It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:40 pm

Free Newsletter

Hi all

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hi all

Postby ragazzo grasso » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:24 pm

Hi

I'm a 34yo bloke from Sydney.....

I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. :?

I weight about 155kg, 6'4"....and have tried a few different diets and so on...usual suspects: Jenny Craig (Lifetime member...LOL) Sureslim etc. I tend to steer off these after being really dedicated for a week or 2 or 3....

Exercise is an issue for me...I am so unmotivated, and WISH I could discover the whole "addiction to exercise" that I hear people speak of. I injured my knee in a bike accident in '97....and although it gives me a lot of grief, I really use it as an excuse NOT to exercise.

So...basically I am trying to find motivation, maybe some hints and tips on the whole cycle.....

I keep leaning towards buying a recumbant bike for home, in the hope that I'll use it....but I hired a treadmill for a while, and was really dedicated for about 2 weeks, until the excuses for not using it started to creep back in...I don't know what to do about my motivation.

Any ideas? :wink:
one day....clothes off the rack for me
ragazzo grasso

Postby Jisgone » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:00 pm

if your after motivation your at the right place! i think for me a big motivation particularly with food is asking myself 'would u rather be slim, or eat the chips/pizza/chocolate' it keeps me going, and it trains my mind to say no automatically! this forum aswell as the main site http://www.weightloss.com.au have all the information and support u need :) and the challenges are awesome for getting u motivated! get on your bike and help us get to darwin :)
Jisgone

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:32 pm

welcome and best wishes for your weightloss. have a look around the forum and see what motivates other members here to exercise :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Simmy » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:32 pm

Hopefully you'll find the motivation and support your after here. Welcome!
Simmy

Postby CrimsonThunder » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:43 am

Welcome to the forums! Yay another guy, I'm not so alone anymore. >_>
- Stevo
CrimsonThunder

Postby Ally » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:01 am

Hiya Ragazzo and welcome to the forum... Yes it is true that this forum has plenty of motivation, but you have to want to do something about your weight....it may sound harsh, but it is true. you can read about other people motivation all day long, but you need to look to your self to find the strength to succeed. I know because I was the same as you...fed up and tired of being fat and not being able to do the things I loved...but one day I received a big wake up call and that was that I am in control of me and only I can change the way I am.......good on you for taking the first step and I hope that you stay with us to achieve your goals.....diets don't work....change in lifestyle does...you need to find something that suits you, that you can sustain.

Feel free to join in where you feel comfortable to do so and have a look at the challenges on offer here to help get you started...There is a food diary section that you might want to take a look at to see what other people are eating to give you an idea of where to start. The hardest part is making the decision, and taking that first step, but once you do, you won't regret it!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby evilwomaniamshe » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:00 am

welcome ragasso,
We are all on this weightloss journey and the way to get slimmer is a combination of eating healthier and exercise. I am assuming it was a motorcyle accident? Hmnn..... that is too bad. Start out slowly perhaps just walking, that is a great exercise and low impact. Or if you like the bike, buy the bike and pedal in front of the tv watching your favorite show, it really makes the time go by quicker. Slow & steady is the way to go. The more you exercise the more energy you will have..
evilwomaniamshe
evilwomaniamshe

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:04 pm

welcome ragazzo,
the key to maintaining long term healthy habits is to do just that...develop them into a habit!!! That takes a long time and means you have tyo change some usually well ingrained bad habits. So try to start slow - 'motivation' is really easy to maintain for a few weeks, and then you lose it. It's simply not possible to maintain that same degree of all or nothing determination. It is 10 times better to just walk for say 1/2 hour per day for 10 years than to run flat out for 1 hour every day for 2 weeks.

Perhaps you can join in on the exercise diary so you can see it as a challenge. Or set yourself goals such as x km's per week, that way you can have good days and do a heap, and other days where you just manage a bare minimum. My other tip is to try and get your exercise into your daily routine. I had to really push myself to go out ond do 'exercise' every day, but now that I cycle to and from work I don't really notice it any more, it's just how I get to work and home.

If/when you find something that works for you, just stick at it -= different things work for different people - you might find you like the motivating influence of a personal trainer/gym!!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby KimE » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:25 pm

Hello Ragazzo and welcome to the forum.

