It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:21 am

Free Newsletter

...your stomach is waving a white flag of surrender...

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

...your stomach is waving a white flag of surrender...

Postby Yogi-Bear » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:42 pm

hi everybody,
i'm holding my new boy on my shoulder so this post will be lower case.
i need to lose some weight to build on a feeling of success and steer away from depression. i'm about 20kg over-weight which isn't alot but i want it gone.
i usually spend hours on internet on topics like cycling and sailing which are things i love. i am thinking if it works for these things then why not weight-loss too? this is the first forum i have joined and i think it will be fun.
i used to be 70kg and it co-incided with one of the best times in my life. i don't think that being fat is worth it at all. there is nothing i admire about fat people although i accept them and all, i just don't want to be that myself. i hope this offends no-one at all.
i am a 45 year old married man. at the end of last year i started cycling to work (22km return) and it amazed me how out of shape i'd let myself become. I was absolutely stuffed at night but once i bit the bullet i didn't miss one day at all. as far as i am concerned i will cycle to work for the rest of my life.
now i need to get the food under control. i find eating 100 times harder to control than exercising which is something i naturally love to do. i started about 2 weeks ago with a calorie counter diary. i thought it would be a piece of cake after my success with exercizing. i would think that i only have to manage things until my next meal. it worked for a few days then i just went in the opposite direction and ate too much without being able to stop myself.
also i am eating way too much judging by the diary. i'ved looked at some of the meals you are eating and i cannot believe it. you are eating nothing at all by my estimation. i need to start learning really and this is the place to do it.
i'm a bit concerned i may have said the wrong thing about fat people. i just cannot accept that it is okay to let yourself go. i've let myself go too. so hi everybody...
Yogi-Bear

Postby KimE » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:25 pm

Hello Yogi-bear and welcome to the forum.

LOL my husband thinks I hardly eat anything yet I eat all day long. Since being at home (on holiday for a week) he realises now I eat heaps. Also keep in mind men and women have different energy needs since your natural muscle tends to give you a naturally higher metabolism (grrrr...just kidding). However, if you have gotten used to eating way more than you actually need well it makes no difference how good your metabolism is. The biggest thing I have learnt through my weightloss is understanding how much food I really need a day. It is surprising how much extra we like to shovel in and that's why learning portion control is a big factor people keep coming back to. You have to re-train yourself where your diet is concerned and this is a skill that takes some time to build. Be patient and tenacious and you will get there.

How old is you new boy?

All the best and let us know how you progress. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby milkyway » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:29 pm

Hi there yogi bear - one of the things I quickly learnt when I started my weightloss journey is that my lack of portion control is what lead to me putting on weight. I am a fit and active person (always have been) but in recent years, the weight has crept on and stayed on, regardless of how much exercise I do!

I bought myself a set of scales, logged on to http://www.calorieking.com and was shocked to find that what I thought was a portion of rice, was actually 2 and bit times a 'normal' portion. It really was quite shocking! My apetite has since decreased significantly and I get fuller quicker - both good things.

You sound pretty angry towards yourself, that you 'let yourself go'.

I disagree that being overweight is simply a matter of 'letting yourself go'. Sure, sometimes it's just laziness and a love of food, but lots of people gain weight for various other reasons, usually emotional and until you're able to get to the bottom of those reasons, you'll struggle to lose the weight and most importantly, maintain the weightloss.

All the best for your journey and I hope you find support and great advice here.

Sandra
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:23 pm

Hi Yogi Bear and welcome to the forum!
I too cycle (approx 30km per day, 38km if I actually go to uni) and I found it helped with my weight loss heaps (although I have now gotten stuck) but the eating is definitely a BIG factor.

Keep in mind that the more exercise you are doing, the more you will need to eat, but if you are overdoing it, try keeping a food diary or plan ahead what you will eat that day and when. But make sure if you do this that you do it sensibly and make changes slowly because otherwise you will really struggle to maintain the changes after a couple of weeks.

