It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:04 am

Free Newsletter

PLEASE help me...

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

PLEASE help me...

Postby AussieGuy » Sun May 20, 2007 5:04 pm

Reading some of these forums can make ya cry...

Anyway my name is Paul and need help...

I'm 38 married with 4 kids been married for 15 years and been with her for 18 years...I have always been fat around 105kg most of my life...I even went to 89kg about 14 years back..I weight around 135 last time i checked...

I gave up smoking 6 months back and food has taken over my life i am a hard worker when it comes to work but i'm also a lazy ass too when i'm at home...

I know nothing about weight loss or were to start i don't know nothing about exercise as well...I also nearly lost my marriage a few years back coz i feel that i'm not what she needs anymore...

I would love to be slim and wear great clothes and have muscles in all the right places but i just don't have any idear on were to start or how to get stared...I have checked alot of stuff on here but was frighten for some reason...

Sorry if i have bored anyone just wanted to tell u how i feel....

Paul
AussieGuy

Postby Chelle » Sun May 20, 2007 5:33 pm

Hey Paul Welcome to the forum, Congrats for giving up smoking you will probly find even though it has been 6 months that you have giving up, but you are probly replacing smoking with food because it is a bad habbit of putting somthing up to your mouth. How old are you children, you say that you are a hard worker but lazy at home & feel like that you don't have any motivation why don't you encorperate you children into exercise around the house like take them to the park, kicking a football / soccer ball around or at home, maby buy yourself a bike & go for a ride with them. You have to focus on what you are eating to loose weight & you have to drink lots of water & exercise find somthing that you enjoy that you know that you are going to want to exercise. You say that you want to have muscles start with weight training with cardio, boxing martial arts, If you don't know where to start go see a nutritionist or join a gym they have personal trainers that can guide you in the right direction. Congratulations on changing you lifestlye this forum & the people on here are more that happy to help you on the way & are here any time to talk you will find lots of helpful information to help you. Goodluck & have an happy & healthy weightloss journey.
Chelle

Postby madeline » Sun May 20, 2007 5:33 pm

*hugs*

i don't really know what to say, but just know that there's plenty of help in this forum. have a click around, and see what great things everyone else has done. know that you'll always have support and encouragement on this forum. the people here are uber uber nice hehe.

it doesn't matter whether you have 3kg or 30kg to lose, we'll all on the same journey.

madz
"Ððñ'† µ wï§h ¥ðµr gïrl£rïêñÐ wå§ hð† lïkê mê, Ððñ'† ¥å ßåߥ ;)"
CW- 57kgs, GW- 53kgs (8kgs lost!)
madeline

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun May 20, 2007 5:50 pm

madeline wrote:
it doesn't matter whether you have 3kg or 30kg to lose, we'll all on the same journey.

i agree with you madz! we are all here because we have had problems with our weight.

welcome paul. i can understand how you are a bit frightened by it all. it can also be exciting but daunting because you are trying something new. make small changes over a period of time. eat healthier and get moving. i used to think i was exercising enough at work (a child care worker) but you really need to do extra on top of that. check out http://www.calorieking.com.au and see how many calories you are supposed to be eating a day. you will probably find the food database helpful because it really opens your eyes up to foods and beverages you are eating every day which really should be considered a 'sometimes' food.

ask any questions you like paul, we arent here to judge. you will have bad days and good :) learn from the bad days :) take care
kate_turner2000

Postby BubbleButt » Sun May 20, 2007 6:53 pm

Congratulations Paul for being brave enough to post here and ask for help. I know many men in the same boat as you and refuse to ask for help, even when it's offered. I think it's wonderful that you have been able to take that first step.

I have only been a member for a week and I love it in here. I may not post every day but I sure do read a lot. You will find all the inspiration you need in here. These wonderful people are just amazing.

The only thing I can really think of that may help you is to see a nutritionist or a dietician. If you are determined to do something then you will succeed.

I am following the Tony Ferguson program as I found it hard not to eat something I shouldn't, whereas with this, I only have to buy food for dinner and snacks. Takes a huge weight off of my shoulders (if you pardon the pun) because I don't have that temptation when it's not in our house.

Good luck with it all and please stay around and let us know how you go.

:mrgreen:
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
BubbleButt

Postby milkyway » Sun May 20, 2007 6:56 pm

Hi Paul and welcome to our forum.

Congratulations on giving up smoking. That is not an easy thing to do. That shows that you do have determination and strength that you will be able to apply to your weightloss :) I quit about 6 years ago and I put on quite a few kilos because I found myself shoving biscuits and sweetie treats into my mouth instead of smoking!

You've already gotten some really good advice here. The trick is, and well, it's not really a trick, is to keep it simple, or at least to start simple.

Make some small changes each week to your lifestyle. Don't even think about 'going on a diet'. You're going to make some changes to your eating habits and lifestyle that you'll stick with forever. It's not about food denial, it's about moderation and being realistic with yourself about what is a moderate amount of X. If you go all out too soon, there's a greater chance that you will fall off the wagon and you'll feel like a failure if you do so.

There's a guy on this forum called Donk who has lost heaps of weight and is almost at his goal weight. You can check out his photo thread for some inspiration. If I remember correctly, he started his weightloss journey by simply walking everyday, gradually increasing the amount of kms he does. He's now running 5-8km frequently, too! Great stuff.

