It is currently Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:03 am

Free Newsletter

i need your help

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

i need your help

Postby trainer » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:38 pm

hi everyone,

i am a research officer at sydney university doing a training project on type 2 diabetes. i have recruited and started training all the diabetes participants for the study but need 4 more overweight men and 5 healthy-weight men to participate. men between thae ages of 40 and 59.

does anyone have an idea on how to find people to participate or know of anyone who would be interested? basically it is a four week supervised exercise program with some non-invasive scans and tests before and after the period for the overweight group. the healthy-weight group only need to do one morning of tests and scans and thats all. ethics approval has been granted.

the research is happeneing at lidcombe and liverpool. any ideas or leads would be greatly appreciated. message back to this or email me on [email protected].

thank you

Postby milkyway » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:06 pm

Hi Kim - have you tried advertising in the gyms around the Lidcombe and Liverpool areas? That may help track down your healthier subjects. Also jump on the Cool Runnings website forum and post there - lots of healthy runners who might be up for a free prod and poke if they can learn about more about their health. I saw a podiatrist from Melbourne recently score a whole bunch of male runners in a particular age group for a study. If you can put an angle/spin on it and sell it so it looks like they're getting something out of the experience, that might also help. (e.g. Want 4 weeks of free personal training? Want a free MRI and brain scan :P or whatever kind of test it is that you're doing.)

What kind of benefits can the participants expect to get? Think about it from their perspective, rather than what you want them to do and what you want to get out of it. From what I've noticed about posters on the Cool Runnings forum, they're very interested in how their bodies perform and I guess approaching it from the angle of free results - maybe they're all itching to have an MRI scan but unwilling to pay for it. That kind of thing. Hope that makes sense?

And finally, could you contact some medical clinics in the Lidcombe and Liverpool areas to ask if they could recommend the study to some of their diabetic patients? Same as above - sell it to the participants.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg

Postby trainer » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:10 am

Return to Introductions