It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:35 pm

Free Newsletter

New :)

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

New :)

Postby endoftheworld » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:41 pm

Hello to all.

Height: 184 cm
Weight: 75kg
Goal Weight: 68 kg

A few years ago I had to stop Sport for 2 years, sat around during that period and put on a few kilo's now i do a lot of excersie but i have a habit of eating too much!

I'm not to sure how much Weight I can lose, I'm not even sure if 68 is a realistic goal, but all i know is that i am a bit over weight.

Hoping this board and everyone involved can help me through the next few months.

Cheers.
endoftheworld

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:54 pm

hi there are you male or female?

welcome to the group i am sure you will fit right in. give us a yell if you need anything or want to ask any questions. you will find the encouragement and motivation you need on here.
kate_turner2000

Postby endoftheworld » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:00 pm

male, and thanks :D
endoftheworld

Postby KimE » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:02 am

Hello and welcome to the forum.

For your height you don't seem overweight at all but then it all comes down to how comfortable you feel I guess.

It is great that you do plenty of exercise especially at your age as you are setting up a great habit that will hopefully stay with you for life. If you are seeing the kilos creeping up you may just need to look at cleaning up your eating a bit rather than eating less. Less fatty, junk food if you have a lot of it and cutting down on soft drinks, that sort of thing.

All the best and let us know how you go.

:D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Chelle » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:50 am

Good to see another male join the forum, What kind of sport did you play ??? Good luck with your weight loss journey
Chelle

Postby milkyway » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:00 pm

Greetings! Welcome to the forum. I hope you find plenty of encouragement and support here. All the best for your weightloss journey.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Greetings

Postby Nathan » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:43 pm

Hey endoftheworld.

Good to see another guy on here :D

Your current weight for height is probably ok. Ideally a guy of your height should be between 68 and 85 kg. So 75 seems ok and you would not want to get below 68, that would be getting in an unhealthy weight range.

Remeber, muscle weighs more than fat so 68 - 75 is also only a guide, a lot also depends on your body make up, muscle v fat. Therefore, could I suggest that you have someone check your percentage of body fat, it may be that this is ok, or it may be they recommend you loose some body fat. In which case you can get a more accurate picture of how much to loose, safely.

I work with young men around your age who are involved in sports, particularly rowing. And I know how obsessed they and their team mates become with weight. I hear many conversations from people, for example, hasseling the stroke because he is too 'fat' when there is nothing of him already and they work out in the gym far too hard to loose what little protective body fat they have.

Your BMI is currently 22 and should be between 20 and 25. I think its good you are conscious of whether or not you need to loose weight, but take some friendly advice and find out just how much you might need to loose, given that you are almost in the middle of your weight - height ideal range.

Since you have decreased your sporting you should also become conscious of how much food you used to need to compensate for the amount of exercise you were doing and how much food you need for your current activity level, this well help you to stop putting on weight as typically happens once young people leave school, or stop sports, who have previously been very active.

Some of the young lads I deal with eat in 1/2 a breakfast what I eat in a week but they train like the bejezus and the moment they stop training but keep eating the same they will balloon up like nothing else.

So take time now just to learn about your body, how much you need to eat v how active you are and get into a life long habbit so you don't make the mistake people like me have made and wake up one day and find yourself overweight.

Best of luck bro

Nathan :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wI43W6x/]
[/url]
Nathan

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:53 pm

just to comment on what nathan has said above, the BMI is actually more a guide than a bible. get to the weight you feel most comfortable being instead of what you should or shouldnt be according to the BMI
kate_turner2000

Guides

Postby Nathan » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:19 pm

Hey Kate.

Yes, I agree, thanks, I don't mean to imply that any one measurement is gospel. They are helpful as one of many indicators of measurement; a starting point. And part of that must also be about how we feel and with what we are comfortable with.

Nathan
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wI43W6x/]
[/url]
Nathan

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:38 pm

LOL yeah i know just thought id point it out :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:22 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum! There's been some very good advice given here already! It sounds like you think you need to lose weight but now you're getting some conflicting information so you might be a tad confused (I still am most of the time) . Can I just throw in my 2 cents worth and suggest you go see your GP and just ask them to do a check up on your body mass and explain to them that you feel you need to lose weight and want to know if this is medically the case. As long as you are sure to ask them to, your GP should give you some advice about whether you do or don't need to lose weight, how much you might need to lose and will probably give you some advice also! And they have the benefit of being able to look at you - we don't and are just going on numbers which is a bit hard.

All the best!
Cheers,
Tegan
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby doublebubble » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:37 pm

Welcome :)
doublebubble

Return to Introductions