At this point in time, walking would be a great start for you and as Chelle said, see if you can incorporate your family into it - get down to the park with them and most importantly, just get moving. Don't start out expecting to walk 30 mins a day - try a 10 minute walk around the block first. You'll be surprised how quickly that 10 minute walk grows to 20 minutes and up to 30 minutes. You don't want to start out doing too much because you'll risk injury and you'll probably not enjoy it. Park your car further from the station, get off the bus/train/tram early and walk that extra bit to work. Find ways to include more incidental exercise into your day.

What kind of sports did you enjoy doing/playing when you were younger? I found that I love doing martial arts and if I enjoy something, I'm out the door and on my way there without having to go through that internal dialogue - but I'm too tired, it's too cold, my uniform is still damp, my ankle hurts etc. If you can find a sport or form of exercise you enjoy, you'll stick with it and even look forward to it :)

The next thing to do is start drinking 2 litres of water every day. There are lots of tips and advice on here about how to get more water into you.

If you're drinking lots of soft drinks, substitute them with water and diet soft drinks - although the diet softies have all kinds of nasty chemicals in them that aren't good for you in the long term, but as a way of weaning you off coke etc. it's a good start. I myself am a Pepsi Max addict.

Then, as Kate suggest, check out the Calorie King website for information on serving sizes and what you should be eating etc. I was amazed to discover what a real portion is! No wonder I was having trouble shifting some weight. I thought I was eating healthily and I was, but just too much of it!

And finally, if you have any underlying issues as to why you are overweight, you need to get those sorted out otherwise you will stay on the weightloss/weight gain rollercoaster. So if you need to, see a professional counsellor.

I wish you well for your journey ahead. Any questions, just sing out :D
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun May 20, 2007 8:19 pm

Hi Paul,

It is understandable to be frightened at first - losing weight requires changing a lot of things and change is frightening. But you don't have to change everything at once. Start slowly and change little things gradually. Maybe just start by going for a 10-15min walk every day (or whatever distance you feel is good for you). Then you can slowly start to add more changes: replace processed foods with vegies/wholesome foods one by one, do a bit more exercise every day, reduce your portion sizes. Try not to go too hard too soon, although it can be tempting, you can quickly lose the motivation to maintain big changes.

It may help to just do nothing at the moment, just use the exercise and food diaries on the site until you know exactly where you are now and identify things you can change.

Anything you choose to do, we are here to help!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Fairie » Sun May 20, 2007 8:27 pm

Hi Paul and Welcome.

Like Madz said we are all on the same journey and are all here to help and support each other. :D
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby Dolly » Sun May 20, 2007 8:46 pm

Hey there Paul,
Only one person can make your journey to being slim and thats you.
We'll be here to support you though the good times and the bad Image

Find a diet or just cut out the fat and the sugar but stick to your plan, if you break your rules once, it's so easy to break it daily.
Drinking 8 glasses of water per day can mean the difference between being slim or staying large.
Exercise at least 5 times per week is also important (I'm just starting back today too, after a long break, we can and will do this!)
You can start off by just walking to the bottom of your street, and adding more distance when you are ready.
Here's the forums home page ~ click here ~

The mind boggles when you read through the huge forum, just read the sections that interest you a bit each day.
Dolly

Postby Jisgone » Sun May 20, 2007 8:48 pm

hi paul and congratulations for making your first step to losing weight :) its a big journey and starting is the hardest part! were all here if u ever need anything :)
Jisgone

Postby AussieGuy » Sun May 20, 2007 11:12 pm

Thanks heaps...I know i can do it...I just never had an understanding of food or anything like that...Giving up smoking and now the food taste so great...I look in the mirror and i look so ...Anyway thanks for taking the time and seeing a little about me... :D
AussieGuy

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon May 21, 2007 8:56 am

hey paul well done for giving up smoking too. i dont smoke and have only had a drag of one when i was younger at school and didnt like it. my fiance smokes and the smell makes me ill. i almost threw up in the car from it the other day.

as for not knowing about food. i think a lot of it is that many of us are uneducated when it comes to nutrition and whats good for us. you can turn that around it just takes hard work and dedication but your body and mind will thank you for it for the rest of your life :)
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Tue May 22, 2007 7:00 pm

Hello Paul and welcome to the forum.

The others have given plenty of advice on how to get started so sing out if you need any more help. You can always come here for any support and motivation you need.

All the best and let us know how you go. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Paul

Postby ISparkyI » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:03 am

G'day Paul

Sounds like you and I have a lot in common.

I never knew where to start as well and I must say from the looks of this forum you are definitely on the right track.

Before I started getting serious about losing weight I was around about 120 kilos.

http://www.calorieking.com has been excellent in helping me understand what calories certain foods have and what i can and cannot indulge in.

The best thing I have done is go to a Lifestyles Coach though. I had all my stats recorded which included obviously my weight, my height, my age, cms around certain parts of my body and also skin fold testing. I also saw a doctor afterwards to confirm that the exercises and routines she recommended were okay with my health.

I have been losing weight for about 2 months now and with the stats I have been able to start targetting certain exercises for certain areas.

If you ask me mate, you can do it and obviously have the desire for it. Honestly if you are anything like me I wasn't able to do it for myself and had to get professional help. But I will never look back now for the simple fact I have guidance and now know what I am doing.

I have lost around 18 - 20 kilos in the last 4 months and am fully addicted to the new results I am achieving . . You Can Do It.

PS: sorry guys if I have written too much . .

Shaun
Nothing Ventured . . Nothing Gained . . .

ISparkyI

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:56 am

no such thing Shaun, many of us have written longer posts int he past :oops:
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Next

Return to Introductions