It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:56 am

Free Newsletter

New Person Lookng for tips

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

New Person Lookng for tips

Postby Monica » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:34 pm

Hi,

I am doing the 'lets lose baby weight' thing. It doesn't look like much - 10kg, but i have been trying for a year to lose it. I have lost the only weight since New Years - 3kg.

I have done this by calorie counting - I am sticking to 1000 - 1200 per day. I am worried that my body may be in starvation mode, but I am too scared to eat ay more calories in case i get out of control again.

Any advice or info?

Thanks
Monica

Postby Lolly » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:12 am

Monica your body may be in starvation mode. I don't think anyone here eats less than 12oo cals per day.

If you are short like me, you may be eating enough though - how tall etc are you, that gives us all something to work with and let you know exactly what you should be eating calorie wise each day.
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:47 am

Hi Monica, it can be scary but your body actually needs to have energy to burn energy. The first while can be up and down, but stick with a health plan and you'll get there in the end!
Cheers,
Tegan
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:20 am

hi monica it can be an anxious time losing weight! to me that sounds like not enough calories and yes your body will go into starvation mode. holding onto every morsel it can have!

you will work it out and what works for you, just do a bit of research and its all trial and error :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:46 am

Hi Monica and welcome to the forum! :D First off congrats on losing the 3kgs. I will voice the same concern as the girls as 1000 cals seems quite low and yes you could possibly be in starvation mode. Unfortunately, years of "diets" can make us believe that we need to starve yourself to lose weight, when in fact the opposite is the case. As Tegan said you actually need to eat to help your body rid itself of the extra fat...yes it sounds silly but it is true...if your body is not getting enough nutrients, it will hang on to the fat stores. You will be amazed at how much you can eat within your calorie range for your weight (1200 should be as low as you go!). Plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, nuts and seeds, lean meat. poultry and fish, wholegrain breads and cereals are all excellent choices...make sure you add some low fat dairy like cheeses, yoghurts and milk.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

thanks

Postby Monica » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:05 am

thanks guys,

my height is about 5'6(not sure in centimetres).

I am pretty sure I'm instarvation mode because i have been on a plateau for 2 weeks.

I have changed my excercise around, changed the food I eat, changed my calorie intake and have joined this forum for support... so, my plateau should shift soon. I am still in a good frame of mind for losing weight, so now it's just a matter of time.
Monica

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:14 am

hi monica

yup everyone reaches a plateau at some stage- its your body getting used to everything so a change and shift in things wont hurt. let us know how it all goes this week and we are here for support should you need it :)
kate_turner2000

Postby SarahC » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:30 pm

Welcome Monica :D I hope you start to shift off your plateau very soon! Mixing up the diet and excercise seems to be the way to go... keep your body guessing what's going to happen to it next lol.
SarahC

SarahC

Postby Monica » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:43 pm

Thanks SarahC,

I have changed my aerobic sessions of 1 hr to swimming sessions of 20 mins. Do you think the reduction in excercise time is a bad thing?

I noticed you are the maintenance crew - congrats... What excercise do you do?
Monica

Postby KimE » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:47 pm

Hello Monica and welcome to the forum.

Well done on your weightloss so far a good effort.

I also agree you don't want to go below 1200 cals per day. The other thing to look at is how much exercise you are doing. I used to have around 1200 cals when I first started out losing weight and as I started to ramp up the exercise I found myself getting hungry and increased it to 1450 approx per day. Your body does actually become quite efficient at burning the extra cals if you are exercising regularly, and works even better if the energy in is of good quality. :D

It all takes a bit of trial and error but stick with it and you will get to your goal.

All the best and let us know how you go. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

thanks

Postby Monica » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:44 pm

Thanks Kim, and congrats on being inthe maintenance crew aswell. You are at my pre-pregnancy weight..

I was going to aerobics 4 times a week, but now i am swimming 4 times a week. Do you think that would warrent 1450 cals per day?

I am really paranoid of eating too many calories. the calorie king says I should eat about 1800 to maintain my weight or 1200 to lose it - but he doesn't really specify how much to increase it by if you are exercising.

Thanks for your help
Monica

Postby KimE » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:10 pm

I found myself actually getting quite hungry at times when I hadn't before. This was mainly late afternoon and my workouts are mostly done just before eating lunch. I ended up increasing by approx 200 cals and I can't quite remember if I added this in the morning or afternoon. This stopped the hunger I was getting and didn't increase my cals too much so I was still in a calorie deficit. We are all different so this may not work for you but you can give it a try. As I said my trigger was due to me becoming hungry as I did more regular exercise and I didn't have this problem on 1200 cals before I started the exercise. However, this didn't happen straight away it was as my body got used to burning the fuel I found I needed a little more. Hope this makes sense.

:D
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby SarahC » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:23 am

That is interesting Kim that you became hungry when you started excercising. I always thought that it might be the excercise making me hungry... but it's nice to hear someone else say it :wink:

Monica, I used to to tonnes of cardio at the gym, like over 60mins every day. But I found that after a while it was not having any effect (besides making me late for work :x ). So I've now cut back a little on the cardio and increased the weights a bit. I also try to do something different every day so my body doesn't fall back into a rut. I put up a 12 day food/excercise diary in here as an example... I'm just running that over and over again, but it changes slightly each time. Too early to say what the results will be... but it's fun :lol:
SarahC

(:

Postby Monica » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:37 am

Thanks Kim,

I found the same thing, I lived on 1200 cals before bub (bb) when i didn't really excercies quite comfortably, but now that I am doing pretty strenuous gym work, it's a lot tougher.

I am officially uping my cal intake to 1450...

I need to remember to support my body through this - not try and do a Nicole Ritchi haha
Monica

Postby KimE » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:20 pm

You can only but try Monica, best of luck.

:D
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Next

Return to Introductions