You've had plenty of good tips and advice already. I agree with Tegan making new habits is what you need to work on. I really didn't like exercise and was happy being a couch potato. Cleaning the house was about as much as I would do. I knew I needed to start moving even a little each day so I started walking during my lunch break. I think I managed it twice the first week, 3 times the second week and by the 4th week I had walked all five days. It kind of took off from there. I loved the time to myself and how it broke the day up for me. I work in the city and get to walk along the waterfront, see all the new buildings that are going up and see the old geisers trying to catch mutated fish from the Yarra (oops not helping Vic tourism here). They're not really mutated but it gave me a laugh! :D Now I love exercise and have recently gotten into jogging....there is a big part of me that laughs itself silly over this to think that I would actually enjoy going for a jog! I don't jog very far but still I give it a go. There are challenges on here too that might help with the motivation.

All the best on your weightloss journey. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby ragazzo grasso » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:22 pm

Hey thanks for the replies....

I just realised that I didn't actually say what my name was...it's Craig. ragazzo grasso actually means fat boy in Italian :lol: :oops:

My mindspace is in the right place at the moment...I'm mentally motivated...as in I'm paying it lip service....now I just have to get off my backside and do something :?
one day....clothes off the rack for me
ragazzo grasso

Postby Lolly » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:28 pm

Welcome aboard Craig and :shock: you are super tall - a giant compared to me :shock: :shock: :shock:
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby mary_in_adelaide » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:27 pm

Welcome aboard the forums Craig

Motivation. Hmmmmmm. Tough one.

The first thing I've learned is....it's gotta be YOUR motivation. Whatever mine is won't work for you. Your wife/girlfriend/mother/best mate/someone on this forum can't make you want to do it...only you can

The next thing I've learned is...it's got to be real...tangible...something you can see or touch. For some it's an event (eg a wedding they want to be beautiful for). For some it's medical. For me it's similar to yours...I want to buy clothes from a "normal" shop (In your signature you say you want to buy clothes off the rack )...So how about a photo of some clothes you want to buy...go buy a magazine or tear something from a catalogue that you REALLY want to wear. Stick the photo on your bathroom mirror or the fridge or the front door so that you see it ALL the time...then each time you want to eat the wrong thing or be lazy instead of exercise look at the photo and ask yourself "do I want to wear that or be a couch potato?"...at the same time say to yourself "I can't have both". If a photo won't get you motivated go buy the article of clothing itself in the size you want to be!

I guess what I'm saying is think really carefully about the reasons YOU want to lose weight...not some vague notion about "being healthy" but the REAL reasons...it's likely the real reason is embarrassing. Like for me it's tied up with the fact I was once picked for a national swimming team and now I would be too embarrassed to wear a swim suit in public :oops:

Once you've been honest with yourself about why you feel the need to lose weight it will be easier to motivate yourself.

I'm not saying you won't still have hard days...you will. You will also have days where nothing gets you moving. But if you are honest with yourself and keep reminding yourself of that personal goal you have it will get easier and easier to make the right choice more often than you make the wrong choice.

I also think you need to set small goals and rewards (not food ones) at regular intervals. EG...5kg lost = buy something for yourself (book, CD, computer game, bottle of nice wine...something you like that you don't buy often or don't do often). It's good to have an ultimate goal but if that's a long way off you need short term goals to keep you motivated. Well I do anyway.

My final piece of advice...don't get cocky about it. I know I've done that before and it's so easy to slip up when you think you've got the whole cravings/couch potato gone thing under control.

I'll stop rambling now
Cheers, Mary

If I could find a ticker for measurements it would say I'm on the way from a waist measurement of 134cm to one of 70cm (currently at 129cm)
mary_in_adelaide

Postby SarahC » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:37 am

Welcome Craig :D I agree, finding the motivation to start, and then actually starting, are very difficult. But once you start you will never look back! You may even become an excercise addict like me :shock:

How about trying some swimming, as that won't put any pressure on your knee. Or see a physio and see what excercises they recommend? The bike sounds great... you could put it in front of the tv (maybe somewhere between the couch and the tv lol) and watch your favourite shows :D

Good luck!
SarahC

Return to Introductions