It is currently Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:53 pm

Free Newsletter

A Newbie

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

A Newbie

Postby Tas » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:27 pm

Hi All

I live in Tasmania - and have had crohn's disorder for many years and am on medication which has piled on the kilo's! 3 weeks ago I decided I have had enough of my weight gain - 3 weeks ago I was 84.7 and decided to purchase some gym equipment, now my office looks like a small gym. I am now 82.9 and appear to be losing about 100 grams per day but still need to lose at least another 10 kilo's. I use my exercise bike daily, actually 3 times a day cycling for about 15 kilometres in total I also use the multi gym and do about 30 reps per day. I am winging this because I have never used gym equipment before so don't know what's good for tummy reducing :)

Ok, I will keep this introduction brief...

Thanks

Maria
Tas

Postby Dolly » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:42 pm

Hi Maria, welcome to the weightloss forum.

This is an excellent place to talk and have people listen who are interested in what you're saying.
On the True Stories site, we have a daily thread that we record all our daily food intake (the good and the bad stuff)
We also have a place to record our exercise for the day. It sounds like you have great determination and that's the key ingredient.
Too often people join the forum and in under a week they give up. This weight took years to build up and it'll be a long steady road to work it all off again.

Tummy Trimming
Resistance Training Program

Train your lower abdominals first
Breath out as you crunch up.
If you have your hands behind your neck, make sure you keep your elbows back, and crunch up using your shoulders. (This will help prevent neck soreness)

Keep your lower back pushed into the floor or bench.
I know that some people don't agree with this but unless you are advanced, and have sufficient abdominal and lower back strength, or have a personal trainer or exercise therapist that is spotting you and can ensure that you're performing the exercise safely, you shouldn't be performing exercises that encourage you to excessively arch your back. Exercises like this are not for "newbies" that are just starting out training their abdominals.
If you're on your own and find in general that your back arches considerably when performing just basic ab exercises then keep your knees bent and closer to your body so that your lower back is pushing into the floor or bench.
Don't overtrain your abs. Three quality training sessions per week is ample. Remember muscle needs recovery time to grow. It's muscle growth that increases your muscle in your midsection. Overtraining will actually deplete the muscle instead of increasing it. So that you can focus on your ab exercises perform them on your cardio days or on non-weight training days.
Don't go overboard with perfroming loads of repetitions. Rather than trying to achieve 5 x 100 crunches per exercise, hold for a count of 2-5, each rep you perform using 4-5 x 12 burning reps. This will get you better results. Your goal is to damage the muscle to promote muscle growth for increased muscle tone - that is when you reduce your body fat you've actually got nice strong abs to show off!
Don' t just train your abs. You need to be performing a full-body program rather than only concentrating on your abdominal region. Direct your attention to training each body part so that you can a achieve a "toned and firm look" all over.

Dolly
Dolly

Hi Back

Postby Tas » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:50 pm

Hi Dolly

Thanks for the welcome! Now I will have a look at the other sections you mentioned.

Oh yes I am a determined person in most things I do or achieve to do - so I am in it for the long stay. I know it will happen, but as you said it took a long time getting to this point so it won't disappear overnight.

Thanks also for the abdomen exercises - I will try them out, I am a bit concerned about doind sit ups because of my crohn's as in the past it has felt a bit uncomfortable afterwards but hey, it's worth another try, thanks a lot for the advice, it is most appreciated.

Maria
Tas

Postby Fairie » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:51 pm

Hi Maria,

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy coming here as much as I do and good luck with your weightloss journey. :D
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby jodestar » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:04 pm

Hi Maria!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the weight you have lost so far. :D
jodestar

Thanks

Postby Tas » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:36 pm

Thank you all for the welome and encouragement. I am determined to get there and knowing my determination I will, even if it takes some time and effort. It's wll worth it.
I am here to encourage you all too...

Cheers
Maria

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Tas

Postby Dolly » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:50 pm

Thanks Maria, I tend to get weak around 3pm every day so I may just pop on the board to look for some words of strength.

cheers
Dolly

Postby hushpuppy » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:52 pm

Hi ya maria and welcome .Glad to see another tassie person om here .
Cheers Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Return to Introductions