As far as your comments about fat people, I think maybe you are reflecting a lot of your feelings about yourself at the moment and I assume that you mean that you don't think being fat is good (which is different to saying you don't admire anything about fat people since fat people can also be kind, intelligent, funny etc which are all admirable attributes, they just also happen to be fat, which is a not so admirable attribute). Funnily enough, most of us also believe that being overweight is nothing to cheer about - that's why we're on this forum trying to combat whatever it is that has led us to being overweight.

Cheers,
Tegan
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:27 pm

hi there yogi :) welcome to the group, hows the new boy going? i cant really add anything to what the girls have already said except welcome and im sure if you have any questions we can try our best to answer them for you :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Dee » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:23 pm

lol - yeah, what Kate said! hehehehe

Good luck, and don't forget to sing out if you're looking for support or advice - we're keen to help.
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby Yogi-Bear » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:48 pm

Whoa,
Do you girls/ladies some some kind of shamanic/ angelic channelling thing going or something? I found all your replies very helpful and wise. Thankyou very much and I'm pondering them already. I am touched that you have replied.

I am totally impressed with the 38km cycling- thats definitely angel material- Charlies that is.

My son was born on 3/4 and he has a sister nearly 2 years old. So it is pretty busy around here. But tonight some friends came over we haven't seen for a while and commented on how fit and well i was looking. I was pretty proud of myself and it was uplifting to hear such off the cuff praise.

I'll endeavour to support the forum as well. Thanks!!
Yogi-Bear

Postby KimE » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:18 am

Congratulations on the birth of your son. You did very well to type that first post juggling him. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Mandie » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:43 am

Best of luck... some great advice above. calorieking.com.au is a fantastic resource.

welcome aboard!
Mandie

Postby aramat1980 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:50 am

congratulations on your new bubba!

and with the support that everyone gives on this site, i see you being slim and slender in no time!
aramat1980

Postby Lolly » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:00 am

Yogi-Bear wrote:Whoa,
Do you girls/ladies some some kind of shamanic/ angelic channelling thing going or something?

I am the angelic one :lol:

Welcome Yogi - I have to lose about the same as you - of course, I detest exercise and seriously think I have an allergy to sweat at the moment :lol:

Good luck with getting portion control underway, it is a big battle but one that must be fought to reach your goals. Personally, I eat HEAPS and tend to graze all day (I have taken over from the cows in the paddock next door lol) but that works for me.

Oh, and if you slip up, off to the confessional and then move on.................... speaking of which, I must head on over there and confess all my sins for I have been a super BAAAAAAAAAAAAD girl.
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:17 am

wow a little bubba!!! whats his name!! *cluck cluck*

sounds like you have your hands full with two little ones, i just have one little one. i bet it felt great getting those comments from your friends. it really helps to motivate you and encourages you to keep going with your weightloss :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Chunkster » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:39 am

Welcome Yogi,

You are in the right spot for encouragement and motivation!!!

I give the forum a read each day and it keeps my mind focused on my weightloss goals!!!

Keep at it...and share your thoughts and progress with us when you want. :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wamVCMb/]
[/url]
Chunkster

Postby Yogi-Bear » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:49 am

Thanks everybody for your comments. It is funny how much i have dialogued in my head about the comments made on this forum today. Do you find yourselves doing the same thing? It is very helpful.
Today I was thinking rather melodrammitically perhaps, that losing weight is more like what I would imagine drug withdrawal to be. You come up against this insurmountable wall inside as if you are facing your demons. There is alot more to this than cutting back on pies and beer for a while.
My son's name is Gregory as I like old-fashioned names. He is pretty good but it is very tiring at the moment and I get to bed too late and don't sleep fully.
I really want to beat this. I look at my wife and great family and know I am better than this middle age spread. It is important to look your best as it gives hope, confidence and respect to everybody in the near vicinity (especially yourself).
usta la vista
Yogi-Bear

Postby aramat1980 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:02 am

Your son's name is lovely Yogi.
My youngest child is Harry (after his grandfather and his father too)! (oldest is Keinan)
aramat1980

Next

Return to Introductions