It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:21 am

Free Newsletter

Hi

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hi

Postby Debs1984 » Tue May 01, 2007 11:17 pm

Hi guys, I've been reading this forum over the last few days and decided it was time to make myself accountable, you sound like a really nice group of people here. My story is kind of a long one, so I won't bore you with the details, but basically, I am invovled in a sport in which I need to be at a certain weight, at the moment I am struggling to get back to that weight after a year off, so thought i'd try this forum and see if it helps me on my way.
Deb
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wQUnF8D/]
[/url]
Debs1984

Postby milkyway » Tue May 01, 2007 11:28 pm

No such thing as a long boring story - I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to hear more... but in your own time :)

Welcome to the forum and I hope you find plenty of support and encouragement here. I look forward to sharing your progress.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby tinker » Tue May 01, 2007 11:45 pm

Hi Debs - Welcome to the forum. Sandra's right - we'd love to hear your story if you decide you'd like to share it one day. I'm sure you'll find lots of inspiration & motivation through the forum to help you on your way.
tinker

my story

Postby Debs1984 » Tue May 01, 2007 11:56 pm

Okay, well, here goes. I am 22 years old and have always been of average weight, around 67kg and 174cm tall. I took up rowing as a competitive sport about 3 years ago and progressed rather quickly, but was told I would only ever make it as a 'lightweight', which is under 57kg. So, I started my journey of getting down to weight, it was easy to start with, but I plateaued at about 60kg. I finally managed to break the plateau, with the pressures of weigh-ins looming and the weight started coming off more easily, however, I then couldn't maintain it and kept losing, down to a low of 51kg (BMI 16.8). After seeking help, I managed to put weight back on, but then struggled for the remainder of the season, yo-yoing up and down from 55-62kg.

Come crunch time, at nationals last year, I was stuck at about 61kg, with a week to go before having to be under 57kg. I did make it, but there was a lot of sweat running and starvation involved... come the end of the week, when there were no weigh-ins left I found myself eating anything and everything that I'd been deprived of for so long. This continued for awhile, and it was a constant struggle to realise my bodies true hunger signs as I had ignored them for so long. I went overseas a couple of months later and my weight just kept going up, to a high of 72kg.

Since getting back from overseas at christmas time, I have had many attempts at getting my weight back down, with little success. It is now the start of a new rowing season, and I am keen to at least get back to about 62kg and possibly, depending on how my body is coping, give nationals another shot. This time, however, I am determined to do things properly and listen to what my body is telling me.

I know that what I did would have damaged my metabolism and that is why it is now harder for me to lose weight, however, I am hoping that with the right diet and training, I will be able to get back to a point where I am comfortable with my body.

Deb
[/url]
Debs1984

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed May 02, 2007 9:00 am

hey debs welcome, thanks for sharing your story with us, its nice to get some background on the members here :) best wishes :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Sassygirl » Wed May 02, 2007 11:44 am

Well you have taken the first step in getting your life back in order - so congratulations for that. Everyone here is in the same boat (no pun indended!!!!!) as you with one main goal - to get healthy and lose weight. With all the support and encouragement from the wonderful people on this site - I am certain that you will get back to where you want to be. Looking forward to getting to know you :D
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed May 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Welcome to the forum! Given that you are involved in a sport and are required to be at peak fitness, I would really consider getting a nutritionalist's help so that you know you are getting the nutrition you need to keep your body in a condition that allows you to put so much physical pressure on it. I'm looking forward to sharing your progress and successes!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Chelle » Wed May 02, 2007 3:26 pm

Thank's for sharing your story deb. I agree with butterfly_dawn see a nutritionist it will be able to help you & put you back on track to loss weight & with the right eating plan & exercise you won't have to worry about your weight to compeate in rowing. Good luck with your weightloss journey.
Chelle

Postby slimmindown » Wed May 02, 2007 3:35 pm

Nice to see another Deb on the forum(I'm a Deb too).
Good luck with getting to your goal, rowing is such a demanding sport you must be very dedicated and fit.. :D
[no excuses, I can do it!
slimmindown

Postby KimE » Wed May 02, 2007 6:35 pm

Hello Deb and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for posting your story and it wasn't boring at all. Loved reading about your progress and the ups and downs of weight maintenance specific for sport. I had no idea that rowing had weight restrictions for different classes. I like using the rower at the gym but I am sure the real thing is a whole other kettle of fish.

Good luck on your journey.

:D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Jisgone » Wed May 02, 2007 8:46 pm

welcome along deb, youll find so much support and alot of ears ready to listen around here :)
Jisgone

Postby milkyway » Thu May 03, 2007 12:25 am

Thank you for opening up and sharing your story. It's not a boring story at all and I really enjoyed reading it. :D
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Debs1984 » Thu May 03, 2007 11:30 pm

Hi guys,
Thanks for all your replys, you all sound really nice. I do consult with a nutritionist to work out my diet, but sometimes find it hard to stick to as I am given a fair amount of personal choice. Look forward to chatting more on these forums.
Deb
[/url]
Debs1984

Return to Introductions