I know myself and if I restrict myself and say "you cant have bread or chips" ect, I will want them 10 times more. I go on and on to my family about changing our ways (I have a younger brother who isnt fat, mum and dad are average but they are all pretty unfit and unhealthy for sure) but Dad just goes on about how he was raised on chips and steak and thats all he knows and he doesnt want to change. I guess he is trying adding vegetables and stuff but If I make a stir fry, mum makes me add like a kilo of meat or dad will complain "wheres the meat?". Then when we go to eat it he says "We dont live in Asia" and complains he is still hungry afterward. When I tried to cook for just myself, mum would always say "What are you having for dinner? Oh mango chicken and brown rice? Great well and another 3294329 chicken breasts and ill make some white rice and fry some chips for your brother and dad" So it ends up been a unhealthy anyway.

I just feel like I need some help in this and this is the only place where you all seem totally awesome and inspire me so so much. I lurk all the time, you all seem wonderful.

This isnt a good intro, all I did was whinge lol. Im sorry, I just needed to get it out to someone how might, even a tiny tiny bit, understand what I mean instead of rolling their eyes coz im just been difficult lol.

Oh im Bec by the way! :)

Thank you.

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:36 pm

Hi bec have you been here before? you sound really familiar.... anyway best wishes with whatever you choose to do to shed the kilos. we are supportive here :)

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:40 pm

Hi Bec and welcome!

I can imagine it would be very difficult if your family is unsupportive of you. Perhaps it is time to talk to your family and let them know how unhappy this is making you and just say to them that maybe they don't want to change, but that you feel for your health and happiness you need to and ask that they please help you to do that by allowing you to cook your own meals the way you want them. Then you just need to be assertive enough to say "sorry mum, but I'm cooking this the way I need to for my health, once I'm finished and have served mine, you can do what you like with the leftovers, but I need to cook it this way only". It will take you and your family a while to get used to it though.

And we are always happy to be a sounding board for a rant or two.

35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby KimE » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:42 pm

Hello Bec and welcome to the forum.

It's great that you are seeing things for what they are at your age. It might be time for a family meeting, if you are serious to make changes you can get support from your family without them necessarily having to make the changes too. Ultimately you can only lose weight for yourself and if others around you aren't interested it's a difficult task to completely change their minds. Could you explain the things you have just written down to your family? Ask them not to offer you things like pizza and chips and ask your Mum to let you make your own meal. My hubby and I now eat separately cooked meals about 90% of the time. He doesn't want to eat what I eat and I choose not to eat what he eats. We try not to comment on what the other is eating...but it doesn't always work out that way. :D

OK so maybe you could start by trying to clean up your eating rather than making drastic changes that some diet plans do. Eat less junk food. Limit sugary and/or fatty foods. Start moving every day. Start slowly with a gentle 10mins walk and build up from there. Nothing drastic just small changes each week. It is also a good idea to talk to your doc before starting any exercise plan just to get the all clear. Hope even a few words of this can help, there are other gals on here around your age and if they are at home can probably give you better family advice.

I wish you all the best on your weightloss journey. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Postby Beccastar » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:55 pm

Thanks you guys, just the fact you are replying makes me feel so much better.

kate - Thanks heaps :) And nope, this is the first time I have been on these boards. Like I mean I have lurked for a while, but this is the only username I have had here.

Butterfly - Everything you said makes sense. I have to learn to stop pandering to my family and letting me sway me into thinking im just been annoying by wanting to eat healthy. I do need to tell mum and instead of getting mad at her, I can do what you said and just tell her straight out instead of huffing and puffing. Thanks so much :)

Kim - Your totally right, it is time for a family meeting. After reading what you just wrote, you made me realise that before I can help them I have to help myself and to do that I have to listen to what I know and I know pizza and chips are not good at all. You made me think of things a different way. Thank you thank you! :)
Im about to lose it! ....In a good way :)

Postby Lolly » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:06 pm

Bec family can be a big obstacle to weight loss. My hubbys family are all thin and can eat what they like - so they are no help whatsoever :roll:

Let your family know how unhappy your weight is making you and that even if they wont support your efforts, you are going to do it by yourself.

Oh and if you want some supportive family, just call me Aunty Lolly - everyone else seems to as well lol
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

Postby CrimsonThunder » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:45 pm

Hey welcome to the forums.

I go through the same things with my Mum, I hate it when she goes shopping because she always comes home with 2 minute noodles, peanut butter and other unhealthy things. Even though I tell her not too!

You'll get lots of healty recipies here and lots of advice, my advice to you is you should do lots of exersize as just eating healthily wont make you lose weight fast (or barely lose weight at all) and you'll be put off because you wont be getting the results you want.

Good luck!
- Stevo

Postby Ally » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:05 am

Hi Becca and welcome to the forum the ladies and Tom have given you some great advice there already, so I don't feel I need to add any!! Stay strong and know that you can do this without their just makes your success even sweeter in the end!!

Postby slimmindown » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:06 pm

welcome aboard Bec, I hope you find the inspiration and planning skills here that are crucial to making lifestyle changes. there are lots of great recipes and info on the board.
Will power can only get you so far ,but if you start planning ahead you can make some really important changes to your health and lifestyle. :D

Think about tomorrow today and plan your meals, it is proven to have worked for me, and just take one day at a time and you will get there. dont concentatrate to much on the bigger goal it can seem to hard and give you a reason to quit. whereas one day at a time is completely doable for sure, you can do it Bec, we are all here for you. 8)
[no excuses, I can do it!

Return to Introductions